Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
la4bama
0 Kudos

1950's teen romance novels

Does anyone know of any good, known teen romance novels that are set in the 1950's such as the Beverly Clearly books "Fifteen", "Jean and Johnny", and "The Luckiest Girl". Also there is a story by Maureen Daly called "Seventeenth Summer" that is set in the 30's or the 40's. I love stories like these but I can never seem to find them.
Contributor
xxWannabeWriterxx
0 Kudos

Re: 1950's teen romance novels

If I'm correct, I remember Nicholas Sparks's A Walk to Remember being set in the 50's. It was romantic and made me cry. I really liked it. You should see the movie (with Mandy Moore and Shane West), too. It's one of my favorites.

xxWannabeWriterxx
- Shoot for the moon. The worst you can do is land on the stars.

- Better to write for yourself and have no public than to write for the public and have no self.

- Even if I let you down, this lullaby plays on. - from *This Lullaby* by Sarah Dessen
New User
juss
0 Kudos

the book "the notebook" by nicholas sparks was set around that time period. it was really good. totally different from the movie.

in fact i think a lot of nicholas sparks's books are set around that time period. i have only read the notebook, but my friend loves his works, and has read pretty much all his books. she says he is amazing =]
Contributor
rstwilight08
0 Kudos

You should read The Notebook. It was a really good book.
Frequent Contributor
HPlover7
0 Kudos

I might sound repetetive but the Notebook was great (i laughed and cried). but thats the only book i can remember. a walk to remember was exellent too.

Goonies never say die!

New User
Vanessa19
0 Kudos

I am also constantly on the search for these teen novels from the 50s but can never find them in the library.

My very favorite one is THE TENDER TIME by DENISE CASS BROOKMAN.  I had to find it on ebay to get another copy for my home library. 

Contributor
maxowner
0 Kudos

Try go Ask Alice, idk when it was set but it was either the 50s or 60s. btw it cool that you like oldish things nobody at my school gets it.

Correspondent
b00kwerm
0 Kudos

never read A Walk to Remember but i LOVE the movie. it was sooo sweet and it made me cry.

Inspired Scribe
Lexa555
0 Kudos

depending on how old you are you might wanna consider moving into historical romances in the adult fiction section or the adult romance section. HOWEVER adult romances usually have sex scenes so if you are not old enough then I would say wait several years and find a different type of book you like to read till then.

Pages of Forbidden Love
http://pages-of-forbidden-love.blogspot.com/
New User
Cherubini
0 Kudos

Hi.  You mean teenage romance novels from that era, like thoe by Rosamond du Jardin, Anne Emory, and Janet Lambert?  If so, I can certainly recommend some of these that i read long ago -- and again recently, with great enjoyment and some nostalgia... although in truth i was a toddler in the 1950s.  Still, they depict a kinder, gentler age, don't they?  

New User
MKateQuinn
0 Kudos

So intrigued by your post.  If you get a chance, please stop by my bloghttp://www.mkatequinn.blogspot.com  I've read most of the books you mention and Denise Cass Brookman's Tender Time is my all-time fave.  I'm a romance author and it was this book that made me decide that someday I would write about love. 

New User
Co9Da
0 Kudos

i know this is a little late, but i heard about this book named "Flipped" by wendelin van draanen. it's set in the 1950s and is a "he-said, she-said" kinda book. i just started reading it and i can never put it down :smileyhappy: haha but yeah, it finally got a movie deal. and if you have heard of it then good for you well just wanted to throw that out there.

New User
Desertislandia
0 Kudos

Original copies of novels for teens from 1950's and early 60's probably have been snapped up by baby boomer collectors (or readers who wish they'd grown up during that era!)  Because of lack of suppy to meet the demand, reprints of some are available from www.imagecascade.com  

Famous librarian Nancy Pearl (author of  "Booklust" series recommending books of many categories) is also a fan of  these vintage teen romance novels (sometimes called "Malt shops", as that is frequent setting.  Some of her fave author's are out of print, but she says she keeps suggesting them to Image Cascade.  Part of the problem may be finding the copyright holders, but perhaps some titles in demand might soon fall into public domain.

www.backinprint.com might be another place to check.  I just bought copy reprinted by them of SHADOW CASTLE (first published in 1945), which while not specifically intended for teens, is a much-loved favorite of women of a certain age (like me), and includes a little romance and still valuable lessons on picking a life-partner, i.e. how someone behaves is more important than how they look.

One of my favorite teen novels with romance is SENORITA OKAY (published in 1956),  about a girl whose female art teacher wills her money to attend art classes in Mexico in picturesque town of San Miguel de Allende, where she eventually solves mystery that had involved her teacher there.

While set in early 1900's, books with romance that teen girls in 1950's & 1960's may have read--and which are still in print--are the "Betsy-Tacy" series by Maud Hart Lovelace.  Her novel EMILY OF DEEP VALLEY is another of my favorites; if you're looking for books to a current teenage girl, you might suggest her reading it to find out about life in period when Edward Cullen (of Twilight series) was still human--EMILY also includes parallel to Bella/Edward/Jacob triangle, with girl choosing between two young men.

When I was young teen I started reading Jane Austen and Georgette Heyer (many of the later's historical romances were published by the 1950's--but tho some are included in Thorndike Large Print "clean reads", they were intended for adult readers and may include references to mistresses, "rakes" and adultery (tho maybe only suspected), even if sexual behavier isn't explicitedly depicted.

GRACE LIVINGSTON HILL (Christian romance writer who began publishing in late 1800's to about 1950's ) is also still in print, tho some elements may seem dated or even a bit offensive to some (i.e. suspected German spy toward end of ENCHANTED BARN, published after first world war anti-German propaganda).  I don't know if more rigid and accepted "class structure" and depiction of black characters will be noticed by modern readers, but those reflect social relations of the time, and could be topic of discussion comparing to today's views.  Among my fave titles are CRIMSON ROSES, NOT UNDER THE LAW, DAILY RATE, RAINBOW COTTAGE, JOB'S NIECE, RE-CREATIONS and WHITE LADY.

Does anybody recall a teen novel whose title or author I can't recall,  which I had in paperback maybe from 1940's - early 1960's, in which teen girl's family has orange grove which I think they eventually sell for building suburbs near Los Angeles, California?   Girl was sort of unkept tomboy until new girl befriends her and shows her how to take care of her sun-bleached dry hair; I remember they take train to downtown LA department store to buy new cotton dresses for school.  Suggestions welcome!          

New User
Desertislandia
0 Kudos

Just in case someone else like me stumbles onto this post (which I just noticed was from 2007), another book that is still in print that teens were reading in 1950's is MARA, DAUGHTER OF THE NILE (1953) which must have been also read & influenced by perhaps the most read "children's" author of this century so far--read Mara and see if you can guess who I'm refering to as a "modern classic"... ).

Another title by GRACE LIVINGSTON HILL about a teenager is 1927 HONOR GIRL; author's description of heroine (first page of Chapter 2) might make some present day girls rethink glopping on harsh black mascara:    "(She) went down to breakfast in a cool muslin of palest sea green, the color that always intensified the red gold of her hair and made it shine like a halo.  One of the boys usded to say that Elsie Hathaway was the only girl in the world who looked better with light golden eyelashes than she would have done with dark.  They seemed but to soften the delicate texture of her skin as white chiffon might do, and made a shy drapery for the grayness of her eyes--eyes that never seemed to flirt or grow boldly intimate.  The boys like her quiet reserve".

Among Hill's other books that contrast modest women with coarse flappers (written by someone who'd actually been there) is MATCHED PEARLS.   One of Hill's earliest books (published in late 1800's),  ACCORDING TO PATTERN, about a wife trying to win back her straying husband, is like her JOB'S NIECE (about two teenage girls) describes the heroine's making of a fitting wardrobe--and cultivating the more important inner person wearing the clothes .  Both again written by someone who lived then!     

Enjoyable for readers in wide range of ages, are Elizabeth Enright's GONE AWAY LAKE and RETURN TO GONE AWAY, which includes flashbacks to life in 1800's.  BTW, Enright was niece of architect Frank Lloyd Wright, whose style of houses which fit into landscape is alluded to in last of her books about the very likeable and believable MELENDY family--also great for family reading!    

New User
Bookreader13
0 Kudos

Finding awesome authors on the subject can be difficult, i recently read a great 1950's novel. Check out the book called Out Of The Easy.