Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Chapters 5-8, No Spoilers Please

For readers who would like to discuss the book sequentially, this thread is for posts related particularly to Chapters 5-8, or from Chapter 1 up to and including Chapter 8.
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Inspired Wordsmith
Sunltcloud
0 Kudos

Re: Chapters 5-8, No Spoilers Please

Love as an Art.

Page 60. Kamala says:

“You are the best lover I have ever had. You are stronger than others, more flexible, more willing. You have learned my art well, Siddhartha. Someday, when I am older, I want to have your child. And nonetheless, my love, you have remained a sharamana, nonetheless you do not love me, you love no human being. Is this not so?”
“It may well be so, “ Siddhartha said wearily. “I am like you. You do not love either – how could you practice love as an art otherwise? People of our kind may not be able to love. Child people can love; that is their secret.”

I don’t understand the reason for Siddhartha to learn Kamala’s “art.” (Other than that it is an important part of Hinduism as expression of sensual enjoyment) Is he looking for love? Is he trying to perfect his “manliness?” What is he learning, experiencing? Is H. H. dissing lust when he lets us know that Kamala doesn’t love anybody? Or is this just another step on the literary ladder to the ending? Somebody enlighten me, please!
Contributor
evansj
0 Kudos

I get the feeling that his desire to learn about her "art" is his way of learning from her about how she views life and love. That is, he might see her as someone so different from him on many levels that he is curious to gain insight into her way of life. This goes along with his whole 'learning from experience and teaching' ideas as well. She is teaching him about herself, but he is also experiencing her lust and physical relationship.
Inspired Wordsmith
Sunltcloud
0 Kudos

evansj wrote:
I get the feeling that his desire to learn about her "art" is his way of learning from her about how she views life and love. That is, he might see her as someone so different from him on many levels that he is curious to gain insight into her way of life. This goes along with his whole 'learning from experience and teaching' ideas as well. She is teaching him about herself, but he is also experiencing her lust and physical relationship.

Thanks evansj for responding to my question. I understand what you are saying about him wanting to learn how she views life and love. He must have thought in the beginning that she could teach him about love. But when he says in the end "You do not love either - how could you practice love as an art otherwise?" he must have realized that love is something more than "art." And I guess the only way he could have understood this is by experiencing it through her.
Contributor
SAP7
0 Kudos

1. We cant believe that Govinda decided to let Siddartha go his own way.
2. Siddartha also had a dream of govinda turning into a woman and having sexual relations with him. He was having mixed thoughts about his sexuality due to the dream. When a woman offers him sexual relations he turns away and denies himself the pleasure. Is he having mixed feelings about women and his sexuality or is he just a little scared at this time?

3. Everything is bringing up sexual orientation. All we keep reading is about pleasure gardens and random women he sees.

4. Siddartha finishes his journey.

5. This a really wierd book.......seriously
Contributor
SAP19
0 Kudos

How did Siddarthur feel when he had to leave his best friend.
Does Siddarthur miss his father.
How does he spirtually connect to the Samarans?
What was the realtionship between Siddarthur and the merchant?
Contributor
SAP1
0 Kudos

1. Siddartha left Govinda
2. Siddartha was intrigued by Buddha after talking to him
3. Siddartha wanted to become enlightened like Buddha
4. Govinda stayed with Buddha
5. Siddartha left on his own journey to become enlightened
McLovin, BLue, Leonidas
Contributor
SAP2
0 Kudos

1. Chapter 5-8 put me to sleep. I dont remember much from it since we read it like two months ago but from what i remember it wasnt too interesting.
2. We didnt like the content of the chapter because it was boring.
3. The book began to get better as I got deeper into the story and I was more interested.
4. Chapter 5-8 was good because when he had that kid it spiced up the story.
5. Chapter 5-8 bored me and I didnt really understand it.
Contributor
SAP6
0 Kudos

1. Its weird how siddhartha turned that one women away at the river but later wanted to learn how to love from another one.
2. I thought this is were the book pick up a bit and became a little more interesting.
3. I believe siddhartha is somewhat a hypocrite, because he hated one women for lusting over him and he him self had a lust for the princess.
4. By this point Siddhartha is forgetting all of his beliefs and is going down a path that he despised before.
5. I have a hard time understanding Siddhartha sometimes.
Inspired Wordsmith
Sunltcloud
0 Kudos

SAP6 wrote in part: 5. I have a hard time understanding Siddhartha sometimes.

As I just wrote somewhere else, I do too. I have to look at the book as a fairy tale to appreciate the message. A fairy tale usually is a simplified version of a real situation. The writer only lets us know the outcome of those points that are important to the main question. In this case it is enlightenment. If it doesn't have to do with enlightenment we never find out what Siddhartha did with the rest of his life.

Another reason we don't understand Siddhartha is that we are not familiar with the kind of life Buddhist monks lead. We are taught to go to work, earn money, take care of our responsibilities. Siddhartha does not work for a living (except when he is with the merchant), he eats what is offered him, and seems to escape responsibility for all that is "worldly." Yes, that is hard to understand.

What I do when I read Siddhartha is to pretend that it all is only a thought process and that no real people are involved. The thought process deals with the question: how do I achieve balance within myself? Then I listen to the river, which is actually a metaphor for my conscience.
Contributor
SAT10
0 Kudos

1.) The ending sections of the book pull the entire book together. The reader is able to see how the book pulls together.

2.) We were surprised that Siddhartha decided to leave Govinda and go on his own path.

3.) It was surprising that Siddhartha wwent with the ferryman.

4.) We were also surprised that Siddhartha had a child.

5.) Why didn't Siddhartha know his child before?
Inspired Wordsmith
Sunltcloud
0 Kudos

SAT10 wrote:
4.) We were also surprised that Siddhartha had a child.

5.) Why didn't Siddhartha know his child before?

At the end of "Samsara" you'll find the answer to your question:

When she was first informed of Siddhartha's disappearance, she stepped over to the window, where she kept a rare songbird captive in a golden cage. She opened the door of the cage, took the bird out and let it fly away. For a long time she followed it with her gaze, the bird in its flight. From this day on she received no more visitors, and she kept her house locked. After some time had passed though, she was aware she was pregnant from the last time she and Siddhartha had been together.
New User
SAP3
0 Kudos

1. Its crazy how Siddhartha fell in love with a prostitute.
2. These chapters was a little turning point in the story of Siddharthar and his search.
3. They told the reader why and how he stayed with Kamala for so long.
4. Makes it seem that he is suicidle in chapter 8.
5. Siddharthars emotions change from the beginning to the end many times.
Contributor
SAP4
0 Kudos

1. I think it was good that Govinda left Siddy to go his own way, many people do that, but this situation was kind of pathetic seeing how Govinda was so attached to Siddy.

2.It was sweet(In an emotional state) How Siddy fell in love with a cortesan. dispite her profession he still had some sort of emotion toward her,.

3.comparison of Siddy to that caged songbird= awesome

4. siddy turns into a compulsive gambler--> becomes one of the materialists that he despised when he first entered the city

5. siddy learns that living above the world isn't going to help him achieve nirvana.
Reader
SAP8
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
1. Govinda turns into a woman, and so then Siddartha does something to him that is a little inappropriate.
2. Kamala and Siddartha should be married.
3. kamaswami wants respect from Siddartha, as well as Siddartha wants respect from Kamaswami.
4. Govinda has dreams that are really wild and crazy.
5. siddartha learns to cherish time and to be happy through it, instead of wasting it being mad or upset.

Message Edited by ConnieK on 02-03-2008 08:49 AM
SAP8===D
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 11 members 150 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: