Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
AdrianKH
0 Kudos

Laptop or Desktop?

What kind of system do you use - is it a laptop or a desktop system? If you have both, which do you prefer?

I prefer my desktop system - it's faster, a lot more powerful and the peripherals (especially the mouse and keyboard) are a lot easier to use!

Share your thoughts!
Adrian
Barnes and Noble Book Club Moderator
Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
0 Kudos

Re: Laptop or Desktop?

AdrianKH wrote:
What kind of system do you use - is it a laptop or a desktop system? If you have both, which do you prefer?

I prefer my desktop system - it's faster, a lot more powerful and the peripherals (especially the mouse and keyboard) are a lot easier to use!

Share your thoughts!

I prefer a laptop. It takes up a lot less room and I use it more than my desktop. I just got a full keyboard, 17" screen laptop that will give me everything that my desktop gives me and it is wireless and very portable, though my laptop usually stays put since I don't travel with it. This solves the major problems I had with a laptop and that was the smaller keyboard (which I tended to make more typing errors on) and the lack of a separate numeric pad. The only thing I dislike about the laptop is the mouse allowance area which makes it a bit harder to reach the keyboard. I compensate by having my keyboard low and tilted. I use a wireless mouse.
New User
Anchutka
0 Kudos

I prefer both. Sometimes it is nice to lock myself in the computer room (we keep it cold, so it is better in summer), but sometimes I want to spend time in a chair or in the bed with the laptop. Mine is pretty fast.
B&N Bookseller
Brad_W
0 Kudos

I like the portability of laptops, but really only like doing common types of things on the laptop. When it comes to graphics or video work I much prefer the desktop.

Brad
With purpose and on purpose
Contributor
macintard
0 Kudos

I like to keep it mobile. I've got an iBook G4 1.33GHz w/ 1.5GB RAM and a 100GB hdd. It only has a combo drive but through certain outfits you can upgrade a 12" iBook combo drive to a Super Drive (DVD Burner).

I like being able to move around with my info still with me. I use my desktop for gaming and to let family members use it and for my mom to use Skype to call relatives.

I like being able to run off a battery, and be able to surf at coffee shops & bookstores like B&N. It's just too bad B&N charges for it's WiFi, but most bookstores do. Only a few places like Hastings, Grounds for Coffee, and Burger King offer free wifi locally. Oh, and my University does too.

Anyhow - with the power these laptops are packing these days, there seems to be less reason to buy a desktop other than for more storage and bigger muscles for games. Even then, laptops have nVidia 8600GT video cards with up to 256MB vram so some laptops can even play UT3 and Call of Duty 4.

Another thing about laptops, say you're in a natural disaster - with a laptop you can probably find time to grab it. Say, if there's a fire like in San Diego, and AT&T provides free WiFi. You can keep in contact with friends/relatives and keep updated and even contact insurance companies, etc.
Users Online
Currently online: 45 members 246 guests
Recent signins:
Please welcome our newest community members: