Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Shakespeare Happenings: Festivals, Local/Regional Productions, Events, etc.

[ Edited ]

Maybe we can all use this thread to post plays, performances, festivals, etc. that we know about.  These can be regional or whatever.  Please add to the thread as/when you hear of "Shakespeare Happenings" so that other fans of the bard may know about them!

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Re: Shakespeare Happenings

Jude Law appears as Hamlet on Broadway.  I write about it here.

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

Connie -- don't know if I'll make it, but thanks for the heads up on this performance!

PS -- have they given you any clue as why they have changed the default to open links in the same window? 

Personally, I find it very annoying and wish they would change it -- but if there is a good reason, I'll listen and consider.

Pepper

ConnieK wrote:

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

PS -- have they given you any clue as why they have changed the default to open links in the same window? 

Personally, I find it very annoying and wish they would change it -- but if there is a good reason, I'll listen and consider.

Don't be "hysterical" Pepper!  There is nothing whatsoever to complain about, all is fine and dandy on at least one computer here (NOT MINE!).

Peppermill wrote:

Connie -- don't know if I'll make it, but thanks for the heads up on this performance!

Pepper

ConnieK wrote:

Correspondent
friery
0 Kudos

Shakespeare Sonnets in San Diego

Here's an upcoming Shakespeare event in San Diego.  It sounds like a tonne of funne.

On Monday, October 12th, at 7:30PM, a bevy of local celebrities will present an evening of the Bard’s best-loved sonnets on the main stage of The Old Globe Theatre. “Celebrity Sonnets Night” has become a popular and much-anticipated event on the San Diego arts calendar; the 2009 show is hosted by Jenni Prisk. Queen Elizabeth I and Mary Queen of Scots will be on hand to greet audience members, and music will be provided by the Vox Nobili Madrigals. 

“We’ve got something for everyone,” says San Diego Shakespeare Society President Alex Sandie, “sonnets in their original form and sonnets served up with a twist. We've had sonnets performed by blues singers, Argentine tango dancers, and by pianist Gustavo Romero, who combined Shakespeare with Bach. A variety of San Diego celebrities have participated, including Craig Noel, Jonathan McMurtry, Des McAnuff, Ian Campbell, and Darko Tresnjak. This year we’re happy to have Louise Hay, renowned motivational speaker and best-selling author of  Heal Your Body, Demarre McGill, principal flautist with the San Diego Symphony, Leigh Scarritt Productions (a performing arts youth group), and Dr. William A. Nericcio of SDSU, who will present a sonnet in Spanish.”

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Peppermill wrote:

Pepper

Pepper--I'm sorry, but I have to say I don't know what you mean.  What open links?  What open window? 

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Re: Shakespeare Sonnets in San Diego

friery wrote:

Here's an upcoming Shakespeare event in San Diego.  It sounds like a tonne of funne.

On Monday, October 12th, at 7:30PM, a bevy of local celebrities will present an evening of the Bard’s best-loved sonnets on the main stage of The Old Globe Theatre. “Celebrity Sonnets Night” has become a popular and much-anticipated event on the San Diego arts calendar; the 2009 show is hosted by Jenni Prisk. Queen Elizabeth I and Mary Queen of Scots will be on hand to greet audience members, and music will be provided by the Vox Nobili Madrigals. 

“We’ve got something for everyone,” says San Diego Shakespeare Society President Alex Sandie, “sonnets in their original form and sonnets served up with a twist. We've had sonnets performed by blues singers, Argentine tango dancers, and by pianist Gustavo Romero, who combined Shakespeare with Bach. A variety of San Diego celebrities have participated, including Craig Noel, Jonathan McMurtry, Des McAnuff, Ian Campbell, and Darko Tresnjak. This year we’re happy to have Louise Hay, renowned motivational speaker and best-selling author of  Heal Your Body, Demarre McGill, principal flautist with the San Diego Symphony, Leigh Scarritt Productions (a performing arts youth group), and Dr. William A. Nericcio of SDSU, who will present a sonnet in Spanish.”

Oooh.  This does sound fun, expecially given our recent focus on the sonnets (to which we will return periodically, btw).  Wish I didn't live on the opposite coast sometimes!  Thanks for posting.

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Peppermill
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Peppermill wrote:

Pepper

Pepper--I'm sorry, but I have to say I don't know what you mean.  What open links?  What open window? 

~ConnieK

Let me see if I can demonstrate:

Old default -- The Old Globe in San Diego

Current (new) default -- The Old Globe in San Diego

In the old way, the link opens in a new tab.

In the new way, it opens "on top" of the B&N page.

Problem is -- if one starts to explore from the new page, it can get difficult to get back to the B&N page.  It was no problem when the link opened in a new tab.  Now, one can "program" the option, but one must always remember to override the default.

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Peppermill wrote:

Let me see if I can demonstrate:

Old default -- The Old Globe in San Diego

Current (new) default -- The Old Globe in San Diego

In the old way, the link opens in a new tab.

In the new way, it opens "on top" of the B&N page.

Problem is -- if one starts to explore from the new page, it can get difficult to get back to the B&N page.  It was no problem when the link opened in a new tab.  Now, one can "program" the option, but one must always remember to override the default.

Thanks.  Let me see what happens when I link somewhere.  I haven't done anything with any defaults or overrides of defaults.  I'll link to my Literature Examiner page.

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Ok.  I see.  It didn't open a new window.  I assume from your previous posts that you've mentioned this to the admins. before now, Pepper?

It would certainly be in BN.com's best interest to have the links open a new window.  I'll mention it at my end.

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Peppermill
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

ConnieK wrote:

Ok.  I see.  It didn't open a new window.  I assume from your previous posts that you've mentioned this to the admins. before now, Pepper?

It would certainly be in BN.com's best interest to have the links open a new window.  I'll mention it at my end.

Thanks for comprehending, Connie!

I have mentioned it on the Community Board at least a couple of different times.  I didn't demonstrate like I did for you and I am not certain if the significance is understood yet -- it was really someone else who mentioned the difficulty of getting back to the B&N page, and so the value to B&N.  I had posted simply from the viewpoint of a reader and poster preference  -- it was a nuisance to me because I include a lot of links in my posts and I wanted them still to open in a new tab for people -- unless there is something I am totally overlooking.  Then, when people didn't seem to notice the change in the default and links were opening in the same window, I mostly just found it irritating 'cause I couldn't flip back and forth with B&N the way I used to frequently do.  It wasn't until later that I got caught in the situation someone else had described by that time and actually had difficulty getting back to the B&N page.

(The first time I posted on the Community Board, the reaction sorta was, what are you talking about.  Later, I realized others understood.  Admin themselves have never responded on the topic as far as I have seen.)

Pepper

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Peppermill wrote:

ConnieK wrote:

I have mentioned it on the Community Board at least a couple of different times.  I didn't demonstrate like I did for you and I am not certain if the significance is understood yet -- it was really someone else who mentioned the difficulty of getting back to the B&N page, and so the value to B&N.  I had posted simply from the viewpoint of a reader and poster preference  -- it was a nuisance to me because I include a lot of links in my posts and I wanted them still to open in a new tab for people -- unless there is something I am totally overlooking.  Then, when people didn't seem to notice the change in the default and links were opening in the same window, I mostly just found it irritating 'cause I couldn't flip back and forth with B&N the way I used to frequently do.  It wasn't until later that I got caught in the situation someone else had described by that time and actually had difficulty getting back to the B&N page.

(The first time I posted on the Community Board, the reaction sorta was, what are you talking about.  Later, I realized others understood.  Admin themselves have never responded on the topic as far as I have seen.)

Pepper

You're welcome, Pepper. 

I mentioned the concern to an admin. but he hasn't gotten back on it yet.  I had trouble logging in to the Book Clubs altogether today, so I think there must be lots of bugs still tripping up the wires out in the back room......

In the meantime, it's really not a problem for me when I put in my links in the future to cue the drop-down feature that will make it open a new window.  Thanks for pointing this out--I'll try to do that for my links in the future (if I can change my habits!).

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Correspondent
friery
0 Kudos

Re: Shakespeare Happenings: Festivals, Local/Regional Productions, Events, etc.

San Diego Old Globe Theater Shakespeare Festival 2010. 

Get your plane tickets soon.  The Old Globe's Shakespeare Festival next summer will feature King Lear, Taming of the Shrew, and a non-Shakespeare play, The Madness of George III.

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

friery wrote:

Get your plane tickets soon.  The Old Globe's Shakespeare Festival next summer will feature King Lear, Taming of the Shrew, and a non-Shakespeare play, The Madness of George III.

Super!  Can you give members a link for their website for more information?  I hope someone might report back on LEAR and SHREW, especially since we've featured those here.

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Correspondent
friery
0 Kudos

ConnieK wrote:

friery wrote:

Super!  Can you give members a link for their website for more information?  I hope someone might report back on LEAR and SHREW, especially since we've featured those here.

Here's a link to the press release issued by the Old Globe a couple of days ago about summer season 2010: http://www.theoldglobe.com/information/press/2009/release_2010_Summer_Season.aspx.

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

friery wrote:

Here's a link to the press release issued by the Old Globe a couple of days ago about summer season 2010: http://www.theoldglobe.com/information/press/2009/release_2010_Summer_Season.aspx.

Thanks, friery!

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Peppermill
0 Kudos

Notice:  The problem with the default on embedded links has been fixed, I am happy to report.  The default has returned to opening in a new window!

ConnieK wrote:

Peppermill wrote: 

ConnieK wrote:

Pepper

You're welcome, Pepper. 

I mentioned the concern to an admin. but he hasn't gotten back on it yet.  I had trouble logging in to the Book Clubs altogether today, so I think there must be lots of bugs still tripping up the wires out in the back room......

In the meantime, it's really not a problem for me when I put in my links in the future to cue the drop-down feature that will make it open a new window.  Thanks for pointing this out--I'll try to do that for my links in the future (if I can change my habits!).

Inspired Wordsmith
harleyhoney
0 Kudos

A wonderful festival in southern Oregon.

http://www.osfashland.org/

The performance year runs from February to October with three venues.  Four Shakespeare plays:  Hamlet, Henry IV, Part 1, Twelth Night and this month's read, The Merchant of Venice.  Also, seven other plays including Cat on a Hot Tin Roof.

Nancy

"Somebody said they saw me swinging the world by the tail, bouncing over a white cloud, killing the blues."
Killing the Blues by Rowland Salley
Performed by Robert Plant and Alison Kraus on RAISING SAND
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Peppermill wrote:

Notice:  The problem with the default on embedded links has been fixed, I am happy to report.  The default has returned to opening in a new window!

Saints be praised, Pepper!  Ha.  Thanks for letting us all know if we hadn't discovered it yet!

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

harleyhoney wrote:

A wonderful festival in southern Oregon.

http://www.osfashland.org/

The performance year runs from February to October with three venues.  Four Shakespeare plays:  Hamlet, Henry IV, Part 1, Twelth Night and this month's read, The Merchant of Venice.  Also, seven other plays including Cat on a Hot Tin Roof.

Nancy

Excellent!  Love getting these posted on the board for those interested who might be in the area.

Thank you, harleyhoney!

Keep them coming, people!  :smileywink:

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 43 members 912 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: