Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
AdrianKH
0 Kudos

Linux

I'm interested in knowing how many of you out there are using Linux? If you do, what distro are you using and what made you go to Linux?

Adrian
Adrian
Barnes and Noble Book Club Moderator
Frequent Contributor
caroline88
0 Kudos

Re: Linux

Adrian,

No linux for me, yet. I am wondering if there is a safe way to install it alongside Windows XP Home edition?

How long does it take to learn how to work it? Maybe I should put "time to read your Dummies book" on my list for Santa :smileysurprised:)
Belief in your mission, greet life with a cheer
There's big work to do, and that's why you are here
~ Caroline
Frequent Contributor
AdrianKH
0 Kudos

What you can do with Linux if you want to play with it is to download a "Live" CD for a particular distro (distribution) and burn that onto a CD. You can then boot up off the CD and play with Linux without messing with your system.

I'll post a few links tomorrow if you want!
Adrian
Frequent Contributor
caroline88
0 Kudos

I would be interested, Adrian! If I understand you correctly, by working off that CD, I can play as if I am in a Linux environment without installing it as an OS on my laptop? So many people who are enthusiastic about it, it must be good for something :smileywink:
~ Caroline
Frequent Contributor
AdrianKH
0 Kudos

caroline88 wrote:
I would be interested, Adrian! If I understand you correctly, by working off that CD, I can play as if I am in a Linux environment without installing it as an OS on my laptop? So many people who are enthusiastic about it, it must be good for something :smileywink:

Yep, you work off a CD ... a great way to try it out!
Adrian
Frequent Contributor
AdrianKH
0 Kudos

Massive list of Linux "Live" CDs

Here, as promised, is a list of Linux "Live" discs that you can burn onto a CD and boot off of without installing.

http://www.frozentech.com/content/livecd.php

The list is huge, but I suggest you take a look at Ubuntu - that's pretty neat! Here's a galley of Ubuntu images:

http://content.zdnet.com/2346-12554_22-38830.html

Enjoy!
Adrian
Contributor
macintard
0 Kudos

Re: Massive list of Linux "Live" CDs

I use Kubuntu Linux. You can dual boot Linux with Windows and they should co-exist happily though Windows has been know to take over the the master boot record. There are distros out there like Mandriva and OpenSuSe that will automatically resize and partition your hard drive so that Linux can co-exist with windows. I think Fedora does the same thing, but it's been a while since I've used it.

Currently, my OS of choice is Mac OS X Tiger. I'm going to buy Leopard when it comes out. The nice thing about OS X, things are pretty easy to get working, but it's still Unix underneath it all.
Frequent Contributor
caroline88
0 Kudos

Welcome to the board, Macintard!

Now that I have finally got internet at home working. (That was a parting gift from God in the old year, He also gave me 5 pounds but I returned that gift LOL)
I click on the Massive list link to go burn a CD but it says next to Ubuntu "Desktop, OS replacement". I guess I am supposed to click on the first link?

Not that windows xp home makes me ecstatic but I have a few programs installed that I think won't be running under linux yet.

Adrian, also thanks for the pictures. Good thing to see that backup warning before I start :smileywink:

Caroline
~ Caroline
Frequent Contributor
AdrianKH
0 Kudos

macintard wrote:
I use Kubuntu Linux. You can dual boot Linux with Windows and they should co-exist happily though Windows has been know to take over the the master boot record. There are distros out there like Mandriva and OpenSuSe that will automatically resize and partition your hard drive so that Linux can co-exist with windows. I think Fedora does the same thing, but it's been a while since I've used it.

Currently, my OS of choice is Mac OS X Tiger. I'm going to buy Leopard when it comes out. The nice thing about OS X, things are pretty easy to get working, but it's still Unix underneath it all.

What do you see as the main differences between Ubuntu and Kubuntu?
Adrian
Frequent Contributor
AdrianKH
0 Kudos

caroline88 wrote:
Not that windows xp home makes me ecstatic but I have a few programs installed that I think won't be running under linux yet.
Caroline

Yeah, that's what keeps people on Windows.
Adrian
Contributor
macintard
0 Kudos

AdrianKH wrote:

macintard wrote:

The main difference is that Kubuntu uses KDE as the desktop interface, and Ubuntu uses Gnome by default. However, with either version, you can install more desktop interfaces and use whatever you want.

Joe
Frequent Contributor
AdrianKH
0 Kudos

macintard wrote:

AdrianKH wrote:

macintard wrote:

The main difference is that Kubuntu uses KDE as the desktop interface, and Ubuntu uses Gnome by default. However, with either version, you can install more desktop interfaces and use whatever you want.

Joe

I quite like Ubuntu to be honest - though I work mainly with Windows for obvious reasons. This year I'll be taking a number of Linux distros for a spin!
Adrian
Contributor
macintard
0 Kudos

AdrianKH:
You will probably like Linux. Unix is more flexible and more stable/secure than Windows. My linux friends tell me that linux is even more secure than my Mac OS X. I like OS X and it's secure enough for me since it's based on DarwinBSD. The BSDs like FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD and others, have been around longer than linux and are said to be more stable and secure than even linux. However, linux is used a bit more sometimes, plus it's better supported than the BSDs even though it's younger. However, something else you might want to check out is FreeBSD which not only makes a good server, but a nice desktop as well. Just don't ask me how to install it because I can't seem it get it right and I've tried a few times. Linux is easier to install than the BSDs it seems, unless you get something like PC-BSD which is meant for beginners and experts alike.

Joe
Contributor
macintard
0 Kudos

If you want to try a BSD, try DesktopBSD, which is easy to install and maintain. I've got it running in a Virtual environment on my Mac, using iEmulator.

How did your Linux wanderings turn out?
Contributor
Mikedsokc
0 Kudos

I use Ubuntu only and will not go back to windows. I would love to see a BN Linux ereader.

Contributor
Onestar
0 Kudos

I use Ubuntu, and would love to see an ebook reader from B&N for the *nix platform!

I would be more likely to use the digital service if there was a client for Ubuntu.

Contributor
Onestar
0 Kudos

The LiveCD is a great way of seeing if you'd like to try a Linux OS.

If you've tried Ubuntu, and liked it, you can download a program called Wubi.

Wubi is a Windows-based installer for the latest distro of Ubuntu.  It's simple and very easy to use, but you need to have a fast internet connection (since you're downloading the latest version of the OS, and it's usually pretty big.

New User
TKS1125
0 Kudos

I have been using SUSE Linux for over 10 years, i have never had a virus or anything harmful happen

i can do more with linux than with windows and i even run my proprietary software on linux. i have lightscribe i play dvd's audio cds and can burn putting images directly onto the media itself.

linux will become the mainstream someday i reccomend trying a live cd so you can experiment first. if you have any questions just post and i will help if needed.

i chose suse for the stability and the hardware support  HAVE A LOT OF FUN!

Users Online
Currently online: 44 members 644 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: