Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Time

Siddhartha says he learns a secret from the river--that time does not exist (85). What do you think this means?
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Inspired Wordsmith
Sunltcloud
0 Kudos

Re: Time

ConnieK wrote:
Siddhartha says he learns a secret from the river--that time does not exist (85). What do you think this means?

OM. Time is not linear. Time is circular. And if time is circular it is everywhere. Something we see as new already existed long before we see it. Something old is new by coming in front of our eyes for the first time. This must be the basic difference between Western and Eastern thought.
Frequent Contributor
tgem
0 Kudos

Buddhism often uses water as teaching example. For instance, it is said that waves are seen separate from the water, but they are part of the water. Perhaps the wave could be seen as the moment, but it is part of all the water, which is time. The part does not exist separately from the whole. If I really knew the answer to this question, I could probably time travel. Jeanne
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

I'm reminded of the saying, "When you put your hand into a flowing stream, you touch the last of what has gone before and the first of what is yet to come." You seem to be saying that it's all there at once, though, as in not a continuum?

~ConnieK
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Inspired Wordsmith
Sunltcloud
0 Kudos

ConnieK, here is how I look at the “all at once” phenomenon of the river, something I made up this afternoon when I walked under a cloudy sky, next to a creek, rain hitting my face:

Assume the river is a photographer. In the mountains the river takes pictures of a small birch tree, a bird, a squirrel. Later, as the river flows through the city there are pictures of a blue house, a white car, a black cat. When it reaches the ocean it photographs a shark, a boat, a sunset. All these pictures rise with the moisture and become parts of clouds and the clouds take more pictures (with a telephoto lens.) When it rains all the pictures fall out of the clouds back into the river. I stand there, at the riverbank, and if I pay attention I can see it all – the birch tree, the bird, the squirrel, the blue house, the white car, the black cat, the shark, the boat, the sunset, a dimly lit night sky with tiny stars, a photo that shows part of a Bamiyan Buddha Statue in the Hindu Kush of Afghanistan, a shaky shot of me at the riverbank. Ooops, wait, I think I am real, this is my mirror image in the water. I’m looking for enlightenment, but suddenly I realize that I can only find it when I am not looking for it. I think that is called serendipity.
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Thank you, Sunltcloud! I'm eager to hear what the students expected on the boards soon think of your comparison of the river to a photographer.

~ConnieK

Sunltcloud wrote:
ConnieK, here is how I look at the “all at once” phenomenon of the river, something I made up this afternoon when I walked under a cloudy sky, next to a creek, rain hitting my face:

Assume the river is a photographer. In the mountains the river takes pictures of a small birch tree, a bird, a squirrel. Later, as the river flows through the city there are pictures of a blue house, a white car, a black cat. When it reaches the ocean it photographs a shark, a boat, a sunset. All these pictures rise with the moisture and become parts of clouds and the clouds take more pictures (with a telephoto lens.) When it rains all the pictures fall out of the clouds back into the river. I stand there, at the riverbank, and if I pay attention I can see it all – the birch tree, the bird, the squirrel, the blue house, the white car, the black cat, the shark, the boat, the sunset, a dimly lit night sky with tiny stars, a photo that shows part of a Bamiyan Buddha Statue in the Hindu Kush of Afghanistan, a shaky shot of me at the riverbank. Ooops, wait, I think I am real, this is my mirror image in the water. I’m looking for enlightenment, but suddenly I realize that I can only find it when I am not looking for it. I think that is called serendipity.

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Frequent Contributor
tgem
0 Kudos

ConnieK wrote:
I'm reminded of the saying, "When you put your hand into a flowing stream, you touch the last of what has gone before and the first of what is yet to come." You seem to be saying that it's all there at once, though, as in not a continuum?

~ConnieK

ConnieK: I wasn't ignoring your question, just thinking. I couldn't really express myself other than my previous thought. Then I came across something in the article written by Dainin Katagiri Roshi, "Being in Real Time," published in the Fall 2007 edition of Buddhadharma The Practitioner's Quarterly: "According to Buddhist teaching, everything exists together simultaneously in a moment...Time seems separate from beings, but actually there is no separation. From moment to moment, all sentient beings exist together as a completely independent moment of time. When the moment begins, all sentient beings temporarily appear as particular beings, in the stream of time. When the moment ceases, all sentient beings disappear, but do not go away; they are interconnected smoothly and quietly in timelessness." (p28) Hmm...Just more food for thought. tgem
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Thanks, tgem--Indeed, more food for thought...

~ConnieK

tgem wrote:

ConnieK wrote:

~ConnieK

ConnieK: I wasn't ignoring your question, just thinking. I couldn't really express myself other than my previous thought. Then I came across something in the article written by Dainin Katagiri Roshi, "Being in Real Time," published in the Fall 2007 edition of Buddhadharma The Practitioner's Quarterly: "According to Buddhist teaching, everything exists together simultaneously in a moment...Time seems separate from beings, but actually there is no separation. From moment to moment, all sentient beings exist together as a completely independent moment of time. When the moment begins, all sentient beings temporarily appear as particular beings, in the stream of time. When the moment ceases, all sentient beings disappear, but do not go away; they are interconnected smoothly and quietly in timelessness." (p28) Hmm...Just more food for thought. tgem

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 49 members 285 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: