Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
AdrianKH
0 Kudos

Who here is planning on upgrading to Windows Vista?

Windows Vista will be released January 30th - how soon will you be upgrading?
Adrian
Barnes and Noble Book Club Moderator
Frequent Contributor
caroline88
0 Kudos

Re: Who here is planning on upgrading to Windows Vista?

Adrian,

A couple of points. I assume it is going to cost to upgrade and my budget is allocated elsewhere. I have not even learned Windows Home XP yet (only have this baby working for a few months!) and my experience with all new software releases in the past (OS and otherwise) is that they
- come with a whole bunch of whistles that I never wanted
- as a result, put a huge demand on more resources and only slows things down.

Which reminds me I have not yet figured out how to disable the windows firewall, I don't think I need two firewalls and the laptop is not the fastest computer I ever worked with.

Back to topic, I don't know what vista would be bringing and again, past experience would lead me to hold off on installing until at least 9 months of bug fixes have passed. And I do not feel too kindly to someone who is discontinuing service on other versions.

I have no plans of upgrading but might be forced to start using it one day if my desktop cannot be repaired.

Caroline
Belief in your mission, greet life with a cheer
There's big work to do, and that's why you are here
~ Caroline
Frequent Contributor
AdrianKH
0 Kudos

caroline88 wrote:
Adrian,

A couple of points. I assume it is going to cost to upgrade and my budget is allocated elsewhere. I have not even learned Windows Home XP yet (only have this baby working for a few months!) and my experience with all new software releases in the past (OS and otherwise) is that they

Which reminds me I have not yet figured out how to disable the windows firewall, I don't think I need two firewalls and the laptop is not the fastest computer I ever worked with.

Back to topic, I don't know what vista would be bringing and again, past experience would lead me to hold off on installing until at least 9 months of bug fixes have passed. And I do not feel too kindly to someone who is discontinuing service on other versions.

I have no plans of upgrading but might be forced to start using it one day if my desktop cannot be repaired.

Caroline

Here's how to disable the firewall in XP:

Click Start > Control Panel
Click Network and Internet Connections
Click Network Connections
Right-click on the internet connection you use and choose Properties
Click the Advanced tab
Click on the Settings button
Click Off (not recommended)
Click OK
Click OK
Adrian
Frequent Contributor
AdrianKH
0 Kudos

caroline88 wrote:
Adrian,

Caroline

Hey Caroline!

Want to see Windows Vista in action - I have a post here (http://www.pcdoctor-guide.com/wordpress/?p=3849) that'll show you how to see Windows Vista Business edition in action over the Internet - pretty cool!
Adrian
New User
amccullg
0 Kudos

I've got four computers, running OSs Win98, WinME, Win2000, and WinXP. I'm not a certified technician but I fully enjoy tinkering with the machines and am reasonably proficient at computer troubleshooting and repair. I'll probably upgrade ONE of these systems - most likely my laptop - out of curiousity and a desire to learn the new OS - but it's simply going to cost me far too much to do anything beyond that. The Windows Vista Readiness tool has already informed me that my printer and scanner are not supported (and they're relatively recent Epson models!) - there's far more costs involved in this upgrade than just buying the software.
Frequent Contributor
caroline88
0 Kudos

The test drive experience is currently available only to web visitors from the United States and Canada.

ALAS, no test drive in The Netherlands. Our internet reporter stated that Vista was not as safe as it claims to be because they are already working on a safety upgrade. Their advice was not to upgrade, when you buy a new pc some day vista will be on it.

I saw the first offer in print, and it was about a combination of Vista and Office. Can we only purchase the combination? That would be a very definite nono because I am unable to upgrade because I do not have an office copy on my laptop and my desktop cannot run vista. I could get a student licence but I am pretty sure that package won't have ms access so there would be no point in buying it.
Interesting to notice how microsoft marketing has managed yet again, to make it difficult to buy their products.

· The test drive is intended for evaluation purposes only.

· The test drive requires Internet Explorer 6 or later, a browser plug-in, and a broadband Internet connection. A minimum 1024 x 768 screen resolution is recommended.

· There is no product support for the test drive. You are welcome to participate in a Microsoft Windows Vista newsgroup to share your trial experiences with others and ask for advice. Find a Windows Vista Newsgroup.

· The Windows Vista version hosted in the test drive contains most of the functionality of the regular versions, but browsing the internet is not enabled.

· You may notice a slight delay or pause as you experience the product. This is due to the fact that this is a hosted trial and is dependent upon your bandwidth, local machine resources, etc. This does not necessarily represent the actual experience you will have with Windows Vista if it were installed on your PC.

© 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. Terms of Service |Privacy Statement This site hosted for Microsoft by Exsilio Consulting
Belief in your mission, greet life with a cheer
There's big work to do, and that's why you are here
~ Caroline
Frequent Contributor
AdrianKH
0 Kudos

caroline88 wrote:
The test drive experience is currently available only to web visitors from the United States and Canada.

Odd, I'm in the UK and it worked for me ... let me check it out.
Adrian
Users Online
Currently online: 53 members 782 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: