Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

SHAKESPEARE'S PLAYS WE HAVE SEEN (Maybe Spoilers here)

I thought it might be interesting to list some of the theatrical productions we have seen between us in recent years and which we liked the most (including any seen or participated in at school and/or college):

I saw an open air production of Macbeth in Regent's Park several years ago but somehow an open air venue didn't seem 'dark' enough or perhaps I was too used to seeing Midsummer Night's Dream there. The production was quite faithful to an Elizabethan one in that it had few props but the players were in modern battledress and there was an IRA inference. Lady Macbeth was very 'tarty'. This was a performance without an interval after the killing of McDuffs wife and children and I found it maintained the momentum of the play better. The final Act took place at dusk which gave Macbeth's death scene a very eerie and sinister feeling. As I walked through the park to the tube afterwards I felt quite scared!

I last saw Macbeth on stage at the Royal Court Theatre in London in the 90s with Derek Jacobi playing Macbeth. It is a small theatre and the totally black set meant that all the scenes with blood showed up very well and Lady Macbeth's entrance in a long bright red dress was startling. The men wore a medieval type armour which shone against the blackness. Derek Jacobi's death took place on stage (which Elizabethan audiences would not have liked) and was staged like a suicide - with the final self inflicted blow as he said 'Hold enough!' It was a very powerful ending but the head was not displayed by Macduff onstage, which paid homage to Elizabethan sensibilities if not to our more violence inured audiences.
Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

Re: SHAKESPEARE'S PLAYS WE HAVE SEEN (Maybe Spoilers here)

Choisya wrote:
"I last saw Macbeth on stage at the Royal Court Theatre in London in the 90s with Derek Jacobi playing Macbeth. It is a small theatre and the totally black set meant that all the scenes with blood showed up very well and Lady Macbeth's entrance in a long bright red dress was startling. The men wore a medieval type armour which shone against the blackness. Derek Jacobi's death took place on stage (which Elizabethan audiences would not have liked) and was staged like a suicide - with the final self inflicted blow as he said 'Hold enough!' It was a very powerful ending but the head was not displayed by Macduff onstage, which paid homage to Elizabethan sensibilities if not to our more violence inured audiences."

I would love to have seen that! I haven't seen many "real" productions of Shakespeare. I did see one of the comedies at Stratford, but I don't even remember now which it was.

In August I plan to go to the Oregon Shakespeare Festival in Ashland, which is close to the California border. I blew all my entertainment money on tickets for

The Tempest

The Taming of the Shrew

As you Like It

and

Romeo and Juliet

as well as

Tartuffe

On the Razzle

and

Gem of the Ocean.

On the way home I plan to stop in Seattle long enough to see The Flying Dutchman. Then I plan to collapse for three months or so.
"Truth must of necessity be stranger than fiction, for fiction is the creation of the human mind, and therefore is congenial to it." ~~G.K. Chesterton
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

What a great selection Laurel - well worth the collapse.:smileyhappy:

I would love to have seen that! I haven't seen many "real" productions of Shakespeare. I did see one of the comedies at Stratford, but I don't even remember now which it was.

In August I plan to go to the Oregon Shakespeare Festival in Ashland, which is close to the California border. I blew all my entertainment money on tickets for

The Tempest

The Taming of the Shrew

As you Like It

and

Romeo and Juliet

as well as

Tartuffe

On the Razzle

and

Gem of the Ocean.

On the way home I plan to stop in Seattle long enough to see The Flying Dutchman. Then I plan to collapse for three months or so.

Frequent Contributor
cheryl_shell
0 Kudos

Laurel wrote:
Choisya wrote:
"I last saw Macbeth on stage at the Royal Court Theatre in London in the 90s with Derek Jacobi playing Macbeth. It is a small theatre and the totally black set meant that all the scenes with blood showed up very well and Lady Macbeth's entrance in a long bright red dress was startling. The men wore a medieval type armour which shone against the blackness. Derek Jacobi's death took place on stage (which Elizabethan audiences would not have liked) and was staged like a suicide - with the final self inflicted blow as he said 'Hold enough!' It was a very powerful ending but the head was not displayed by Macduff onstage, which paid homage to Elizabethan sensibilities if not to our more violence inured audiences."

The Tempest

The Taming of the Shrew

As you Like It

and

Romeo and Juliet

as well as

Tartuffe

On the Razzle

and

Gem of the Ocean.

Oh, Laurel, do let us know how you liked those productions at Ashland when you come back!
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

Laurel wrote:
In August I plan to go to the Oregon Shakespeare Festival in Ashland, which is close to the California border.

My mother in law used to go to Ashland every year with a group of friends until she couldn't handle the travel any longer. I keep thinking I should go sometime, but I have trouble traveling, so I never seem to get around to it.
Currently online: 46 members 698 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: