Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Twelfth Night in Other Media

Have you seen a film adaptation of Twelfth Night or experienced the story adapted into another medium?  What did you think of it?

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

Re: Twelfth Night in Other Media

I posted this in another thread:

Twelfth Night 

I think it's beautifully done, and Nigel Hawthorne caused me to not feel so sorry for Malvolio.

"Truth must of necessity be stranger than fiction, for fiction is the creation of the human mind, and therefore is congenial to it." ~~G.K. Chesterton
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

I'll pretend you didn't post that, Laurel, so we don't have to get into the issue of the travesty of denying Shakespeare the right to choose the time and place where he wanted his actions to take place, of making clear that one thinks he was a bad playwright and needs to be improved. 

Laurel wrote:
I posted this in another thread:

Twelfth Night 

I think it's beautifully done, and Nigel Hawthorne caused me to not feel so sorry for Malvolio.

ConnieK wrote:

Have you seen a film adaptation of Twelfth Night or experienced the story adapted into another medium?  What did you think of it?

Apart from the Trevor Nunn film, which in my view is one of the best Shakespeare films available (somewhat influenced by the fact that I adore Imogen Stubbs), I can offer three other recorded versions I own:

1. 1969 version with Joan Plowright as Viola/Sebastian, Alec Guinness as Malvolio, Ralph Richarson as Sir Toby and Tommy Steele as Feste.  Plowright does an interesting job, using her own voice for Viola, a deeper one for Cesario, and a yet deeper one for  Sebastian.  Guinness makes a great Malvolio.

2. 1955 Russian Version with Klara Luchko as Viola.  She's a very pretty woman but doesn't make a very convincing man--Anna Larionova who plays Olivia would do better.  As with most Soviet Shakespeare films, the costumes are predictable, music wonderful and locations majestic.

3. 1988 version directed by Kenneth Branagh and with his favourite actor, Richard Briers, as Malvolio.  Briers does an excellent job. Frances Barber plays Viola. It is based on a stage play and the set has the look of a stage play.  I was taken with Abigail McKern (daughter of famous actor Leo McKern) as Maria.  This production (like with many of Branagh's) has a Victorian look and makes much out of the fact that twelfth night is shortly after Christmas--the costumes and sets are wintry and a Christmas tree is an important feature of the set.

"We're actors - we're the opposite of people" - Tom Stoppard
Frequent Contributor
Rabid_Reader
0 Kudos

The movie "She's the Man" with Amanda Bynes is loosely based on Twelfth Night. It's a more modern adaptation of Shakespeare's work, and I found it amusing that they kept alot of the names like Olivia, Viola, and Sebastian. I thought it was pretty good for the kind of movie it is. 

Rabid_Reader

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Rabid_Reader wrote:

The movie "She's the Man" with Amanda Bynes is loosely based on Twelfth Night. It's a more modern adaptation of Shakespeare's work, and I found it amusing that they kept alot of the names like Olivia, Viola, and Sebastian. I thought it was pretty good for the kind of movie it is. 

Rabid_Reader

Do they acknowledge the play as inspiration, Rabid, or was it more something that you noticed yourself?
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Frequent Contributor
Rabid_Reader
0 Kudos

Imdb says "Based on William Shakespeare's 'Twelfth Night'." And the plot and characters are so closely related if not identical at times, that it would be hard to pass off as merely inspiration.

Rabid_Reader

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Rabid_Reader wrote:

Imdb says "Based on William Shakespeare's 'Twelfth Night'." And the plot and characters are so closely related if not identical at times, that it would be hard to pass off as merely inspiration.

Rabid_Reader

Thanks, Rabid--I'll look into it when I get a chance!
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 53 members 1,179 guests
Recent signins:
Please welcome our newest community members: