Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
caroline88
0 Kudos

Harddrive 3.5" IDE

While I was looking for the router, I also found a case for external harddrive. The plan is, to take the harddrive out of the currently not working desktop and attach it to the USB of my laptop. USB 2.0, that is what I have. But how do I know what harddrive it is? I cannot boot the PC or look at system settings or anything. The harddrive is 5-6 years old.
(I know that most of the software won't be running because it is a different PC and a different operating system but I hope I can copy a few tools and I know that I have not copied all data on that drive yet.

And while we are talking harddrives. How do I know which one is the master and which one is the slave? Because there are two harddrives in the desktop.

The thingie was cheap, and I would be willing to take the risk of it not working. But I do not want to run the risk of damaging that harddrive.

Thanks for any insights.
Caroline
Belief in your mission, greet life with a cheer
There's big work to do, and that's why you are here
~ Caroline
Frequent Contributor
AdrianKH
0 Kudos

Re: Router installation

caroline88 wrote:
Edit: I have found some more information on the installation CD but now it gives me 2 choices: for an uninstalled router choose A (after a reset) or choose B if you had it configured already. I did not do a reset but I did not complete the configuration either. It does not tell me how to reset the router. It does have a hole with a red circle round it "Restore Factory Settings". If I disconnect all cables, and I press that with a paperclip, would that be the "reset"? or would it need to have power on to do a reset?

Oh well. At least I had my reality check about knowledge on installation procedures :smileyhappy: (end of Edit)

Hi Adrian,

Did not expect to see you online at this hour. I am currently trying to install my Netgear router WNR834B but it is asking for the Server IP address. Is this the DNS name server address?
I checked my ISP helpdesk pages but they give 3 IP addresses for the DNS and the form on the installation procedure asks only for one. (Actually it asks for four but it only gives an error message on #4 which is the Server IP address - I did not try to give any IP addresses because that is usually dynamic and I let the computer look it up because I don't know what to put there).

http://kbserver.netgear.com requires Flash 7 which of course is not installed yet and the download list does not give the WNR productname.

I am happy because during the setup procedure, at least it got the ADSL connection .. connected. (IT'S A MIRACLE!!!!)

Caroline

Message Edited by caroline88 on 12-29-200608:57 PM

Sounds to me like it needs a factory reset - but you do need the router to be powered to do this. Somethimes they get confused and need the memory wiping before things work again.
Adrian
Barnes and Noble Book Club Moderator
Frequent Contributor
AdrianKH
0 Kudos

Re: Harddrive 3.5" IDE

caroline88 wrote:
While I was looking for the router, I also found a case for external harddrive. The plan is, to take the harddrive out of the currently not working desktop and attach it to the USB of my laptop. USB 2.0, that is what I have. But how do I know what harddrive it is? I cannot boot the PC or look at system settings or anything. The harddrive is 5-6 years old.
(I know that most of the software won't be running because it is a different PC and a different operating system but I hope I can copy a few tools and I know that I have not copied all data on that drive yet.

And while we are talking harddrives. How do I know which one is the master and which one is the slave? Because there are two harddrives in the desktop.

The thingie was cheap, and I would be willing to take the risk of it not working. But I do not want to run the risk of damaging that harddrive.

Thanks for any insights.
Caroline

Usually hard drives have a label on them showing jumper configurations for master, slave and cable select (a jumper is a small bridge that joins two contacts on the edge together). Otherwise, what you can do is pull one drive out, plug it into the hard drive enclosure and see what's on it.

What drives are they? Who made them? It should say on the labels. If you can tell me, I can give you more info.
Adrian
Barnes and Noble Book Club Moderator
Frequent Contributor
caroline88
0 Kudos

Re: Router installation

Adrian,

Happy New Year!

I have made some progress, found a specific pdf for my modem which is a Speedtouch. Apparently, I have a unique talent for buying appliances that fall in the "except for these models" category. It told me to do ipconfig release en renew to change the settings in the modem, which I did. Then go through the installation procedure for the router.

It said to uncheck the "Use router as DHCP server" box which I did. Then it told me to change the Starting and Ending IP address but these two adresses were greyed out as soon as I unchecked the box. It also told me to install it without security - which made me uncomfortable with 8 wireless network in the area, all of them secured but mine? But I thought, let's just jump through their hoops and change it after successful installation.
Then turn it all off, and turn it on again in the proper order (modem, router, PC). Now everything should be working perfectly.

EXCEPT... my modem can only be turned on by pressing the reset button. Which resets the IP addresses so there is no communication. And in this setup - if it were working - the laptop would still be connected to the router by cable.

The good news, it is still working over the ADSL connection, with only laptop and modem. Though connection is awfully slow. Temporary Internet Files 1788 MB.

One of these days I will try again but leave the modem on. Though I am not looking forward of leaving a modem on 24-7. And if I run into problems again, I will call the support desk. Why am I always trying these things during holiday weekends? LAM

Caroline
~ Caroline
Frequent Contributor
caroline88
0 Kudos

Stand-by or Hibernate?

Adrian,

I am trying to get used to Windows XP and yesterday I came into the room, just in time from the laptop going into hibernation. I have successfully adjusted the power saving settings. I am all for power saving but this H thing takes such a long time to wake up again.

Can you please explain what the difference is between stand-by and hibernate?

Thank you again for your help,
Caroline
~ Caroline
Users Online
Currently online: 67 members 685 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: