Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

Shakespeare: The Manga Edition

Look at what CliffsNotes is doing.

"For authenticity, the books remain true to the setting and the time of Shakespeare's original work."

"Truth must of necessity be stranger than fiction, for fiction is the creation of the human mind, and therefore is congenial to it." ~~G.K. Chesterton
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

Re: Shakespeare: The Manga Edition

BOO HISS.

BAD, BAD, VERY BAD.

NAUGHTY, NAUGHTY.

BAD BABY TO DO THIS.

0 Kudos

Laurel wrote:

Look at what CliffsNotes is doing.

"For authenticity, the books remain true to the setting and the time of Shakespeare's original work."

ick that art is horrible. Bad art, bad idea. 

Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

Thanks, Emann. Maybe I can get down to see it. I like productions that show the universality of Shakespeare's themes and characters.

Everyman wrote:

BOO HISS.

BAD, BAD, VERY BAD.

NAUGHTY, NAUGHTY.

BAD BABY TO DO THIS.

"Truth must of necessity be stranger than fiction, for fiction is the creation of the human mind, and therefore is congenial to it." ~~G.K. Chesterton
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

Et tu, Laurel?

Then fall, Eman. 

Laurel wrote:
Thanks, Emann. Maybe I can get down to see it. I like productions that show the universality of Shakespeare's themes and characters.

Everyman wrote:

BOO HISS.

BAD, BAD, VERY BAD.

NAUGHTY, NAUGHTY.

BAD BABY TO DO THIS.

0 Kudos

:smileywink:

Everyman wrote:

Et tu, Laurel?

Then fall, Eman. 

Laurel wrote:

Everyman wrote:

BOO HISS.

BAD, BAD, VERY BAD.

NAUGHTY, NAUGHTY.

BAD BABY TO DO THIS.

Correspondent
friery
0 Kudos

Re: OT (Off-Topic) Chatroom: "The Boar's Head Tavern"

This coming Saturday, April 25, 2009, the San Diego Shakespeare Society will be sponsoring the fourth annual San Diego Student Shakepeare Festival.  Students will perform scenes from the plays, as well as demonstrate related dance and musical performances.  The Festival will be held in Balboa Park.  Here's a link with more information: http://www.sandiegoshakespearesociety.org/festival.htm.

PS: I'll be providing some backstage support.

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

friery wrote:

This coming Saturday, April 25, 2009, the San Diego Shakespeare Society will be sponsoring the fourth annual San Diego Student Shakepeare Festival.  Students will perform scenes from the plays, as well as demonstrate related dance and musical performances.  The Festival will be held in Balboa Park.  Here's a link with more information: http://www.sandiegoshakespearesociety.org/festival.htm.

Ah.  Thanks for letting the group know, friery!  And have fun working backstage at the festival! 

It must lovely in San Diego right now.  44 degrees and gray skies at the moment here in upstate NY. :smileysad:

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Correspondent
friery
0 Kudos

ConnieK wrote:

friery wrote:

Ah.  Thanks for letting the group know, friery!  And have fun working backstage at the festival! 

It must lovely in San Diego right now.  44 degrees and gray skies at the moment here in upstate NY. :smileysad:

Actually, the weather was pretty bad here in San Diego yesterday.  It didn't get much higher than the low 60's, and I saw a cloud or two in the sky.  I even had to wear a sweater when I went out early in the morning.

Correspondent
WerewolfGirl101
0 Kudos

YouTube??

Any one have a YouTube account??
lost banner Pictures, Images and Photos
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Folger Exhibit

Heard about this on Twitter.  A new Shakespeare exhibit with interesting discoveries at the Folger.  Go here to read all about it!
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Inspired Contributor
katknit
0 Kudos

Re: Folger Exhibit

The Folger is a delightful, small museum in a relatively quiet neighborhood. They also have a Shakespearean herb garden. I'd recommend a visit to anyone with an interest in the Bard. It's full of treasures, the best collection in America on the subject.
No two persons ever read the same book. [Edmund Wilson]
Correspondent
friery
0 Kudos

Modern Versions of Shakespeare

The San Diego Shakespeare Festival at the Old Globe is presenting Twelfth Night. Their version will probably horrify the Shakespeare traditionalists among us.  Here's a snippet from the (very favorable) review in the San Diego Union-Tribune:

The director's stylish, madly inspired update of the comedy for the Old Globe Theatre is like Shakespeare squeezed through a tube of Brylcreem. You know Mullins is onto something when Duke Orsino, the Tiger Beat pinup of this production's swingin' little universe, glides onstage in a swanky speedboat, attended by a clutch of cool cats in sharkskin slacks.

I'll be attending in a few weeks.

Inspired Contributor
katknit
0 Kudos

Re: Modern Versions of Shakespeare

A couple of summers ago, my husband and I vacationed in England, and before leaving, attended a performance of The Tempest, by an acting company from Cuba. As it turned out, the entire play was performed in Spanish, which we do not speak, but, to top it off, so to speak, all the actors, male and female, were topless..........
No two persons ever read the same book. [Edmund Wilson]
Correspondent
friery
0 Kudos

Re: Modern Versions of Shakespeare

katknit wrote:
A couple of summers ago, my husband and I vacationed in England, and before leaving, attended a performance of The Tempest, by an acting company from Cuba. As it turned out, the entire play was performed in Spanish, which we do not speak, but, to top it off, so to speak, all the actors, male and female, were topless..........

Muy bueno!

Close to that is the Peter Greenaway film, Prospero's Books.  It's a take-off on The Tempest, and really wonderful.  All the sprites appear in the nude--young and old, male and female, big and little.

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 12 members 720 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: