Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

B&N Bookseller
Brad_W
0 Kudos

Bringing Technology Into Real Life

After working in technology retail several years, I have seen a lot of the "gadgets" and technology "grow up". In addition to that, I had a father who was a programmer/consultant dating back to the 70's. It is extremely interesting to look back on the growth and what was considered simply interesting has now come to fruition in usability. I firmly believe that we have gotten to the point where the technologies have finally "blended" and impact efficiencies and business services (in some ways) beyond belief.

What amazes me though is how so many (especially in the business world) shy away from technology. I still see alot of things done on paper which blows me away. In my recent position I spent over a year filling out a large paper form for daily sales figures. I finally said enough is enough and placed the whole thing on a spreadsheet for the entire year. My boss was blown away and extremely pleased with the amount of time this was saving in addition to the increased accuracy of calculations. In addition to that, my wife is in Real Estate and I assist her with administrative tasks. One of the most cumbersom tasks in that industry is document retention and exchange. Anyone who has ever purchased property knows you can end up with a "war and peace" sized file. Her state has a system that digitizes all of this and even allows professionals to grant customers a log in to their transaction. It's a great system that I took the time to learn on my own and have used it on several occassions. Customers are amazed and find it very useful. Here's the kicker, I find maybe 1 in 20 actually use the system. They flat out tell ou they don't use it and ask to have things mailed (not even emailed) or faxed.

When it comes to technology in business I firmly believe this is where the "80/20 Principle" comes into play. Taking the time to learn how to use the technologies such as email, the internet, so forth and so on takes time but the return later on is huge.

Just some thoughts.

Brad
With purpose and on purpose
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 531 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: