Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
Gemma620
0 Kudos

Re: Romeo and Juliet

ConnieK wrote:

emilyMD wrote:
The more you read, the smarter you'll get!

Welcome, emilyMD!  I tend to agree with you, though I do wonder if it's possible to be a big reader and still be un-smart?

You can read a lot of classic novels and big books and still be un-smart. It all depends on if you understand what you are reading, or if you are just skimming over the lines. 

Gemma
To those who will see, the world waits.

Today is the first and last day of forever.

Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of the unlived life.
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Gemma620 wrote:
You can read a lot of classic novels and big books and still be un-smart. It all depends on if you understand what you are reading, or if you are just skimming over the lines. 
Gemma

Welcome, Gemma!  I think you're right, though I'd like to think that something would seep in from reading, even if not a full understanding.  It seems like it's still better to try and get a little bit out of books rather than give up reading and lose out entirely.

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
New User
withflyingcolors
0 Kudos

i agree that around age 15 is the right age to read Romeo and Juliet. It is required for school this year in 9th grade, and any age younger I and most of my classmates most likely wouldn't understand the entire concept of it. Of course this is discluding the people who are more avid readers.
Inspired Contributor
Unique33
0 Kudos

yeah when i was in 9th grade we read this play, a lot of us didn't totally understand it and i don't think everybody liked it either, this is the first shakespeare play i read so far and i didn't really like it i mean come on two strangers kissed at a ball before they even knew each other and then they fell in love then finally found out each others name then got married then had this plan so juliet would't have to marry paris by having her drink a poison/potion making her sleep for a day and two hours or so anyway romeo finds her looking as if shes dead so he kills himself then juliet wakes up sees romeo kills herself and all this happens in like two days i think WOW.
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Unique33 wrote:
yeah when i was in 9th grade we read this play, a lot of us didn't totally understand it and i don't think everybody liked it either, this is the first shakespeare play i read so far and i didn't really like it i mean come on two strangers kissed at a ball before they even knew each other and then they fell in love then finally found out each others name then got married then had this plan so juliet would't have to marry paris by having her drink a poison/potion making her sleep for a day and two hours or so anyway romeo finds her looking as if shes dead so he kills himself then juliet wakes up sees romeo kills herself and all this happens in like two days i think WOW.

Unique--Did you ever see it performed, on stage or in film?
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Inspired Contributor
Unique33
0 Kudos

umm no sadly i haven't see it performed i think that would be really cool to see but i have seen the movie the one with clare danes
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Unique33 wrote:
umm no sadly i haven't see it performed i think that would be really cool to see but i have seen the movie the one with clare danes

Did you like it better after seeing it?
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Inspired Contributor
Unique33
0 Kudos

it was okay, my friend watched it too and she told me it was a crappy version and that i should watch an older version
Frequent Contributor
AbsolutePirateVampyre
0 Kudos

Most kids read it in High School
Awesometastic ^ =.= ^
Inspired Contributor
Unique33
0 Kudos

yup, they do but i hope i can read more shakespeare plays in class
Top Kudoed Authors