Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. On May 1, we’re saying goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
tcannon7721
0 Kudos

Computer problem

My computer boots up, goes on the windows loading screen and then stops and goes to this screen:
"We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this.

If your computer stopped responding, restarted unexpectedly, or was automatically shut down to protect your files and folders, choose Last Known Good Configuration to revert to the most recent settings that worked.

If a previous startup attempt was interrupted due to a power failure or because the Power or Reset button was pressed, or if you aren't sure what cased the problem, choose Start Windows Normally.

Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with Command Prompt

Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked)

Start Windows Normally

Use the up and down arrow keys to move the highlight to your choice.
"

I reformatted HD and took battery out to reset and still come to this screen when I click start windows normally I am left with a gray screen that doesnt go any futher.
I am using windows XP home edition. What is causing this problem? How do I correct it? Could it be a HD issue?
Frequent Contributor
caroline88
0 Kudos

Re: Computer problem

Have you tried starting the computer in the Safe mode? or Last known good configuration?

It does not seem that trying again would be much help. Can you install Windows again? Or maybe start the computer with a boot CD?

Caroline
Belief in your mission, greet life with a cheer
There's big work to do, and that's why you are here
~ Caroline
New User
tcannon7721
0 Kudos

No I have not tried those options but I did try to reformat using CD's and thought things were going good until it finished it went right back to that error screen again.
I will try safe mode and last known good configuration and see if that will work. I sure hope so, this computer has been down for 2 years and I'm trying to get it back up and running for a friend.
New User
gmarufu
0 Kudos

You have not said what happens if you choose any of the options to start your computer. If however you have chosen one or more of the options and still your computer gave you the same grey screen, more likely you have what they call Blue Screen of Death (never mind the colour of yours). check out the following url & you might have your problem sorted out:

http://webcast.broadcastnewsroom.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp?id=8658-2

WHen you are through can you post whatever result have as it may help others as well.

goodluck

gm
B&N Bookseller
Brad_W
0 Kudos

I recommend backing everything up (if you can) that you need, and having the memory checked. RAM that is going bad can cause all kinds of headaches.

Brad
With purpose and on purpose
Users Online
Currently online:47 members 515 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: