Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
cheryl_shell
0 Kudos

The firstlings of my hand (4.1.148)

When in Act 4, Scene 1, Macbeth learns that "Macduff is fled to England" (142), he decides to throw caution to the wind and give in to the "firstlings of [his] heart" (147). He first decision is to "Seize upon Fife, give to th' edge o' th' sword / [Macduff's] wife, his babes, and all unfortunate souls / That trace him in his line" (151-53).

The question that I have never satisfactorily been able to answer is this:

Why does he do it? What does he hope to gain by this ruthless act?

What do you all think?
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

Re: The firstlings of my hand (4.1.148)

cheryl_shell wrote:
When in Act 4, Scene 1, Macbeth learns that "Macduff is fled to England" (142), he decides to throw caution to the wind and give in to the "firstlings of [his] heart" (147). He first decision is to "Seize upon Fife, give to th' edge o' th' sword / [Macduff's] wife, his babes, and all unfortunate souls / That trace him in his line" (151-53).

The question that I have never satisfactorily been able to answer is this:

Why does he do it? What does he hope to gain by this ruthless act?

What do you all think?

One possible answer is sheer anger at treachery. The sins of the traitor will be visited upon the wife and children.

Another possible reason is to make sure that Macduff doesn't have access to any support from home, no safe haven to sneak back to, no opportunity of his wife to keep having her bailiff work the land, producing income which she could secretly send down to Macduff.

Another possible reason is to discourage others from following Macduff's example. See what happens if you turn traitor to Scotland?

Another possible example is to seize Macduff's property so he can award it to somebody who supports him. It was not uncommon at the time to seize the estates of those who betrayed the king and give them to loyalists. Get rid of the wife and children who would have a claim, declare Macduff traitor, and take his property to use for Macbeth's benefit.

Just a few possible reasons that pop into my head.
0 Kudos

Any of those reasons could be behind the murder of Macduff's family. I think that Macbeth's anger & frustration cause him to authorize this evil act. He feels thwarted that Macduff escaped from him.

Macbeth says "Time, thou anticipat'st my dread exploits." (4.1.144) These "dread exploits" were probably some kind of action against Macduff resulting in his murder.

Earlier in the scene, after learning the omen that Macduff is his enemy, Macbeth states: "But yet I'll make assurance double sure / And take a bond of fate. Thou salt not live," (4.1.83-4)

Although he believes that Macduff's no threat to him due to the omen about "none of woman born" being able to harm him, he still has enough worry & fear to contemplate eliminating any possibility of Macduff's being a threat. The fact that Macduff fled increases this fear, frustrates him, makes him angry, & causes him to lash out in the cruelest way possible.

It's interesting that Macbeth has been able to eliminate Duncan but not his sons; to eliminate Banquo but not his son; and yet eliminate Macduff's son but not Macduff, who seems to be the greatest threat of all.

Everyman wrote:

One possible answer is sheer anger at treachery. The sins of the traitor will be visited upon the wife and children.

Another possible reason is to make sure that Macduff doesn't have access to any support from home, no safe haven to sneak back to, no opportunity of his wife to keep having her bailiff work the land, producing income which she could secretly send down to Macduff.

Another possible reason is to discourage others from following Macduff's example. See what happens if you turn traitor to Scotland?

Another possible example is to seize Macduff's property so he can award it to somebody who supports him. It was not uncommon at the time to seize the estates of those who betrayed the king and give them to loyalists. Get rid of the wife and children who would have a claim, declare Macduff traitor, and take his property to use for Macbeth's benefit.

Just a few possible reasons that pop into my head.

Liz ♥ ♥

Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested. ~ Francis Bacon
Distinguished Wordsmith
Carmenere_lady
0 Kudos

LizzieAnn wrote:

It's interesting that Macbeth has been able to eliminate Duncan but not his sons; to eliminate Banquo but not his son; and yet eliminate Macduff's son but not Macduff, who seems to be the greatest threat of all.

/blockquote>

Yup, so true Lizzie. By not being able to cut off the head of the snake, so to say,it appears that all of Macbeth's murders are futile. In my opinion, Macbeth knows this and takes out his frustrations on the MacDuff family.
Lynda

"I think of literature.....as a vast country to the far borders of which I am journeying but will never reach."
The Uncommon Reader

"You've been running around naked in the stacks again, haven't you?"
"Um, maybe."
The Time Traveler's Wife

It is with books as with men; a very small number play a great part.
Voltaire
Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 14 members 202 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: