Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. On May 1, we’re saying goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
Frequent Contributor
Posts: 3,107
Registered: ‎10-27-2006
0 Kudos

Suggestions for further readings

[ Edited ]
First two plays(= months) for our BN discussion are decided.
Perhaps we can use this thread for all our posts connected to that topic.

As a second comedy I vote for Twelfht Night.
And a second tragedy Romeo and Juliet.

ziki

Message Edited by ziki on 01-27-200709:04 PM

Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
Posts: 9,216
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Suggestions for further readings

Once we have our feet wet with S, I think we should see what we can do with some of the lesser known plays. Plays like Cymbeline, Timon of Athens, Winter's Tale.

Also, Cheryl did courses at BNU on tragedies and comedies, but never on histories. We shouldn't overlook the history plays. Probably do the Henry IV and Henry VI groups together, maybe allowing six weeks or two months for each set.
_______________
I think, therefore I drive people nuts.
Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
Posts: 2,456
Registered: ‎10-30-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Suggestions for further readings

I think we should stick to the one month per play schedule, though, I don't see any problem with doing a series in a row. Don't forget that there are some of us reading the plays for the first time. I know I need time to read them and maybe reading some commentaries about them. I'm in this for the long haul. I figure it will take three years to get through the whole thing and that is fine with me.
Frequent Contributor
Posts: 3,107
Registered: ‎10-27-2006
0 Kudos

one play a month, nadine



Nadine wrote:
I think we should stick to the one month per play schedule, though.




Oh, that I took for granted, 'twas decided.

ziki
Frequent Contributor
Posts: 3,107
Registered: ‎10-27-2006
0 Kudos
New User
Swanwalk
Posts: 2
Registered: ‎01-28-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Suggestions for further readings

Hi,
I'm glad to be in this group. I just found it today. Winter's Tale is my very favorite Shakespeare play, and I second the motion to talk about it soon.
Best regards
Scribe
Laurel
Posts: 5,747
Registered: ‎10-29-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Suggestions for further readings



Swanwalk wrote:
Hi,
I'm glad to be in this group. I just found it today. Winter's Tale is my very favorite Shakespeare play, and I second the motion to talk about it soon.
Best regards




I really like Winter's Tale, too, Swanwalk.
"Truth must of necessity be stranger than fiction, for fiction is the creation of the human mind, and therefore is congenial to it." ~~G.K. Chesterton
Contributor
LibbyLane
Posts: 14
Registered: ‎01-27-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Suggestions for further readings

I'm wholly in favor of Twelfth Night!
Contributor
emma_lee_
Posts: 10
Registered: ‎01-30-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Suggestions for further readings

I'm in favor of Twelfth Night because it is my favorite. But I took 2 Shakespeare courses in college, so I think we should do some histories as well because they are less read. Any of the King Henrys or Richard III would be good. Maybe we could go Comedy, Tragedy, then History??
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
Posts: 9,216
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Suggestions for further readings

I agree. There's some great stuff in the histories.


emma_lee_ wrote:
I'm in favor of Twelfth Night because it is my favorite. But I took 2 Shakespeare courses in college, so I think we should do some histories as well because they are less read. Any of the King Henrys or Richard III would be good. Maybe we could go Comedy, Tragedy, then History??


_______________
I think, therefore I drive people nuts.
Frequent Contributor
LizzieAnn
Posts: 2,344
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Suggestions for further readings

Sounds good. I've never read any of the histories before, and this would give me the incentive to do so. We could do them in order, starting with King John.



Everyman wrote:
I agree. There's some great stuff in the histories.


emma_lee_ wrote:
I'm in favor of Twelfth Night because it is my favorite. But I took 2 Shakespeare courses in college, so I think we should do some histories as well because they are less read. Any of the King Henrys or Richard III would be good. Maybe we could go Comedy, Tragedy, then History??





Liz ♥ ♥


Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested. ~ Francis Bacon
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
Posts: 9,216
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Suggestions for further readings


LizzieAnn wrote:
Sounds good. I've never read any of the histories before, and this would give me the incentive to do so. We could do them in order, starting with King John.


Makes me wonder whether this was the same King John of the A.A. Milne verse that starts

King John was not a good king;
He had his little ways.
And sometimes no-one spoke to him
For days and days and days.
_______________
I think, therefore I drive people nuts.
Frequent Contributor
LizzieAnn
Posts: 2,344
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Suggestions for further readings

Never heard that before - it's cute! :smileyhappy: From the sounds of all I've ever read about King John, I'm sure it is!



Everyman wrote:

LizzieAnn wrote:
Sounds good. I've never read any of the histories before, and this would give me the incentive to do so. We could do them in order, starting with King John.


Makes me wonder whether this was the same King John of the A.A. Milne verse that starts

King John was not a good king;
He had his little ways.
And sometimes no-one spoke to him
For days and days and days.


Liz ♥ ♥


Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested. ~ Francis Bacon
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
Posts: 10,782
Registered: ‎10-26-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Suggestions for further readings

Britain has only had one King John, Lizzie - of Magna Carta fame, brother of King Richard I (the Lionheart). He was forced to sign the Magna Carta by his rebelling barons and whilst fleeing dropped the Crown Jewels in the Wash (North Sea):smileysurprised: He was also excommunicated and lost British possessions in France. So altogether he wasn't a 'very good king':smileyhappy:

http://historymedren.about.com/library/who/blwwjohnlackland.htm




LizzieAnn wrote:
Never heard that before - it's cute! :smileyhappy: From the sounds of all I've ever read about King John, I'm sure it is!



Everyman wrote:

LizzieAnn wrote:
Sounds good. I've never read any of the histories before, and this would give me the incentive to do so. We could do them in order, starting with King John.


Makes me wonder whether this was the same King John of the A.A. Milne verse that starts

King John was not a good king;
He had his little ways.
And sometimes no-one spoke to him
For days and days and days.





Frequent Contributor
LizzieAnn
Posts: 2,344
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Suggestions for further readings

I remember that from European history...and also from countless adaptations of Robin Hood. :smileyvery-happy: Of course, the Magna Carter is the first thing that comes to mind when you hear "King John." I get the picture of this man surrounded by large angry & determined barons handing him parchment & quill - an definitive moment for sure.



Choisya wrote:
Britain has only had one King John, Lizzie - of Magna Carta fame, brother of King Richard I (the Lionheart). He was forced to sign the Magna Carta by his rebelling barons and whilst fleeing dropped the Crown Jewels in the Wash (North Sea):smileysurprised: He was also excommunicated and lost British possessions in France. So altogether he wasn't a 'very good king':smileyhappy:

http://historymedren.about.com/library/who/blwwjohnlackland.htm



Liz ♥ ♥


Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested. ~ Francis Bacon
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
Posts: 9,216
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Suggestions for further readings



LizzieAnn wrote:
I remember that from European history. I get the picture of this man surrounded by large angry & determined barons handing him parchment & quill - an definitive moment for sure.


Revisionist historians are now trying to paint a quite different picture of King John. But this isn't the place to discuss that. Maybe when we get to reading King John!
_______________
I think, therefore I drive people nuts.
Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online:61 members 529 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: