Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself

Welcome, cuznsteve! Reminding you of your own life--what a neat thought and expression that is. Thank you! I look forward to your posts.

~ConnieK

cuznsteve wrote:
Hi ! It's cuznsteve here. Yep, many many moons ago, I had the great opportunity to attend high school summer school . Our instructor had a fair build , tan of skin, and positive suggestion to read Sidhartha by Herman Hesse , whom he proved to resemble in more ways than those three.
Other books by Herman Hesse are equalling engrossing and fulfilling. I have always wanted to read more and more of him , but have only a few .
Perhaps its time for me to reread Siddhartha' journey and struglgle for Truth and Peace once again .
Thankyou for your participation,and reminding me in many ways of my own life.

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Hi, cuznsteve--I'm actually new to this one, (a small detail soon to be remedied, though)! The early comments of members who read it years ago make me really look forward to it.

~ConnieK

cuznsteve wrote:
Hi connie k ! Have you read Siddhartha yet ?
cuznsteve

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
New User
johnsbowers
0 Kudos

Hi -- I'm John Bowers and I read Siddhartha for the first time last year. It was a deeply touching experience and I'm looking forward to discussing it. I've also read Steppenwolf but none of Hesse's other works.

I'm an information technology manager at a university in Kentucky. Glad to be a part of this group.
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Welcome, John! Your comments add to so many others here about the beauty of this book. I hope you enjoy the club!

~ConnieK

johnsbowers wrote:
Hi -- I'm John Bowers and I read Siddhartha for the first time last year. It was a deeply touching experience and I'm looking forward to discussing it. I've also read Steppenwolf but none of Hesse's other works.

I'm an information technology manager at a university in Kentucky. Glad to be a part of this group.

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Contributor
verso
0 Kudos

Hi, my name is Terry, and I am intrigued with the character in Siddhartha. I would like to see how he attains enlightenment. I look forward to discussing many aspects of the novel.
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Welcome, verso! Glad to have you in the discussion of this book.

~ConnieK
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Contributor
cuznsteve
0 Kudos

This is great ! A forum , on one of my all time favorite books . Siddhartha , by Herman Hesse , has served as a guiding light in my life .Now I am 52. I read it first when I was 17. It has helped me understand the eternal struglle, and the finality of peace. The runa round life can give and the saturation of pleasures. Its one big happy circle of cylces,joy and disgust ,adventure and routine.Oh , theres so much I could say in praise of this book.And the way I was introduced to it many moons ago and by whom.
Thankyou, best of everything to you all ! You can call me , cuznsteve. Bye for now .
And thanks Jessica!
Contributor
cuznsteve
0 Kudos

Thankyou Connie K , for the warm welcome . i am not sure if I will be participating is posts, as, it has been a long long time since my reading , and it wouldnt be fair to others for me to occupy space with the limited knowledge I have . Perhaps I will try ...no promises. I have already noticed it is way deeper than I am used to thinking of it . I never really analyzed , just lived it. By the way , has anyone ever scene the movie , which was great to see it visualized other than my own imagination. Thankyou again , best regards, Steve.
New User
rsrey
0 Kudos

Hello, I am also an 11th grade English teacher. I'll be teaching Siddhartha in month. Have always wanted to read it and now I have a reason. Also, now I know more about the Buddha and Buddhism I think I'll get more out of it than I would have if I had read it years ago in college. I look forward to seeing everyone's comments.
Sarah
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

cuznsteve--Feel free to participate at any level with which you're comfortable. Also, discussion can be lighter for first-time readers, or more in-depth for those who are more familiar with the concepts and philosophies expressed in the book. Readers can just jump in at whatever level they choose and begin discussions at any level as well.

~ConnieK

cuznsteve wrote:
Thankyou Connie K , for the warm welcome . i am not sure if I will be participating is posts, as, it has been a long long time since my reading , and it wouldnt be fair to others for me to occupy space with the limited knowledge I have . Perhaps I will try ...no promises. I have already noticed it is way deeper than I am used to thinking of it . I never really analyzed , just lived it. By the way , has anyone ever scene the movie , which was great to see it visualized other than my own imagination. Thankyou again , best regards, Steve.

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Welcome, Sarah! I hope you're able to get something from the club experience this month that may be of use to you in your teaching. We look forward to your comments.

~ConnieK

rsrey wrote:
Hello, I am also an 11th grade English teacher. I'll be teaching Siddhartha in month. Have always wanted to read it and now I have a reason. Also, now I know more about the Buddha and Buddhism I think I'll get more out of it than I would have if I had read it years ago in college. I look forward to seeing everyone's comments.

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Frequent Contributor
tgem
0 Kudos

Hi there everyone,

Reading Siddhartha in the sixties seemed to be a right of passage. Along with many others, I was introduced to an eastern perspective on life. The Beat writers - like Kerouac and Ginsberg were also part of this. And let's not forget the Beatles trip to India to meditate with a yogi. It was about 30 years later that I realized what a major influence all this had on me. I look forward to this flashback in time with fellow readers. (this is my first time posting on this site- I hope it comes out right...) Jeanne
Contributor
kayaklloyd
0 Kudos

Hi all:
My name is Lloyd. I have owned a copy of Siddartha more several years now and have never taken it off the shelf. I began reading it yesterday and am about 2/3 thru. I am thouroughly enjoying the experience. It is my goal for this year to read the Qu'ran, Bagavad Ghita, and reread some of the Old Testament. This book is a great story of lifes search. I look forward to following the discussions.
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Welcome, tgem! You'll find that you are in good company with those who read this book the first time many years ago. Feel free to post on any subject and jump right in to the discussion!

~ConnieK

tgem wrote:
Hi there everyone,

Reading Siddhartha in the sixties seemed to be a right of passage. Along with many others, I was introduced to an eastern perspective on life. The Beat writers - like Kerouac and Ginsberg were also part of this. And let's not forget the Beatles trip to India to meditate with a yogi. It was about 30 years later that I realized what a major influence all this had on me. I look forward to this flashback in time with fellow readers. (this is my first time posting on this site- I hope it comes out right...) Jeanne

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Welcome, Lloyd! I have also just read this book for the first time, so I hope you won't feel in any way shy about posting your impressions when they come to you.

~ConnieK

kayaklloyd wrote:
Hi all:
My name is Lloyd. I have owned a copy of Siddartha more several years now and have never taken it off the shelf. I began reading it yesterday and am about 2/3 thru. I am thouroughly enjoying the experience. It is my goal for this year to read the Qu'ran, Bagavad Ghita, and reread some of the Old Testament. This book is a great story of lifes search. I look forward to following the discussions.

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Reader
iciclesnot
0 Kudos

Hello! As I register my classes, I am wondering, why when we view the forum there are two sets of topics, one on the top half and one on the bottom half? Thanks! All my classes will be on here tomorrow and registered! Thanks!

Harry
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

The threads above the line are "floated" to the top for all users. These threads usually contain announcements to the group, introductions, etc. As moderator, I also put the threads for chapter-by-chapter discussions there for those who have not completed the book yet and want to discuss it as they go along. In those chapter threads, we ask that members do not post "spoilers," that is, information about the plot from later in the book than the chapters listed on the thread.

Below the line are other threads and topics where members can assume readers have read the entire book and do not have to be concerned with "spoilers" in their discussion.

Does that help make the layout more clear? If not, please don't hesitate to ask any other questions you or your students may have.

~ConnieK

iciclesnot wrote:
Hello! As I register my classes, I am wondering, why when we view the forum there are two sets of topics, one on the top half and one on the bottom half? Thanks! All my classes will be on here tomorrow and registered! Thanks!

Harry

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Reader
SAP8
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
hello everyone,
This is "Group SAP8." We are from "S" Senior High School and we represent our World Literature Class for AP English 11. The connection that we have Siddartha is the fact of the book being World Literature. So we have read the book and reviewed and went into even deeper thought of the book itself as well as the characters and etc.

Message Edited by ConnieK on 01-09-2008 09:00 PM
SAP8===D
Reader
SAP5
0 Kudos

Hello!!..we are group SAP5... we are representing our AP English 11 class from "S" Senior High School... we have been reading the book Siddhartha.. we felt the book ws a little different... but after reading it, it wasnt as bad as we thought...
Contributor
SAP4
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Hi. My English teacher signed my group up for this. We are from "S" High School. ...S. and B. are also in this group but as usual they are discussing something non-siddhartha related. I'm c. sleep is good. books are too. i just didn't like this one.

Message Edited by ConnieK on 01-11-2008 08:21 PM
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 222 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: