Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Macbeth: Works Inspired by the Play

Are you aware of literary, musical, cinematic, visual art, or other works that have been inspired by Macbeth or aspects of it? 
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

Re: OT (Off-Topic) Chatroom: "The Boar's Head Tavern"

For those who enjoy mysteries from time to time, Ngaio Marsh's Light Thickens is about a murder that takes plac during a production of Macbeth.  The play is central to the mystery, since the action develops during rehearsals and performances of the play.  The curse of the play is also a notable element in the story.

Her renditions of the theater are very accurate, since she was herself an accomplished theater director whose productions included several Shakespeare plays.  She was honored in New Zealand theater by circles by having the theater at the University of Canterbury named in her honor.  

RTA
0 Kudos

Re: Macbeth: Works Inspired by the Play

Scotland, Pa. is a film inspired by Macbeth.  Set in the 70s it tells the story of a husband and wife fast food duo who deep fry their boss and take over the restaurant.  It’s a dark comedy that misses on just about every cylinder but is still eerily amusing to watch.  As I recall, there are moments where you can see what could have been with the film.  I haven’t watched it since college, but maybe I’m due for another look see.

Also, Rupert Goold’s recent production of Macbeth has achieved consistently solid reviews, earning transfers from the Chichester Festival Theatre to the West End (where Goold won an Olivier Award for best director) to Brooklyn and then to Broadway (where the production earned some Tony nods). 

Here’s some interesting commentary from Goold about his interpretation of the play, and if you watch the somewhat annoying video imbedded in the article, he makes a fairly stunning comment at the end about American audiences compared to British audiences.  

Here’s Ben Brantley's review of the production at the Brooklyn Academy of Music.  And a review from the production at the Gielgud.

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 10 members 429 guests
Recent logins:
Please welcome our newest community members: