Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
AdrianKH
0 Kudos

Playing games

Playing games is a popular pasttime - but I find it interesting to find out whether people like to game on a PC or on a games colsole (like the PlayStation or the Xbox).

Personally, I like playing games on a PC but I can see the appeal of a games console - there's no worries about compatibility and upgrades and crashes.

What's your preferred gaming platform? Why?
Adrian
Barnes and Noble Book Club Moderator
Contributor
NinjaPirate
0 Kudos

Re: Playing games

I prefer PC games. There are so many ways to enhance your game play. You can upgrade parts of your computer, download modifications for the game's interface (and if you're familiar with the code and have the time even program your own), and if the game requires online play you don't have to buy all this special equipment for it since most computers now are already connected to the internet.

With console gaming you rely a lot on the technology that the company is willing to put into it's machines. However, since it's dedicated solely to gaming you can play a wider array of games without having to worry about memory issues. You also don't have to worry about your anti virus program popping up in the middle of your game and lagging you to death.

I am part of the millions that subscribe to one multi-player online game. Since gaming companies have the ability to hot fix issues and patch in new content it keeps the game play fresh until they roll out an expansion. It's nice because when I played console games it would be a disappointment to wait a year for a sequel to come out just for it to be a repackaged game with a few new gimmicks and a different name. The worst was sports games I felt. Every year it would be the same game with one new gimmick and updated rosters.
¯\(°_o)/¯
Frequent Contributor
AdrianKH
0 Kudos

NinjaPirate wrote:
I prefer PC games. There are so many ways to enhance your game play. You can upgrade parts of your computer, download modifications for the game's interface (and if you're familiar with the code and have the time even program your own), and if the game requires online play you don't have to buy all this special equipment for it since most computers now are already connected to the internet.

With console gaming you rely a lot on the technology that the company is willing to put into it's machines. However, since it's dedicated solely to gaming you can play a wider array of games without having to worry about memory issues. You also don't have to worry about your anti virus program popping up in the middle of your game and lagging you to death.

I am part of the millions that subscribe to one multi-player online game. Since gaming companies have the ability to hot fix issues and patch in new content it keeps the game play fresh until they roll out an expansion. It's nice because when I played console games it would be a disappointment to wait a year for a sequel to come out just for it to be a repackaged game with a few new gimmicks and a different name. The worst was sports games I felt. Every year it would be the same game with one new gimmick and updated rosters.

You make some good points for PCs. I have to agree with you, it's the versatility of the PC that makes it such a good gaming platform. Also, when you look at the price of the PS3, a PC, even a powerful one, seems cheap.
Adrian
Contributor
NinjaPirate
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Another aspect I like about some of the off line PC games is the ability to edit the game play. I'm not a game programming whiz but I could easily find files for my Civilization III game to put in certain folders to alter some of the mechanics or graphics. Yeah, I'm a computer game script kitty.

One of the guys that I play online with has even done a Warcraft 3 map for his level design portfolio. You can download it and play it and it has all of it's own unique features.

You can write programs for online games but they usually ban people for using third party programs or anything that actually changes how you play the game. If you read the End User License Agreement it actually says that they have the right to peek into your RAM.

But I digress.

Yeah the price of the next gen consoles are getting ridiculous compared to the price of your average computer now.

As a matter of fact I think after all the rebates, the computer my wife uses now actually only costs 100 dollars more than the PS3. It may have only 258 megabytes of RAM and no floppy disk drive, but for her purposes it gets the job done.

Message Edited by NinjaPirate on 02-09-200707:23 PM

¯\(°_o)/¯
Frequent Contributor
AdrianKH
0 Kudos

What is pushing up the price of the PS3 is that Sony want it to be a media center hub rather than a games console.
Adrian
Frequent Contributor
Bulova
0 Kudos

What do you think about the PSP?
Frequent Contributor
AdrianKH
0 Kudos

Bulova wrote:
What do you think about the PSP?

I think that the PSP is a great platform. It has huge potential that's not yet fully realized. I can see a future version being a serious bit of kit, especially looking at the PS3.
Adrian
B&N Bookseller
Brad_W
0 Kudos

I play games a bit, but am not a big fan of the game console games. I like PC games. I guess I want everything in one spot. My daughter has a PS2, but I never found too much I enjoy on it.

Brad
With purpose and on purpose
Users Online
Currently online: 16 members 809 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: