BN Editor
BookClubEditor
0 Kudos

Questions for Adrian Kingsley-Hughes

[ Edited ]
Do you have a question for Adrian? Reply to this message to start the conversation.

Message Edited by BookClubEditor on 12-26-2006 02:09 PM

Contributor
bob2k
0 Kudos

Re: Questions for the Author

what operating system do you use, and what are the top five in your view???
Frequent Contributor
AdrianKH
0 Kudos

Hi there!

I use Windows Vista (the latest beta) and I find it both fast and stable. There are still a few rough edges but on the whole I'm happy with it.

My top 5 operating systems would be

1 - Vista
2 - XP (Pro)
3 - Ubuntu (nice Linux distro)
4 - Windows 2000
5 - Windows NT4 (Why? Because I had a machine that run for 4 years without a reinstall and I thinkt hat it only every crashed like twice. That was a great OS!)

Adrian
Adrian
Barnes and Noble Book Club Moderator
Contributor
bob2k
0 Kudos

I heard good and bad notes on Vista. Was Internet Explorer 7 release to associate better with Vista???
Frequent Contributor
AdrianKH
0 Kudos

Yes. the advantage of IE7 under Vista is that it runs in what's known as "Protected Mode" - this means that the browser has limited access to the operating system so bugs, viruses and malware can't get access to files and settings it needs to cause havoc!

Adrian
Adrian
Contributor
raina
0 Kudos

Re: IE 7

Adrian, I have a Laptop with Microsoft Windows XP Professional as the op system. I had been getting some error message while closing down Yahoomail for quite some time. The report was something about "add-ons". On sending them info, they directed me to download IE7, yesterday. So, I have downloaded it. I hope I have done the right thing .
Anything else I should take care of ?
Frequent Contributor
AdrianKH
0 Kudos

Re: IE 7

Has that fixed the problem for you? If so, great!
Adrian
Contributor
raina
0 Kudos

Re: IE 7 #2

AdrianKH wrote:
Has that fixed the problem for you? If so, great!

Adrian,
Is only today I completed the upload. I have yet to find out.
But do tell me if I should take care of anything else? IS IE7 ok?
Frequent Contributor
AdrianKH
0 Kudos

Yes, IE7 is great - I've been running it for months and find it to be very good indeed.
Adrian
Frequent Contributor
ScubaDude33
0 Kudos

I heard that you have to be careful though cuz some apps havent been tested on IE7 and so might or might not work right.

-J
Contributor
bob2k
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

ScubaDude33 wrote:
I heard that you have to be careful though cuz some apps havent been tested on IE7 and so might or might not work right.

Which ones if you know (meaning apps, etc), and if you have it downloaded, how has it been working for you???

Message Edited by bob2k on 11-12-200602:52 PM

Frequent Contributor
AdrianKH
0 Kudos

Depends - most things work well but there are a few rough edges still. If you use the Google Toolbar there's a bug where Open in New Tab doesn't show up.
Adrian
Frequent Contributor
Bulova
0 Kudos

Hi Adrian, I'm planning to exchange my rather slow notebook against a newer computer and would be interested in learning as to how I can transfer my datas onto the new PC.
Would an investment in a PC be preferable to the buying of a laptop as to processing speed, graphic display and other features?

Thanks in advance, Caroline
Frequent Contributor
caroline88
0 Kudos

Caroline aka Bulova,

A PC desktop is likely to be cheaper and it will also be much easier to upgrade than a laptop.
Another thing which I like better is the greater flexibility because you buy the components separately. You can choose the more advanced or lesser advanced as you need them. For instance, if you do a lot of digital imagery, you are likely to want to have a better screen than if you only use your computer for text documents.

Caroline
Belief in your mission, greet life with a cheer
There's big work to do, and that's why you are here
~ Caroline
Frequent Contributor
AdrianKH
0 Kudos

Hi there!

Caroline s spot on - a desktop is going to be cheapter than a laptop PC since you are paying for the ability to be portable. Desktop PCs are also easier to upgrade and allow you more flexibility when it comes to components such as graphics cards.
Adrian
Frequent Contributor
Bulova
0 Kudos

Re: Questions for the Author / Upgrades

Hi Caroline, I will certainly have to show patience and analyze my needs in accordance with the amount I can spend on a better PC, not to rush, but set priorities. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Caroline
Frequent Contributor
caroline88
0 Kudos

Re: Questions for the Author / Upgrades

Hi Caroline,

My pleasure. In this market, we users need to support each other. I bought a laptop a while back, it was a killer offer and it is a good machine. But the router that came with it is not working and I haven't been able to go online with it.
So I have a really useful tool for taking notes while watching training programs (DVDs or Open University) on TV. I do not regret the purchase because it is a wonderful laptop but without a working modem connection its usefulness is extremely limited.

While you have the luxury of time on your side, get informed. Make a list of what you want, then it is time to start treasure hunting for the right offer.

Good luck!
Caroline
~ Caroline
Frequent Contributor
Bulova
0 Kudos

Re: Desktop vs laptop

Hi, I've been able to set priorities and would like to thank for the help in this matter. One of my next topics I'm interested in will be VISTA but I need to do some reading about this first. Caroline

Caroline s spot on - a desktop is going to be cheapter than a laptop PC since you are paying for the ability to be portable. Desktop PCs are also easier to upgrade and allow you more flexibility when it comes to components such as graphics cards
Frequent Contributor
AdrianKH
0 Kudos

Re: Desktop vs laptop

Bulova wrote:
Hi, I've been able to set priorities and would like to thank for the help in this matter. One of my next topics I'm interested in will be VISTA but I need to do some reading about this first. Caroline

Caroline s spot on - a desktop is going to be cheapter than a laptop PC since you are paying for the ability to be portable. Desktop PCs are also easier to upgrade and allow you more flexibility when it comes to components such as graphics cards

Another advantage of a desktop is that they are easier to upgrade and repair and have far fewer custom drivers to give headaches. That said, nower notebooks are pretty trouble-free.
Adrian
Frequent Contributor
caroline88
0 Kudos

Router installation

[ Edited ]
Edit: I have found some more information on the installation CD but now it gives me 2 choices: for an uninstalled router choose A (after a reset) or choose B if you had it configured already. I did not do a reset but I did not complete the configuration either. It does not tell me how to reset the router. It does have a hole with a red circle round it "Restore Factory Settings". If I disconnect all cables, and I press that with a paperclip, would that be the "reset"? or would it need to have power on to do a reset?

Oh well. At least I had my reality check about knowledge on installation procedures :smileyhappy: (end of Edit)

Hi Adrian,

Did not expect to see you online at this hour. I am currently trying to install my Netgear router WNR834B but it is asking for the Server IP address. Is this the DNS name server address?
I checked my ISP helpdesk pages but they give 3 IP addresses for the DNS and the form on the installation procedure asks only for one. (Actually it asks for four but it only gives an error message on #4 which is the Server IP address - I did not try to give any IP addresses because that is usually dynamic and I let the computer look it up because I don't know what to put there).

http://kbserver.netgear.com requires Flash 7 which of course is not installed yet and the download list does not give the WNR productname.

I am happy because during the setup procedure, at least it got the ADSL connection .. connected. (IT'S A MIRACLE!!!!)

Caroline

Message Edited by caroline88 on 12-29-200608:57 PM

~ Caroline
Users Online
Currently online:9 members 288 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: