Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
SAP19
0 Kudos

Re: Teachings of the Buddha

ConnieK wrote:
BarbaraN and Sunltcloud--Please don't hesitate to start new threads on topics of discussion that interest you. All members can start new threads, not just the moderator!

EnJOY!

~ConnieK

BarbaraN wrote:
Brilliant idea Sunltcloud. I think this deserves a separate thread but I will leave that to Connie to decide.

today in my class we saw a movie from indian people and its called "mother india" and i like it because they way they made the movie got very intersting and i wanted to keep looking at it. it kind of made me see how it really works in india. i saw that these people worl really hard in their lands and even all the difficulties they have passes to they still maintained strong through all the bad things that happen...
and the mother impressed me of how a hard working mother she was and even her husband left her she still runed their lands her being a women i was impresses of her hard work i really like this movie even though my teacher told me it was really long i felt like watching it from the beginning i enjoyd it so much.
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Hi, SAP19 Member--

Did the movie help clarify anything about the novel for you? I'd be interested to know.

~ConnieK

SAP19 wrote:
today in my class we saw a movie from indian people and its called "mother india" and i like it because they way they made the movie got very intersting and i wanted to keep looking at it. it kind of made me see how it really works in india. i saw that these people worl really hard in their lands and even all the difficulties they have passes to they still maintained strong through all the bad things that happen...
and the mother impressed me of how a hard working mother she was and even her husband left her she still runed their lands her being a women i was impresses of her hard work i really like this movie even though my teacher told me it was really long i felt like watching it from the beginning i enjoyd it so much.

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Inspired Wordsmith
Sunltcloud
0 Kudos

Re: Movie about India

If you ever want to see a more lighthearted movie about India you may want to watch "Monsoon Wedding" It was made in 2001, won a Golden Lion Award at the Venice Film Festival, and is about the romantic entanglements during a wedding in New Delhi. It is an arranged marriage and the movie gives a traditional picture of India in a modern era. I saw it a few years ago and remember the vibrant colors and the upbeat mood.

A student from SAP19 wrote:

Inspired Wordsmith
Sunltcloud
0 Kudos

Re: Concerning Buddhism

If you hurt an innocent person, then you are only hurting yourself, just as dust thrown into a wind is blown back in your face.

From Dhammapada chapter 9 verse 125
Inspired Wordsmith
Sunltcloud
0 Kudos

Sandcastles

Some children were playing beside a river. They made castles of sand, and each child defended his castle and said, “This one is mine.” They kept their castles separate and would not allow any mistakes about which was whose. When the castles were all finished, one child kicked over someone else’s castle and completely destroyed it. The owner of the castle flew into a rage, pulled the other child’s hair, struck him with his fist and bawled out, “He has spoiled my castle! Come along all of you and help me to punish him as he deserves.” The others all came to his help. They beat the child with a stick and then stamped on him as he lay on the ground. Then they went on playing in their sand castles, each saying, “This is mine; no one else may have it. Keep away! Don’t touch my castle!” But evening came; it was getting dark and they all thought they ought to be going home. No one now cared what became of his castle. One child stamped on his, another pushed his over with both hands. Then they turned away and went back, each to his home.

From the book “Teachings of the Buddha” edited by Jack Kornfield. (From the Yogacara Bhumi Sutra, translated by Arthur Waley)
Inspired Wordsmith
Sunltcloud
0 Kudos

Does it really matter whether someone else is innocent or guilty? Only worry about yourself and your own actions. (Amagandha Sutta)
Inspired Wordsmith
Sunltcloud
0 Kudos

It is not certain that ritual, study, meditation, mindfulness or a solitary life will bring you Nirvana. But you can achieve this, simply by living a proper life. (The Dhammapada, chapter 19, verses 271 & 272)
Inspired Wordsmith
Sunltcloud
0 Kudos

You are what you think. Pain will follow bad thoughts as certain as happiness will follow good ones. (The Dhammapada, chapter 1, verses 1 & 2.
New User
josh_easter
0 Kudos

A great book to read on the teachings of the Buddha is A Modern Buddhist Bible: Essential Readings from East and West it has many writings by many different scholars, monks, and His Holiness the Fourteenth Dalai Lama.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 63 members 299 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: