Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Chapters 9-12, Spoilers OK

For readers who would like to discuss the book sequentially, this thread is for posts related to Chapters 9-12, in particular. SPOILER ALERT: Readers of this thread who have not completed the book may run into spoilers here.
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Frequent Contributor
Benedict
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself

[ Edited ]
Hi,

My last girlfriend gave me this book after we parted. I loved the book as well as the gift of the book. It was great how he was able to renounce material needs toward the end of the book. And take a step back from what society expects us to do. And then in the end, the love of his son, brings him right back into the day to day emotions of life. He ends up finding out that he is human, not because society requires it, but because his heart for his son lives it. I don’t have kids, so this is only intellectual understanding. I'd like to read it again with the group to hear others opinions.

Message Edited by Benedict on 12-29-2007 06:40 AM
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Welcome, Benedict! We look forward to hearing your impressions after your re-read. I've moved your introduction here so as not to spoil the plot for first-time readers.

~ConnieK

Benedict wrote:
Hi,

My last girlfriend gave me this book after we parted. I loved the book as well as the gift of the book. It was great how he was able to renounce material needs toward the end of the book. And take a step back from what society expects us to do. And then in the end, the love of his son, brings him right back into the day to day emotions of life. He ends up finding out that he is human, not because society requires it, but because his heart for his son lives it. I don’t have kids, so this is only intellectual understanding. I'd like to read it again with the group to hear others opinions.

Message Edited by Benedict on 12-29-2007 06:40 AM

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Contributor
kayaklloyd
0 Kudos

AS a father of an 18 year old son, this sory had a great deal of personal incite. You cannot control what you love. Therefore, can you love at all. i realize that love is not meant to be controling but I think that letting go of what you love is very painful. Siddartha has the hardest time recociling that.
Inspired Wordsmith
Sunltcloud
0 Kudos

kayaklloyd wrote:
AS a father of an 18 year old son, this sory had a great deal of personal incite. You cannot control what you love. Therefore, can you love at all. i realize that love is not meant to be controling but I think that letting go of what you love is very painful. Siddartha has the hardest time recociling that.

I agree, letting go of what you love is very painful. Frankly, as a mother I have never been able to let go completely. When one of my children gets into trouble or experiences a set-back of some sort, I feel for them. Of course, most of the time I just act as if I were only observing, but inside I feel their pain. (My children are in their forties!)

I wonder what Hermann Hesse went through when he separated from his schizophrenic wife and left his three boys with friends in 1919. I think some of the "letting go" so agonizingly described in Siddhartha must have been his way of dealing with his family situation.
Contributor
SAP1
0 Kudos

Re: Chapters 9-12, Spoilers OK

I figured that Govinda siddhartha would finally meet again.
Siddhartha becomes the bridge toll guy.
Siddhartha finally reaches complete enlightenment.
Siddhartha let his son choose his own path like his father let him choose his path.
Govinda i think also became enlightened.

Blue, leonidas and Mcloven
Contributor
SAP6
0 Kudos

1. I thought that this was the point were the book finally picked up for me.
2. The book is going in circles with the son running amay from siddartha.
3. The book is still isnt interesting and i could not get in to it.
4. I was forced to read this in class so i never enjoyed reading it.
5. After 20 years of relations with kamala they finally have a kid! what the heck.
Contributor
SAP2
0 Kudos

HC- I believe that chapters 9-12 were the most exciting chapters in the book.
AD- THe Buddhist idea of "right rapture" is interesting and protrayed in the book. Siddhartha being enlightened mocks the glory of his knowledge knowing that full communication is impossible.
EW- I believe that the chapter was very moving. It emotionally touched my heart when he was enlightened into a religious world. I was so moved that i was emotionally unstabled for the rest of the day.
PC- When i was reading chapters 9-12 i was aroused. It made me feel like ive never felt before. It touched me.
LC- I thought the last chapters were boring it still put me to sleep.
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 30 members 751 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: