Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

The Taming of the Shrew: Overall Impressions

What are your overall impressions of this Shakespearean comedy?

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: The Taming of the Shrew: Overall Impressions

I think it is extremely interesting play because it is many-layered and can be interpreted in a number of different ways.  Certainly not always from the mysogynist/wife beating p.o.v. as is so often done.

I would have liked to have seen this production where Kate is played as a female MP. Petruchio as a comedian and Bianca as a model! 

This all-male production did not get such good reviews but it is an intersting idea and I would like to see a production where the roles of Kate and Petruchio are reversed. 

The RSC have played it in various ways and this review is of a production was a psychological interpretation with Kate as a sort of psycho-therapist taming her mad husband.  The 'cheeky sequel' to The Taming of the Shrew, written by Fletcher only 20 years after Shakespeare's play sounds hilarious and it might have been nice to have read it as a sequel here. 

ConnieK wrote:

What are your overall impressions of this Shakespearean comedy?

Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

I would like to see a production where the roles of Kate and Petruchio are reversed.

Yes, I bet you would!   :smileyhappy:

0 Kudos

Opinion on Taming of the Shrew

Well I'm 15 years old and I've just recently read The Taming of the Shrew. Petruchio made me laugh a lot, but I was a little angry with Katherine. She was so easily tamed and that made me quite angry at Shakespeare for writing her that way. I don't know maybe it was due to the time period that he lived in, but he could of made her put up more of a fight.

Do you think I'm wrong to think this?

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Re: Opinion on Taming of the Shrew

Jasmine7 wrote:

Well I'm 15 years old and I've just recently read The Taming of the Shrew. Petruchio made me laugh a lot, but I was a little angry with Katherine. She was so easily tamed and that made me quite angry at Shakespeare for writing her that way. I don't know maybe it was due to the time period that he lived in, but he could of made her put up more of a fight.

Do you think I'm wrong to think this?

Hi, Jasmine, and welcome!  We talked about this question on the threads about this play last fall.  Take a look at what others have said on the topic and see what you think!
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Contributor
juliecFL
0 Kudos

Re: Opinion on Taming of the Shrew

Hi, Jasmine7.

You might want to watch the movie "Ten Things I Hate About You," based on "Taming" but set in current-day U.S., and compare the two.

PS -- I went to OSF a few years ago and liked it a lot.

Frequent Contributor
Benedict3
0 Kudos

As all of his plays we learn something new, the first time we read it and then each subsoquent time.

There are of course differences between men and women, and the fact that Shakespeare chose to have Kate, a woman, be brain washed instead of a man is a question to consider.  I think that he chose a woman to be brain washed because it is more difficult to brain wash a woman than a man.  He did not pick the easier of the two, he picked the more challenging of the two.

Shakespeare described how someone can be brainwashed before the term 'brain washed' was invented.  He chose a woman to be brainwashed because it is more challenging, and requires more attention.

We saw from the beginning of the play when the drunk was brain washed easily.  The difference in difficulty makes me angry as a male!  What was Shakespeare saying, that a man can be brain washed by simply telling him that he is rich, but a woman needs to be placed into a world of multiple characters?

This is not a play for a woman to be offended, but a man to be offended at the implied relative ease that we are brain washed with respect to women.

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Benedict3 wrote:

As all of his plays we learn something new, the first time we read it and then each subsoquent time.

There are of course differences between men and women, and the fact that Shakespeare chose to have Kate, a woman, be brain washed instead of a man is a question to consider.  I think that he chose a woman to be brain washed because it is more difficult to brain wash a woman than a man.  He did not pick the easier of the two, he picked the more challenging of the two.

Shakespeare described how someone can be brainwashed before the term 'brain washed' was invented.  He chose a woman to be brainwashed because it is more challenging, and requires more attention.

We saw from the beginning of the play when the drunk was brain washed easily.  The difference in difficulty makes me angry as a male!  What was Shakespeare saying, that a man can be brain washed by simply telling him that he is rich, but a woman needs to be placed into a world of multiple characters?

This is not a play for a woman to be offended, but a man to be offended at the implied relative ease that we are brain washed with respect to women.

What an interesting take on this!  I'm not sure I would have thought of it.  I'm intrigued.  Benedict, why do you think women are less easily brainwashed than men?
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
New User
Strenia
0 Kudos

Yes, Benedict, why do you think women are less easily brainwashed than men?

Also, this is quite interesting.  If Shakespeare did indeed mean to set up this kind of parallel between Christopher Sly's situation and that of Kate's: is it the difference between a man and a woman, or the difference between brainwashing by comfort versus brainwashing by torture (it's been a while since I've read that prologue; if I remember rightly, Christopher Sly is pampered and petted in the lap of luxury...)?

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Strenia wrote:

Also, this is quite interesting.  If Shakespeare did indeed mean to set up this kind of parallel between Christopher Sly's situation and that of Kate's: is it the difference between a man and a woman, or the difference between brainwashing by comfort versus brainwashing by torture (it's been a while since I've read that prologue; if I remember rightly, Christopher Sly is pampered and petted in the lap of luxury...)?

Welcome, Strenia!  I hope Benedict will see these questions soon and respond.
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Frequent Contributor
Benedict3
0 Kudos

ConnieK wrote:

Strenia wrote:

Welcome, Strenia!  I hope Benedict will see these questions soon and respond.

I started to write a long explanation, but at the heart of this argument is that women take many parallel variables into account when making decisions, and men take into account those variables that are arranged in one linear fashion, and this linear line of reasoning corresponds to his concept of what is the most important excluding many other things.

This does not mean that one is smarter than the other.  Both can understand math, both can learn new languages, but one goes through parallel lines of reasoning, and one goes through sequential lines of reasoning as a rule of thumb.  One is geared toward accomplishing tasks, and one is geared toward raising a family.  One can be convinced through one line of reasoning, and the other must be convinced through all of the parallel lines of reasoning.

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Benedict3 wrote:

I started to write a long explanation, but at the heart of this argument is that women take many parallel variables into account when making decisions, and men take into account those variables that are arranged in one linear fashion, and this linear line of reasoning corresponds to his concept of what is the most important excluding many other things.

This does not mean that one is smarter than the other.  Both can understand math, both can learn new languages, but one goes through parallel lines of reasoning, and one goes through sequential lines of reasoning as a rule of thumb.  One is geared toward accomplishing tasks, and one is geared toward raising a family.  One can be convinced through one line of reasoning, and the other must be convinced through all of the parallel lines of reasoning.

Does this theory of the difference in reasoning processes come from your own observations, Benedict, or a study you're read, etc.?

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Frequent Contributor
Benedict3
0 Kudos

ConnieK wrote:

Benedict3 wrote:

Does this theory of the difference in reasoning processes come from your own observations, Benedict, or a study you're read, etc.?

This comes from both general observations and sterio types and, from my opinion, Shakespeare.  I am not a doctor, I'm only sharing my opinion, although my note may have sounded as though I think that I know....  Well, thats also an opinion.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

"One is geared toward accomplishing tasks, and one is geared toward raising a family."

Are we to presume raising a family is not a task?

Benedict3 wrote:

ConnieK wrote:

Benedict3 wrote:

This comes from both general observations and sterio types and, from my opinion, Shakespeare.  I am not a doctor, I'm only sharing my opinion, although my note may have sounded as though I think that I know....  Well, thats also an opinion

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Frequent Contributor
Benedict3
0 Kudos

Peppermill wrote:

"One is geared toward accomplishing tasks, and one is geared toward raising a family."

We as humans all have goals and desires.  Once a goal or desire is pinpointed, we must first understand what the current situation is before we can make a plan to alter the situation in such a way as to acquire our goals and desires.  Men seem to take a linear approach, utilizing fewer variables, albeit variables that they deem to be most important.  And women seem to take a more encompassing approach incorporating variables that the man would otherwise ignore.

Both are goal oriented.  The woman seem to keep the ultimate goal of the families well being in mind making decisions moment to moment incorporating many variables.  Men can become easily fixated on particular tasks loosing sight of the ultimate goal, that of the well being of the family.

They work well together.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman

Only by those who either a) have never had one, or b) have had servants to do it for them, as many in the upper class Victorian age did, and Madonna does today.

OTOH, it is both the most challenging and the most rewarding task it is possible for humans to undertake.   Nothing else even comes close.  

0 Kudos

Pertaining to perspectives, I don't read much more than Shakespeare.
Frequent Contributor
AbsolutePirateVampyre
0 Kudos

Just read it for English. Awesome. funny. One of the best things I've ever read. (I say that about every Shakespeare play)
Awesometastic ^ =.= ^
Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 11 members 447 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: