Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
jjgemini
0 Kudos

Re: Who's Your Favorite Shakespearean Character?

I have to say King Lear is certainly my favourite Shakespeare character.  While Hamlet is the flawed youth... King Lear is the flawed aged.  He has tried his whole life to do what is right, to run his kingdom, and raise his daughters well; taking care of them as they start their own families... only to find that what he thought was reality has been pulled out from under him.  He loses his daughters, as well as his kingdom, only to be left alone to die with his only friend: the Fool.  His reality shatters and he goes to the brink of insanity.
0 Kudos

When I think of Lear I have an image in my mind.  He's naked on the heath and I see the words "Ecce Homo", here is man.  I'm not Christian but I see the image as a kind of crucifixition, the universal fate of man.  Happy New Year! :smileytongue:
Contributor
Viola25
0 Kudos

I could sooner choose a favorite star in the heavens.
Frequent Contributor
Bolognaking
0 Kudos

I love 'em all.  Of course, how do you evaluate the character outside of his or her function in the play?  Hamlet, Lear, Othello and Shylock are all wonderfully conflicted characters because of where they are placed in the action.

The only character who is such a strong character that he could be lifted out of one play and dropped down whole into another is Falstaff.  Now there's a character!

"We're actors - we're the opposite of people" - Tom Stoppard
Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

One of my favorite characters is Enobarbus, Antony's chief aide in Antony and Cleopatra. He's a common man with an uncommon gift for expression, and his end is excruciatingly poignant. Some of my favorite lines by him:

About Cleopatra's arrival

The barge she sat in, like a burnish'd throne,

Burnt on the water. The poop was beaten gold,

Purple the sails, and so perfumèd that

The winds were love-sick with them; the oars were silver,

Which to the tune of flutes kept stroke, and made

The water which they beat to follow faster,

As amorous of their strokes. For her own person,

It beggar'd all description: she did lie

In her pavilion—cloth of gold, of tissue—

O'er-picturing that Venus where we see

The fancy outwork nature.

About Cleopatra herself

Age cannot wither her, nor custom stale

Her infinite variety: other women cloy

The appetites they feed; but she makes hungry

Where most she satisfies: for vilest things

Become themselves in her; that the holy priests

Bless her when she is riggish.

"Truth must of necessity be stranger than fiction, for fiction is the creation of the human mind, and therefore is congenial to it." ~~G.K. Chesterton
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

You realize that those lines on Cleopatra's arrival were lifted, almost word for word in parts, from Plutarch. 

Laurel wrote:

One of my favorite characters is Enobarbus, Antony's chief aide in Antony and Cleopatra. He's a common man with an uncommon gift for expression, and his end is excruciatingly poignant. Some of my favorite lines by him:

Purple the sails, and so perfumèd that

The winds were love-sick with them; the oars were silver,

Which to the tune of flutes kept stroke, and made

The water which they beat to follow faster,

As amorous of their strokes. For her own person,

It beggar'd all description: she did lie

In her pavilion—cloth of gold, of tissue—

O'er-picturing that Venus where we see

The fancy outwork nature.

About Cleopatra herself

Age cannot wither her, nor custom stale

Her infinite variety: other women cloy

The appetites they feed; but she makes hungry

Where most she satisfies: for vilest things

Become themselves in her; that the holy priests

Bless her when she is riggish.

0 Kudos

Yes, it was somewhere in the back of my mind. Imagine, Plutarch stealing from Enobarbus! Would there were more history books with such beauty!

Everyman wrote:

You realize that those lines on Cleopatra's arrival were lifted, almost word for word in parts, from Plutarch. 

Laurel wrote:

"Truth must of necessity be stranger than fiction, for fiction is the creation of the human mind, and therefore is congenial to it." ~~G.K. Chesterton
Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Right now, I do like Othello, but also, I like Kate in The Taming of a Shrew.
Message Edited by maxcat on 02-02-2009 10:20 AM
The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
New User
Manda3
0 Kudos

I also like Kate from Taming of the Shrew. In an age when woman were supposed to be submissiveto men, she was strong and independant. Very inspiring. I also like the three witches in Macbeth. Terry Pratchett wrote the Wyrd Sisters based on them.
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Manda3 wrote:
I also like Kate from Taming of the Shrew. In an age when woman were supposed to be submissiveto men, she was strong and independant. Very inspiring. I also like the three witches in Macbeth. Terry Pratchett wrote the Wyrd Sisters based on them.

Welcome, Manda and other new users on this thread!  We discussed Taming a few months ago here, Manda.  Many folks agree with you about Kate's strength.  We've also talked about Macbeth, but I don't remember anyone focusing on the witches as much, who are uber-cool!
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Distinguished Correspondent
Taylor-Marie
0 Kudos

I have to say Romeo. It's very comical (to me at least) how his emotions drive him to actions that lead to his unhappiness and to his death, but it could have been avoided altogether if he had restrained those emotions, such as restraining his anger against Tybalt.

But of course, if that happened it would not be the tragedy of Romeo and Juliet, that we love, haha.

-------------------
My teachers tell me I daydream too much....I tell them they work too much.
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Taylor-Marie wrote:

I have to say Romeo. It's very comical (to me at least) how his emotions drive him to actions that lead to his unhappiness and to his death, but it could have been avoided altogether if he had restrained those emotions, such as restraining his anger against Tybalt.

But of course, if that happened it would not be the tragedy of Romeo and Juliet, that we love, haha.

So true, Taylor!  I love how Shakespeare captures the passion of youth so well in that play. 
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Frequent Contributor
Benedict3
0 Kudos

Hi to all that I have not converst with for some time.  I went from Benedict to Benedict1 to Benedict3.  Not sure why I needed to do that, other than forgetting my password.

Anyhow,

King Lear is such a beautiful topic, and Character.  When I think of King Lear, I think of someone who has always "played the part of King" and has always done the right thing according to societies assumptions of what the right thing is.  The plays the part and believes that his IS the part so much that he internalizes 'every inch of a King'.

But toward the end of the play many people, most everyone, excepting myself, see him as going crazy as he feels the water on his naked body.

To me the reality recognized of his youngest daughters love for him, and the fake presentations made by himself and his other two daughters gives him his first glimps into reality.  Whereas prior to that point everything was a roll to be played.

Once the recognition of his youngest daughters love for him was recognized he felt naturally and directly for the first time.  She was being truthful, and although it is difficult to be truthful in love, King Lear recognized it for the first time just prior to walking out into the rain.

He felt emotional reality during his recognition of what daughter truly loved him and was direct with him, then he felt the sensation of water on his skin.  Something very real, in the moment.  Nobody can tell you what you should feel when standing naked in the rain any more than somebody can tell you how you should feel when a daughter flatters you or is direct with you.

Beautiful, in that when most people say King Lear is going crazy, I say that he is getting his first glimps of reality, painful as it is.

Timbuktu2 wrote:
When I think of Lear I have an image in my mind.  He's naked on the heath and I see the words "Ecce Homo", here is man.  I'm not Christian but I see the image as a kind of crucifixition, the universal fate of man.  Happy New Year! :smileytongue:

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

This talk of Lear is making me want to re-read it soon! 
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Contributor
SusanHG
0 Kudos

Feste from Twelfth Night.  The lines in Act 3 Scene 1 Lines 53-54 sum it up, "This fellow is wise enough to play the fool, And to do that well craves a kind of wit." Feste is forever the wise outsider in the play, and I can relate to that.

Hamlet used to be my favorite, but as I age I am beginning to appreciate Shakespeare's comedies more.  Hamlet remains my second choice, though.  Third choice, Richard III.

Susan

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

SusanHG wrote:

Feste from Twelfth Night.  The lines in Act 3 Scene 1 Lines 53-54 sum it up, "This fellow is wise enough to play the fool, And to do that well craves a kind of wit." Feste is forever the wise outsider in the play, and I can relate to that.

Hamlet used to be my favorite, but as I age I am beginning to appreciate Shakespeare's comedies more.  Hamlet remains my second choice, though.  Third choice, Richard III.

Susan

Nice quote, Susan!
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Contributor
krakow
0 Kudos

Feste is forever the wise outsider in the play, and I can relate to that.

Kudos to Susan for posting such a personal note!  Perhaps in a different forum, she would eleborate . . .

Krakow

Krakow
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

krakow wrote:

Feste is forever the wise outsider in the play, and I can relate to that.

Kudos to Susan for posting such a personal note!  Perhaps in a different forum, she would eleborate . . .

Krakow

Welcome, Krakow!  I'm not quite sure what you see as personal in S's. note, but I'm glad she posted also!
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Contributor
krakow
0 Kudos

Hey Connie,

Thank you for the warm welcome!!  I look forward to chatting with fellow book lovers here!!  My comment regarding Susan's statement is that she seems to be saying that, in some way, she is a wise outsider in life forever looking in.  Again, I give her credit for making the statement and I support her selection of Feste as her favorite.Thank you again for welcoming me onboard!!

Krakow
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

krakow wrote:

Hey Connie,

Thank you for the warm welcome!!  I look forward to chatting with fellow book lovers here!!  My comment regarding Susan's statement is that she seems to be saying that, in some way, she is a wise outsider in life forever looking in.  Again, I give her credit for making the statement and I support her selection of Feste as her favorite.Thank you again for welcoming me onboard!!

Oh, I gotcha, krakow.  Thanks for elaborating! 
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 624 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: