Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Off-Topic Cafe

Here is a thread for conversation that is off-topic from the book. Feel free to post here to get to know fellow club members, share related information or comments, etc.
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Inspired Wordsmith
Sunltcloud
0 Kudos

Re: Off-Topic Cafe

tgem, here is something about teachers. I found it in "Awakening the Buddha Within" by Lama Surya Das and he took it from the "Dhammapada" the Sayings of the Buddha:

How joyful to look upon the Awakened
and to keep company with the wise.

follow then the shining ones,
the wise, the awakened, the loving,
for they know how to work and forbear.

But if you cannot find
friend or master to go with you,
travel alone -
like a king who has given away his kingdom,
like an elephant in the forest.

If I remember I will write something Buddhism-related here every day for the length of the discussion.
Frequent Contributor
BarbaraN
0 Kudos

Teachings of the Buddha

Sunltcloud wrote:
tgem, here is something about teachers. I found it in "Awakening the Buddha Within" by Lama Surya Das and he took it from the "Dhammapada" the Sayings of the Buddha:

But if you cannot find
travel alone -

If I remember I will write something Buddhism-related here every day for the length of the discussion.

Brilliant idea Sunltcloud. I think this deserves a separate thread but I will leave that to Connie to decide.
Frequent Contributor
BarbaraN
0 Kudos

Re: Teachings of the Buddha

A Lamp Unto Yourself

Therefore, Amanda, be ye lamps unto yourselves, be ye a refuge to yourself. Betake yourselves to no external refuge. Hold fast to the Truth as a lamp; hold fast to the Truth as a refuge. Look not for a refuge in anyone besides yourself. And those, Ananda, who either now or after I am dead shall be a lamp unto themselves, shall betake themselves to no external refuge, but holding fast to the Truth as their lamp, and holding fast to the Truth as their refuge, shall not look for refuge to anyone besides themselves--it is they who shall reach the very topmost Height. But they must be anxious to learn.

From the Mahaparinibbana Sutta (trans T W Rhys-Davids)
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Re: Teachings of the Buddha

BarbaraN and Sunltcloud--Please don't hesitate to start new threads on topics of discussion that interest you. All members can start new threads, not just the moderator!

EnJOY!

~ConnieK

BarbaraN wrote:
Brilliant idea Sunltcloud. I think this deserves a separate thread but I will leave that to Connie to decide.

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Frequent Contributor
tgem
0 Kudos

Sunltcloud wrote:

But if you cannot find
travel alone -

Greetings Sunltcloud and group readers,

I will look forward to your posts on Buddhism. I had mentioned that I would find something about the teacher/student relationship from a book by Ani Tenzin Palmo whose story was so wonderfully told in the book "Cave in the Snow: A Western Woman's Quest for Enlightenment." She has a chapter in her book, "Reflections on a Mountain Lake", titled "The Role of the Spiritual Master." She mentions a traditional analogy: "the blessings of the Buddhas...are infinite and incredibly powerful..." [like the sun], the teacher, or master is like a magnifying glass, taking the sun that normally warms all and focusing it to a flamelike intensity. (p206).

She also writes that if we do meet a teacher who has wisdom "you should gain some teaching from that person and go away and work on it." She recommends that if we haven't met someone like this that we learn from "whatever sources of understanding,wisdom and genuine practice are available to you. We all have so much to do." (p212) She mentions the line from the movie "Kundun" (a must see for anyone who wants to learn about Tibet and the Dalai Lama) where the Dalai Lama says, "You cannot liberate me, I can only liberate myself." (p212) tgem
Inspired Wordsmith
Sunltcloud
0 Kudos

Thanks, tgem, I loved the movie Kundun. And now, it's almost one o'clock in the morning, I will end my day with something from a book I read a few years ago.

From “Buddhism Through American Women’s Eyes” edited by Karma Lekshe Tsomo.

Excerpt from Chapter 10 Karma: Creative Responsibility

In the Buddhist system there is no one sitting in judgment, no punishing God, and no one dictating right and wrong. Instead, there is the Noble Eightfold Path of right view, right intention, right speech, right action, right livelihood, right effort, right mindfulness, and right concentration based upon and understanding of the impersonal law of cause and effect, known as karma. Just as mango seeds give rise to mango trees and chili seeds give rise to chili plants, wholesome deeds lead to happiness while unwholesome deeds lead to suffering. Since everyone wants to be happy and no one wants to suffer, it stands to reason that we should strive to avoid unwholesome actions and create wholesome ones. Buddhism does not decree absolute right or wrong, but leaves individuals free to determine for themselves the appropriate course of action in the particular circumstances. Thus Buddhism presents an ethic of personal choice and responsibility, based on an understanding of cause and effect, and informed by compassion and wisdom.
Inspired Wordsmith
Sunltcloud
0 Kudos

From "Teachings of the Buddha" edited by Jack Kornfield.

The Buddha said, "To be attached to a certain view and to look down upon other views as inferior - this the wise call a fetter." (from the SUTTA NIPATA, tranlated by K. R. Norman)
Inspired Wordsmith
Sunltcloud
0 Kudos

The correct way of living is not found simply by discussing the theory of it. Even without study you can experience it, but you have to live it.

The Dhammapada, chapter 19, verse 259
Contributor
SAP2
0 Kudos

We have been learning about the cultures and caste system of India. We have watched movies and read books on the topic. As a group we believe that the caste system should be banned, It not necessary. We think everyone can get along poor or rich.
Contributor
SAP19
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

ConnieK wrote:
Here is a thread for conversation that is off-topic from the book. Feel free to post here to get to know fellow club members, share related information or comments, etc.

Dis is from SAP19: Patriots should not win the SuperBowl...who agrees?...Come on some one has to...

Message Edited by SAP19 on 01-11-2008 01:17 PM
Contributor
SAP19
0 Kudos

Just write about anything....well the sky is gray the clouds are showing....well it was raining but now it's not and guess what i have a game tomorrow...i wonder what he is thinking...about me..maybe....i dont know, i hope so well i'm done.
Contributor
SAP19
0 Kudos

SAP2 wrote:
We have been learning about the cultures and caste system of India. We have watched movies and read books on the topic. As a group we believe that the caste system should be banned, It not necessary. We think everyone can get along poor or rich.

SAP2 wrote:

SAP2 wrote:

SAP2 wrote:

SAP2 wrote:

SAP2 wrote:

Well I think fried chicken tastes good. You know its really really good. So good dat it makes u wanna slap...well...Mr. Brake syke.
Contributor
SAP19
0 Kudos

You are crazy the Patriots should win the Super Bowl and do you see Tom Brady? His looks are enough for him to get in and win. lol

Shannon W
Contributor
SAP19
0 Kudos

We've been focusing on the country India. We've did stuff with it and that's how we came about writing Thesises. We found articles and everything.
Contributor
SAT10
0 Kudos

New laws are being passed in India to help women gain more rights. They still have a lot of work to do, but at least progress is being made.
Inspired Wordsmith
Sunltcloud
0 Kudos

SAP2 wrote:

I totally agree. Even without a caste system there are enough barriers between rich and poor; who needs an artificial division?
Inspired Wordsmith
Sunltcloud
0 Kudos

Re: Concerning Buddhism

The Buddha was a Human Being.
From “Opening the Lotus” by Sandy Boucher

“Unlike the Christian and Jewish traditions, Buddhism does not acknowledge the existence of a creator god or require obeisance to that god. The Buddha himself was a human being. When I began to meditate, this was very encouraging to me, for if the Buddha was a person and able to attain enlightenment or liberation, then it was possible that I too could, through my own efforts, experience an enlightened state of mind.

When people bow to the Buddha statue that sits on the altar in the meditation hall, they are acknowledging the potential for enlightened mind that exists in each of us.

The Buddha himself urged his followers not to simply accept his ideas but to investigate their own experience and believe only that which they themselves could verify through meditation and study. So the Buddha way is not a path of received truths but a path of investigation of the human condition through one’s own experience of it.”
Inspired Wordsmith
Sunltcloud
0 Kudos

In Dharma practice it is necessary to always keep an attitude of love toward others, for this is the basis of Bodhicitta. Love is a simple practice, yet it is very beneficial for the individual who practices it as well as for the community in which he lives, for the nation and for the whole world. Love and kindness are always appropriate. Whether or not you believe in rebirth, you will need love in this life. If we have love, there is hope to have real families, real brotherhood, real equanimity, real peace. If the mind of love is lost, if you continue to see other beings as enemies, then no matter how much knowledge or education you have, no matter how much material progress is made, only suffering and confusion will ensue. Beings will continue to deceive and overpower one another. Basically, everyone exists in the very nature of suffering, so to abuse or mistreat each other is futile. The foundation of all spiritual practice is love. That you practice, this well is my only request. Of course, to be able to do so in all situations will take time, but you should not lose courage. If we wish happiness for mankind, it is the only way.

(This is an excerpt from an interview with His Holiness the Fourteenth Dalai Lama, taken from the archives of the "Foundation for the Preservation of Mahayana Tradition.)
Inspired Wordsmith
Sunltcloud
0 Kudos

"Over time a pot will fill up from just a dripping tap. Similarly, over time bad actions will fill you with great suffering."

From "The Dhammapada" chapter 9, verse 121
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 14 members 343 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: