Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: OT (Off-Topic) Chatroom: "The Boar's Head Tavern"

But if you believe your Marcus Aurelius truth, what we think we know about what went on in Germany is merely opinion or perspective.

Yes, as our discussions here have illustrated - what I think are the facts about what went on in Germany is not the same as what you think went on.  We all have diffferent versions/opinions about the 'truth' which is what the Marcus Aurelius quote means.   

Everyman wrote:

But if you believe your Marcus Aurelius truth, what we think we know about what went on in Germany is merely opinion or perspective.  You seem to change your belief about truth depending on whether it's something you belive (truth) or something others believe (only opinion of perspective).

Choisya wrote:

There is philosophical 'truth' and there is verifiable fact.  Most of what happened in Germany is verifiable fact.  The original statement was 'and there is a divinity that shapes our ends, that is for certain''Divinity' is not a verifiable fact.

Everyman wrote:

Yes, I do recall your posting in the past " I don't believe there is any such thing as truth."

And yet as to certain other issues we have discussed, such as certain happenings in Germany a few decades ago, you seemed quite adamant that there were certain things that were true and not just opinion.

So you do confuse me about this.  Seems when you have a strong belief you want to call it truth, but when others want to speak of truth you deny that there is any such thing.

Choisya wrote:

Ah but what is truth?:smileysurprised:   As Marcus Aurelius supposedly said 'Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.'    

Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

Actually, I don't think we have ever disagreed about the facts of what went on.  What we have disagreed about is such things as who knew what when about what was going on, and how to interpret some things such as how to classify a filmmaker's work.  But I don't recall any disagreement about the facts. 

Choisya wrote:

But if you believe your Marcus Aurelius truth, what we think we know about what went on in Germany is merely opinion or perspective.

Yes, as our discussions here have illustrated - what I think are the facts about what went on in Germany is not the same as what you think went on.  We all have diffferent versions/opinions about the 'truth' which is what the Marcus Aurelius quote means.   

Everyman wrote:

But if you believe your Marcus Aurelius truth, what we think we know about what went on in Germany is merely opinion or perspective.  You seem to change your belief about truth depending on whether it's something you belive (truth) or something others believe (only opinion of perspective).

Choisya wrote:

There is philosophical 'truth' and there is verifiable fact.  Most of what happened in Germany is verifiable fact.  The original statement was 'and there is a divinity that shapes our ends, that is for certain''Divinity' is not a verifiable fact.

Everyman wrote:

Yes, I do recall your posting in the past " I don't believe there is any such thing as truth."

And yet as to certain other issues we have discussed, such as certain happenings in Germany a few decades ago, you seemed quite adamant that there were certain things that were true and not just opinion.

So you do confuse me about this.  Seems when you have a strong belief you want to call it truth, but when others want to speak of truth you deny that there is any such thing.

Choisya wrote:

Ah but what is truth?:smileysurprised:   As Marcus Aurelius supposedly said 'Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.'    

0 Kudos

I saw it as a fairly serious disagreement about the interpretation of what I saw as the facts, which rather proves the points I have made here.  However, I certainly do not want to get into this particular discussion again. 

Everyman wrote:

Actually, I don't think we have ever disagreed about the facts of what went on.  What we have disagreed about is such things as who knew what when about what was going on, and how to interpret some things such as how to classify a filmmaker's work.  But I don't recall any disagreement about the facts. 

Choisya wrote:

Everyman wrote:

Choisya wrote:

Everyman wrote:

Choisya wrote:

RTA
Wordsmith
RTA
0 Kudos

Quick question that doesn’t have anything to do with Shakespeare, sorry.  I got an email last week saying that I now have to use a B&N account in order to use the book forum.  Does anyone here know if that means that I have sign up with all my personal information in order to have an account on this board?  I think I’m kind of reluctant to do that.  Does anyone else have an issue with this, or am I just being recalcitrant?
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

You have to have an account with Barnes and Noble, but as far as I know that involves JUST a name, email address, and password.  I don't believe you have to provide any address, credit card, or other information.  Really, nothing more than  you had to provide to sign up here on the bookclubs.  

RTA wrote:
Quick question that doesn’t have anything to do with Shakespeare, sorry.  I got an email last week saying that I now have to use a B&N account in order to use the book forum.  Does anyone here know if that means that I have sign up with all my personal information in order to have an account on this board?  I think I’m kind of reluctant to do that.  Does anyone else have an issue with this, or am I just being recalcitrant?

0 Kudos

RTA wrote:

Not a problem, RTA.  This is just the place for you to makes posts of this kind. 

The BN.com Book Club administrators are handling questions about this login matter, here.  If you go to that thread, you might see some of your questions answered, and you will be able to ask more of your own.  The administrators are the best ones to address this one.

Hope that helps!

~ConnieK

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

Thought I'd drop by for a draft and to leave a link that may be of interest to some of the Shakepeare buffs here:

http://www.utexas.edu/cola/depts/english/

Two items here: One on a plenary address by Douglas Bruster at the International Shakepeare Conference, the other on Shakespeare and the Power of Performance by Robert Weimann and Bruster.

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Thanks P - that book looks very interesting, might try and get hold of a s/h copy of that.

Peppermill wrote:

Thought I'd drop by for a draft and to leave a link that may be of interest to some of the Shakepeare buffs here:

Two items here: One on a plenary address by Douglas Bruster at the International Shakepeare Conference, the other on Shakespeare and the Power of Performance by Robert Weimann and Bruster.

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Thank you, Peppermill!  Hey, wait, you left before you paid your bill?  Hmm...shall I just open a tab for you?  :smileyhappy:

~ConnieK

Peppermill wrote:

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

Just charge it to her Lehman Brothers account.

ConnieK wrote:

Thank you, Peppermill!  Hey, wait, you left before you paid your bill?  Hmm...shall I just open a tab for you?  :smileyhappy:

~ConnieK

Peppermill wrote:

0 Kudos

What'dya mean! I even left a good tip!  What am I dealing with here?  Portia and Shylock?  :smileyvery-happy:   And last time you made one feel so welcome!   :smileysad:  (There's no blood in a turnip -- or a peppercorn.)  

Pepper

Everyman wrote:

Just charge it to her Lehman Brothers account.

ConnieK wrote:

~ConnieK

Peppermill wrote {ed.}:

Two items here from the University of Texas English Department: One on a plenary address by Douglas Bruster at the International Shakepeare Conference, the other on Shakespeare and the Power of Performance by Robert Weimann and Bruster.

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Peppermill wrote:

What'dya mean! I even left a good tip!  What am I dealing with here?  Portia and Shylock?  :smileyvery-happy:   And last time you made one feel so welcome!   :smileysad:  (There's no blood in a turnip -- or a peppercorn.)  

Pepper

Hmm.  Will have to check the pockets of the wench or bloke who waited on ye'!

Stop by anytime! 

:smileyhappy:

~ConnieK

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

I did leave the coins on the table where Sir John and his friends were sitting.  Take it easy on Sally; her hubby hasn't had an decent acting role for a long time.  Perhaps a word or two from you could open up a possibility and ease things a bit for the two of them???

Pepper

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I think you left American groats by mistake P:smileyvery-happy:.  I know the problem - when I get back from Southern Ireland (Eire), which is a Euro zone, I will probably be mixing my sterling currency up with my Euros as they look very similar.   Here is a write up on the whale-watching holiday I am taking.  I wonder if those who listen to the 'voices' of whales and dolphins have heard them reciting Shakespeare - The Tempest perhaps:smileysurprised::

Full fathom five thy father lies;

Of his bones are coral made;

Those are pearls that were his eyes:

Nothing of him that doth fade

But doth suffer a sea-change

Into something rich and strange.

Sea-nymphs hourly ring his knell:

Ding-dong. Hark! now I hear them,

--ding-dong, bell. 

Peppermill wrote:

I did leave the coins on the table where Sir John and his friends were sitting.  Take it easy on Sally; her hubby hasn't had an decent acting role for a long time.  Perhaps a word or two from you could open up a possibility and ease things a bit for the two of them???

Pepper

Message Edited by Choisya on 09-19-2008 09:11 AM
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Choisya wrote:

Here is a write up on the whale-watching holiday I am taking.  I wonder if those who listen to the 'voices' of whales and dolphins have heard them reciting Shakespeare - The Tempest perhaps:smileysurprised::

--ding-dong, bell. 

Enjoy your whale watch, Choisya!  It's a fabulous activity.  I know I was awestruck by the whales we saw on such a watch.  And Ireland?  Don't get me started........the pining........the longing........by me to return to the Emerald Isle!  :smileyhappy:

Let us know how it goes!

~ConnieK

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Peppermill wrote:

Pepper

Hmm.  I did hear that the actor who was going to play the poet, Cinna in JC, backed out when he heard he'd be murdered.  Said he has a problem with death scenes.  Is Sally's bloke overly sensitive?  Ha.  :smileyhappy:

~ConnieK

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
RTA
Wordsmith
RTA
0 Kudos

Bolognaking wrote (in the Act III thread): Community Theatre.  I make my daily crust by other means. 

I mean what type of playwrights, plays, genres do you tend to produce?  Local playwrights, or established works?  Is there a trend at all?  Do you direct musicals in addition to straight plays? 

The last piece I worked on was Aphra Behn’s The Rover.  That was over two years ago...sigh.  We built a revolving turntable in order to stage all the various scenes.  Full Restoration costuming and sets.  It was a massive production.  We had received a huge contribution from a benefactor in order to produce the piece. 

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: OT (Off-Topic) Chatroom: "The Boar's Head Tavern" :Shamrock for Connie.

[ Edited ]

I'll bring a piece of shamrock back for you to wish on Connie:smileyhappy:.  I am packed and ready to go later today and the weather forecast in Eire is now excellent.   By a strange coincidence there was an excellent BBC2 TV programme on whales last night, featuring a lot of quotes from Moby Dick and some biographical material about Herman Melville, photos from New England etc. I was inspired to go on this trip by the B&N reading of MD we did last year with Prof Bob Fanuzzi.

See you on the 27th.     

ConnieK wrote:

Choisya wrote:

Here is a write up on the whale-watching holiday I am taking.  I wonder if those who listen to the 'voices' of whales and dolphins have heard them reciting Shakespeare - The Tempest perhaps:smileysurprised::

--ding-dong, bell. 

Enjoy your whale watch, Choisya!  It's a fabulous activity.  I know I was awestruck by the whales we saw on such a watch.  And Ireland?  Don't get me started........the pining........the longing........by me to return to the Emerald Isle!  :smileyhappy:

Let us know how it goes!

~ConnieK

Message Edited by Choisya on 09-21-2008 04:38 AM
Frequent Contributor
Bolognaking
0 Kudos

Re: Julius Caesar: Act III : Cinna

Community Theatre.  I make my daily crust by other means.
RTA wrote:

OT: So, Bolo, what type of theater do you direct?

"We're actors - we're the opposite of people" - Tom Stoppard
Frequent Contributor
Bolognaking
0 Kudos

RTA wrote:

Bolognaking wrote (in the Act III thread): Community Theatre.  I make my daily crust by other means. 

I mean what type of playwrights, plays, genres do you tend to produce?  Local playwrights, or established works?  Is there a trend at all?  Do you direct musicals in addition to straight plays? 

The last piece I worked on was Aphra Behn’s The Rover.  That was over two years ago...sigh.  We built a revolving turntable in order to stage all the various scenes.  Full Restoration costuming and sets.  It was a massive production.  We had received a huge contribution from a benefactor in order to produce the piece. 

Sorry, I misunderstood.  Primarily comedies, mostly recent, some local and some from a broader pool.  I leave the musicals to others; it's not my favourite genre.  I would love to do a more serious piece or a classic one, but it would be a hard sell convincing the board that we could actually sell tickets to such a show.  A huge contribution from a benefactor would be welcome!  (What theatre company wouldn't say that?)

Aphra Behn--I'm impressed!  I've never read or seen any of her work, but perhaps I'll look up The Rovers.  The production style doesn't sound like the way I'd approach that kind of piece; I'd be more inclined to go minimalist.

"We're actors - we're the opposite of people" - Tom Stoppard
Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 14 members 672 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: