Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: World's Greatest Writers : Paradise Lost

[ Edited ]

This is part of the Paradise Lost discussion Connie but I can't find the beginning.  As we long ago finished discussing it I don't think it will be useful for Greg to post to the archive but I thought he might like to read some of the entries.  Posting to The Silver Samovar thread in the Epics club would alert Laurel and she may have some interesting further observations on PL.

ConnieK wrote:

Choisya wrote:

Also, it isn't a current discussion on the Epics site - we did it earlier in the year.  It is now archived.  I thought Greg might like to read what was posted but there will not be any feedback.  Laurel, our Reader-Moderator and a D.Litt, was particularly helpful during this discussion and her comments and research might be useful too.  Perhaps you could give Greg a link to the archived site Connie? 

ConnieK wrote:

GregBauder wrote:

I just tried to post on the Epic Site about Milton's Paradise Lost.

Greg--Members of the clubs don't always read posts at other clubs, so you'd be better off trying to post there again than putting your response to an Epics post over here.  Let me know if you're unsuccessful, though, and I'll see if I can move your post over there for you.  I'd move it now, but I'm not sure in which thread you'd want it to appear.

Message Edited by ConnieK on 11-19-2008 09:06 PM

But he's responding to a post he read over there, Choisya.  Can he or you point me to the thread/post where the post he made here should go?

Message Edited by Choisya on 11-21-2008 05:03 PM
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Re: World's Greatest Writers : Paradise Lost

[ Edited ]

Choisya wrote:

This is part of the Paradise Lost discussion Connie but I can't find the beginning.  As we long ago finished discussing it I don't think it will be useful for Greg to post to the archive but I thought he might like to read some of the entries.  Posting to The Silver Samovar thread in the Epics club would alert Laurel and she may have some interesting further observations on PL.

Thanks, Choisya!  I guess I'm going to let Greg get back to me on this, if he wants me to move anything over there.  I appreciate these locations, though, if he does.  Greg, what say you?

Message Edited by ConnieK on 11-23-2008 08:39 PM
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Boar's Head Tavern: Eatery

What shall we have for our fall feast here at the Boar's Head?  :smileyvery-happy:

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: Boar's Head Tavern: Eatery

Here is something medieval you can make with your thanksgiving turkey leftovers:smileyhappy:.

ConnieK wrote:

What shall we have for our fall feast here at the Boar's Head?  :smileyvery-happy:

Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

Roast pig with an apple in its mouth, of course.

0 Kudos

Choisya wrote:

Here is something medieval you can make with your thanksgiving turkey leftovers:smileyhappy:.

ConnieK wrote:

Ew!  Looks kind of gross, Choisya!  Ha.  I suppose a lot of medieval recipes would look less than appetizing to us!
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

Alas, poor Tchaikovsky!

What next?

Is this the skull?

Next up for Tennant is Love's Labour's Lost.

"Truth must of necessity be stranger than fiction, for fiction is the creation of the human mind, and therefore is congenial to it." ~~G.K. Chesterton
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Re: Alas, poor Tchaikovsky!

Wow!  Who knew?  I can't believe they'd use the real skull on stage time after time, though.  What if they dropped it?

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

Shakespeare's New Play

This should unmake someone's day:

All the World's a Grave

"Truth must of necessity be stranger than fiction, for fiction is the creation of the human mind, and therefore is congenial to it." ~~G.K. Chesterton
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Re: Shakespeare's New Play

Laurel wrote:

All the World's a Grave

:smileywink:
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

Re: Shakespeare's New Play

Some people will do anything for their fifteen minutes of fame.

Better he should have tried to break the record for eating the most frogs legs in fifteen minutes.  

Laurel wrote:

All the World's a Grave

0 Kudos

Re: January, 2009 in Shakespeare

Everyman wrote:

Given that Laurel and I are suffering through a historic deep freeze, a very apt choice.

Ah.  Good.  Plan for some long nights curled up by the fire (or perhaps candles and a good blanket, if you're fireplace-challenged) and enjoy!

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

I'll say one thing: it's beautiful. I'm certainly glad I don't have to be out in it, though.

ConnieK wrote:

Everyman wrote:

Given that Laurel and I are suffering through a historic deep freeze, a very apt choice.

Ah.  Good.  Plan for some long nights curled up by the fire (or perhaps candles and a good blanket, if you're fireplace-challenged) and enjoy!

Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

Plan for some long nights curled up by the fire (or perhaps candles and a good blanket, if you're fireplace-challenged) and enjoy!

We are decidedly not fireplace-challenged -- it's in full operation as I type.  I can see it through my library door, I have just left my fireside chair for a few moments of Book Clubbing, and then I'll be back in the warmth and glow, cat in lap.

ConnieK wrote:

Everyman wrote:

0 Kudos

Everyman wrote:

We are decidedly not fireplace-challenged -- it's in full operation as I type.  I can see it through my library door, I have just left my fireside chair for a few moments of Book Clubbing, and then I'll be back in the warmth and glow, cat in lap.

Lovely image!  We're expecting a foot of snow tomorrow here in upstate NY.  Great for book clubbing, as you call it--ha!  :smileywink:

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

We've only gotten a few inches of snow, but that cold Canadian wind has blown about a foot and a half against my front door. I'm hoping my UPS guy can stomp his way through.

ConnieK wrote: 

Lovely image!  We're expecting a foot of snow tomorrow here in upstate NY.  Great for book clubbing, as you call it--ha!  :smileywink:

Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

ConnieK wrote:

Everyman wrote:

Same here in MA - expecting up to a foot tomorrow.  I hope it holds off until I can get to the Post Office to send out a Christmas package to Florida.  Last night I had to chip a thick solid coating of ice off of my car when I left work - not fun!  Part of my scraper broke off, flying ice went into my eye, and I couldn't even make any headway until the heat that was blasting full force inside the car started softening it up.  Took about a half hour, just to clear the windows.  A lot of people I work with have not had power for more than a week, and some don't expect to get it back until after Christmas.  At least I was lucky there.

Oh, winter is such fun, fun, fun!!! :smileymad:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Correspondent
friery
0 Kudos

Re: World's Greatest Writers

StevePerk1 wrote:

Shakespeare was arguably the greatest writer in the English language.  (I say "arguably" only to be polite.  We all know it's not arguable...   :smileywink:)  Who would you say are the pinnacles of other languages?  Here are some of my suggestions, which, in this case, are extremely arguable!

French:  Victor Hugo

Russian:  Leo Tolstoy (I expect lots of critques on that one!)

Spanish:  Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra 

German:  Johann Wolfgang Göthe

What are your picks?  (And, yes, if you do want to argue with my Shakespeare assertion, I'd love to hear your alternative.)

--Steve

Modern-day English: James Joyce.
Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

Re: World's Greatest Writers

Italian: Dante

Polish: Henryk Sienkiewicz

friery wrote:

StevePerk1 wrote:

Shakespeare was arguably the greatest writer in the English language.  (I say "arguably" only to be polite.  We all know it's not arguable...   :smileywink:)  Who would you say are the pinnacles of other languages?  Here are some of my suggestions, which, in this case, are extremely arguable!

French:  Victor Hugo

Russian:  Leo Tolstoy (I expect lots of critques on that one!)

Spanish:  Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra 

German:  Johann Wolfgang Göthe

What are your picks?  (And, yes, if you do want to argue with my Shakespeare assertion, I'd love to hear your alternative.)

--Steve

Modern-day English: James Joyce.

Contributor
Marsboy
0 Kudos

Re: Alas, poor Tchaikovsky!

Not gonna lie that is really cool :smileywink:. Can't say that I would enjoy acting with a real skull though. I would look at it and probably run screaming the first couple of tries.
Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 12 members 629 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: