Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
mercygrey
0 Kudos

New Book Club member, and new teacher

Hello. I am a special education teacher for middle and high school English. I am a "late bloomer", going into teaching at 40 - this is my first year. I've been having a great year so far (we've read works like Of Mice & Men, Sounder). But I've been wanting to fit in Shakespeare the last 9 weeks. My regular ed. teacher down the hall recommended Summer's Night, so this is a wonderful opportunity for me! I am extremely interested in any suggestions on teaching strategies for special education & Shakespeare - easier books (wording) for my lower students, CD's that use easier vocabulary. Don't misunderstand me, I want to keep as much of the shakespearian lanugage and structure, but sometimes I need to explain in more detail than a regular education class would.
Any suggestions would be appreciated. I am picking up my copy tomorrow, and look forward to participating in this forum. Thank you.

Tina
Contributor
LibbyLane
0 Kudos

Re: New Book Club member, and new teacher

Brave soul! Adapting Shakespeare for special education English is a major challenge. I've sat in on a few special education English classes at the high school level, and I've seen how well the kids can do with a teacher who's willing to push & challenge them. I'll ask the teacher I sat in with if he has any tips to pass on (he has a theatre background, too).

Best of luck,
Elizabeth
Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 966
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33
0 Kudos

Re: New Book Club member, and new teacher

At our BN (I'm a bookseller), we usually recommend a "No-Fear" Shakespeare from Sparknotes if a customer thinks he/she needs a bit of a boost. Each play (Sonnets, too) is published in a 2 page format - the original on one side and the facing page has a modern English version, definitions, etc, and the print is larger than some editions. I hear good things about No-Fear from people who easily get tripped up by "Shakespeare English." :smileyhappy:

mercygrey wrote:
Hello. I am a special education teacher for middle and high school English. I am a "late bloomer", going into teaching at 40 - this is my first year. I've been having a great year so far (we've read works like Of Mice & Men, Sounder). But I've been wanting to fit in Shakespeare the last 9 weeks. My regular ed. teacher down the hall recommended Summer's Night, so this is a wonderful opportunity for me! I am extremely interested in any suggestions on teaching strategies for special education & Shakespeare - easier books (wording) for my lower students, CD's that use easier vocabulary. Don't misunderstand me, I want to keep as much of the shakespearian lanugage and structure, but sometimes I need to explain in more detail than a regular education class would.
Any suggestions would be appreciated. I am picking up my copy tomorrow, and look forward to participating in this forum. Thank you.

Tina

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 32 members 587 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: