Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Correspondent
purple_monkey

Add-On Story!!!

Jenna had been gazing out the window of her mother's car hoping for a miracle that would save her from going to see her father in Jasper Ohio. After her parents divorced ten years ago, Jenna did not have much of a relationship with her father and didn't really want one. She saw him twice a year, got a phone call every few months, and maybe some money for her birthday. Her mom decided to break the silence. "Jenna we are almost there." Sighing Jenna said,"Mom, why are you making me do this?" Rolling her eyes her mom said, " I'm not making you do this. Your dad hasn't seen you since the summer and when we divorced we agreed that you could spend two months with him twice a year- in the summer and over Christmas Break." Jenna sighed thinking about how boring it will be spending two months with her dad in a boring town that supposedly had an abandoned mansion. When she was nine years old, her dad told her that the mansion was the hiding place of something so terrible that only people with an extremely low IQ would dare to go in there. Jenna didn't believe anything her dad told her since the divorce.

Okay, get creative! It's your turn!

purple_monkey

Re: Add-On Story!!!

Fine nobody wants to write anything, then I will.

Her mom's old Chevrolet Malibu pulled into the driveway of her father's house. Even though Jenna didn't like her dad very much, she had to give him credit. He had a nice brick house, a brand new Dodge truck, and he was the sherriff. Jenna didn't care about things like that though. She wanted a dad that was there for her all of the time, told her that he was proud of her, thought about her everyday, and regretted every moment that he wasn't with her. Her mom turned the car off, looked at Jenna, and instantly knew that her daughter was going to be hard to live with the entire two months of Christmas Break. Knowing that she had no choice, Jenna got out of the car and saw her dad standing on the porch with a smile on his face. He was tall, muscular, tan, and he didn't have any hair on his head. He looked a little bit like Vin Diesel. Jenna grabbed her suitcase and walked up the stairs like a prisoner going to jail. She walked by her dad and he said, "Hi Jenna." She looked up at him and said, "Whatever." Jenna went to her room and stayed there for the rest of the night. Her dad knocked on the door, opened it, and said, "Jenna, I brought you some pizza." He sat on the bed next to her, sighed and said, "I know you really don't want to be here and I know I have not been the greatest parent, but I'm going to try to make it better between us." Jenna didn't say anything. Her dad stood up, walked to the door, and said, "Good night Jenna. I love you." Then he left the room hoping for a miracle.

purple_monkey

The next morning Jenna woke up to the sun shining very brightly and birds chirping. Like every fifteen year old she pulled the covers over her head not wanting to get up. Knowing that she wouldn't be able to go back to sleep she went to the bathroom and took a shower. Then she went to the kitchen for something to satisfy her growling stomach. Shen saw a note on the counter that read, "Good morning Jenna! I had to go to work but there is cereal in the pantry and waffles in the freezer. Love you!" Jenna ate a waffle and grabbed her coat. There was no way that she was going to stay in her father's house alone all day with nothing to do. She started down the sidewalk ackknowledging the dead grass and lifeless trees. After walking for fifteen minutes she was freezing. There was a coffee shop/book store that looked like a good place to hang out and to get back some body heat. She ordered some hot chocolate and decided to explore the book shelves. Jenna found a book that looked halfway interesting and found a table to sit at.

purple_monkey

Jenna started reading her book when a stranger came up to her and said, "Excuse me, may I sit here? Everywhere else is full." Jenna looked up at the tall man and said, "Uh, yeah sure, go ahead." She returned to her book when she was interrupted again. "Sorry to bother you, but I've never seen you here before and I come here almost everyday. What is your name?" She put her book down and said, "My name is Jenna and the reason you have not seen me before is because I'm not from here. And since we are on a first name basis, what's your name?" While she was waiting for an answer, Jenna couldn't help but notice that this stranger was actually attractive. He had curly black hair and exotic brown eyes. Jenna became so interested in them that she almost forgot that she asked him a question. After Jenna came back to reality he said, "My name is Adam and it's nice to meet you Jenna." She replied with a smile, "It's nice to meet you, too. Well, it's nice to meet anyone really." Adam had a confused look on his face and said, "What do you mean?" She sat back in her chair and said, "I'm here visiting my dad for a couple months. My parents are divorced and me and my dad don't really get along. So anything to get away from him is well... good." Adam still had a confused look on his face. He said, "You know, I think any time with someone who loves you would be a blessing. My dad is in the Army and I don't see him very much, but when I do see him, I cherish every moment." Jenna suddenly felt terrible.

purple_monkey

Well I would have liked this to be an add-on story, but since nobody will add then I guess I'm writing this myself. I guess it's not that bad. I can claim it as mine, be as creative as I want to, and make the story go which ever way I want it to go.

Wordsmith
Jefferson_Thomas

I think you're doing fine with it; keep going!  :smileyhappy: 

purple_monkey

Thank you Jeff. It's nice to have some encouragement.

Adam saw the look on Jenna's face and said, "Hey, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to drop my problems on you and make you feel bad." She said, "No, no. It's alright. You gave me a new view on things." Just to change the subject Adam said, "Hey um, since you new here and don't know many people around town, do want to hang out sometime?" Jenna looked up at Adam with a smile on her face and said, "Yeah. That would be nice." Adam smiled back and they exchanged phone numbers and addresses. Adam stood up from the table and said to Jenna, "Okay, well I'll call you and we can hang out." Jenna smiled and then he said, "Well I gotta go." Jenna said, "Yeah me too." Adam turned to walk away and Jenna stopped him saying, "Adam!" He turned around and she said, "Thanks." Adam smiled and started to walk away again. Jenna left soon after he did. On the way back to her dad's house, Jenna was thinking about how nice it was to have a friend in a town full of strangers. She also thought about what Adam had said about his dad. She started feeling bad about the way she was treating her dad. Jenna remembered what her dad told her the night before. Maybe he was serious and that he really wanted to make things better. Jenna decided that she wasn't being a good daughter and should try harder to be one, and if she didn't then she might regret it later.

purple_monkey

Jenna noticed that her dad's truck was back. She walked up the steps and into the living room where her dad was sitting on the couch reading a newspaper. She sat down next to him and looked straight forward at the fireplace. Her dad put down the newspaper and said, "Hey, what did you do all day?" Jenna looked over at him and said, "Well, I was bored so I went to the book store/coffee shop on the corner and made a new friend." He raised an eyebrow and said, "Oh yeah? What's her name?" Jenna smiled and said, "Dad, my friend is a guy and his name is Adam." He said, "Oh. Uh, sorry. I just assumed." Jenna said, "It's okay. He's really nice and he made me realize something. I know that you want us to be closer and have a better relationship. I also know that you are trying really hard to make that happen and I should be trying harder too. Another thing he made me realize is that I should be thankful for you." Her dad smiled at her and gave her a big hug that he wanted to give her since she arrived. Jenna asked her dad, "Hey, I'm sorry for the past few years." He unwrapped his arms from her, looked at her and said, "Oh, honey. What matters now is that things are better and the past is behind us." Jenna's stomach interrupted the nice sentimental moment by growling. She looked down at it and said, "I guess I'm a little hungry. I have not eaten since breakfast." He chuckled at her and said, "Why don't I make some spaghetti and garlic bread." Jenna replied, "That sounds good. Can I help?" He nodded and they both went to the kitchen. Her dad always liked cooking. He took several cooking classes in college. He was boiling water when he said, "So Jenna tell me more about this Adam guy. Being the sheriff I know pretty much everybody in town and there are a lot of Adams."

Inspired Correspondent
Open-Peacemind
0 Kudos

This is super good!

I can't wait until the next part.

Keep going!!! :smileyvery-happy:

“You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams.”
― Dr. Seuss
"It's your decision:
are you going to do the right or the wrong?"
~me
purple_monkey

Thinking of ways to describe him Jenna said, "Well I don't know much about him, but he did say that his dad is in the Army. Um, he's tall, has brown eyes, and he has curly black hair." Her dad noticed that Jenna looked deep in thought and she was smiling. Her dad knew what was going on and said, "Well he sounds charming." Jenna turned around and said, "Dad, it's not like that. He's just a friend. He said that we could hang out sometime. I thought it would be nice to have someone to hang out with while you're away at work." Her dad said with a smile, "Oh okay. Whatever you say Jenna." Jenna roled her eyes and went back to fixing the garlic bread. They finished cooking and ate dinner in the dining room. They talked about everything. Jenna yawned and her dad looked at his watch and said, "Wow. We've been talking and eating for two hours. I'm not complaining but wow. Jenna smiled and went to the kitchen to put her plate in the dishwasher. She hugged her dad, told him good night, and went to bed. Her dad was still in the kitchen and he couldn't have been more happy then he was that night. The next morning, Jenna woke up satisfied with herself, took a shower, ate some breakfast, and decided to call Adam. He picked up after the second ring and they decided to meet up at her house. Jenna waited on the porch for him. She saw him walking toward the house, stood up, and waved. They said their hellos and Adam said, "Hey I have an idea of what we could do today." She said, "Oh yeah? What is it?" Adam said, "Well have you ever heard of the abandoned mansion." Jenna replied, "Yeah, my dad told me that only someone who was really stupid would go in there. I didn't believe him though." He said, "Well, you're gonna believe him after today because we are gonna go see it."

purple_monkey

They started on their journey to the abandoned mansion when Jenna asked Adam, "So can you tell me more about this mansion?" Adam sighed knowing that it would be a long story and he began, "About 150 years ago, the mansion was owned by a very wealthy man. He owned a very successful fur trading company and his name was William Beaufort. He had everything a man could ever want, except someone to share it with. Everyone knew him and how rich he was. So everytime he went on a date or even got close to someone it would end badly. Those people only got close to him so that they could possibly get some money or a nice gift. They didn't want to be true friends with Mr. Beaufort. They just wanted to be friends with benefits." Jenna was looking down at the ground and she said, "Oh my gosh. That's terrible." Adam replied, "Yeah and I have not even gotten to the worst part yet. Mr. Beaufort was so sad and angry about everybody taking advantage of him that he shut down the company, went into his house, and never came out." Jenna looked over at Adam and asked, "So what happened to Mr. Beaufort?" Adam looked at Jenna and said, "Nobody knows for sure. Only the brave dared to go inside and investigate, but when they came out they were a mess. One guy who went in said that the furniture was destroyed, there was broken glass everywhere, and there was a ripped painting of Mr. Beaufort on the floor. He said the mansion was the home of a monster. This 'witness' also went to a psychiatric hospital so nobody knows if they should believe the stories or not." Jenna asked, "So you believe these stories?" Adam said, "Yeah I do. I know there are a bunch of crazy people in the world, but more than one person is telling the same story."

purple_monkey

They were getting close to the mansion when Jenna asked, "How can you be so sure that these stories are real?" Adam looked up at the sky and said, "Do you remember when you were little and you believed fairytales were real? Well, even though I'm older now I still feel like there are some things that are magical. Things that science can't exlpain. Things that are real." Jenna smiled at Adam. She said in a soft voice, "I know how you feel." Jenna was thinking of how she had never met someone like Adam. All of the other guys she knew were jerks. Adam was kind, sweet, and he felt like there were things in the world that were 'magical', as he put it. She was just never really sure if what they both felt about the world was real and she didn't know if anybody else felt like she did, but she found Adam and one person feeling the same way was good enough for her.

Sorry I couldn't write more but I can't write and be tired at the same time.

purple_monkey

Adam and Jenna finally arrived at the mansion. It had a stone fence, an iron gate and a long curvy drive way that lead to the mansion. They stopped to take it all in and Jenna felt a little nervous and intimidated. She said, "Wow. We came. We saw. We're leaving." Jenna turned to walk away when Adam grabbed her shoulder and said, "Oh no you don't. We are going to get closer." Jenna slowly turned back around. Adam said, "Don't worry. I'm right here and I am a boxer. Trust me." Jenna looked at him for several seconds until she finally nodded. Adam held out his hand and Jenna took it. He pushed the gate open and they walked to the mansion. Jenna felt more nervous as they walked but she knew that she would be okay because Adam was with her. They stopped just in front of the house to take it all in. Jenna looked over at Adam and asked, "We're not going in there, are we?"

purple_monkey

Adam said, "Well I know I want to but we don't have to if you're scared." Jenna was scared but she didn't want Adam to know that. She said, "I'm not scared! I... I was just wondering if you were man enough to go in." Adam smiled and was attempting not to laugh because he knew that she was, in fact, scared and she was covering it up. The truth is that Adam was scared about going in too. She put her hands on her hips and said, "What are you smiling at? Are we going in or not?" Adam said, "Okay. Then let's go." They walked up the steps to the door. Adam slowly opened the door and they both went in. After taking three steps they stopped so that they could look at everything around them. There was a room on their left with a dusty piano and an askew rug. On their right was a ripped painting of a man Jenna assumed to be Mr. Beaufort. They walked a little further into a grand hall that looked almost like a ballroom. There was a large staircase leading to more mysterious parts of the mansion. Jenna saw a statue that was chipped and broken in many places. Both Jenna and Adam were awestruck by what they saw. Jenna said, "Wow. It's all true. I bet this place was amazing!" Adam agreed. He said, "Yeah I bet so, but there's one thing I don't understand." Jenna looked at him and said, "What?" He sat down on the stairs and said, "Well, this place is a mess like the witness said but where is the monster?"

purple_monkey

Jenna sat down next to him and said, "Maybe that part of the story is wrong. Maybe the witness just assumed that there was a monster because of the way this place looked." Adam said, "Yeah. Maybe so. But I would still like to know what happened to Mr. Beaufort." Jenna said, "Yeah me, too." She looked at her surroundings again, sighed, and said "Hey, I'm a little hungry. Let's get out of here and find a place to get some food." Adam looked at her and said, "Yeah, I'm hungry too. There's a diner not far from here that has the best burgers." They got to the diner and got some food. Jenna took a bite of her burger and said, "Wow! These really are the good!" Adam smiled and noticed that the sun was shining directly on her. This made him look at her differently. He noticed that she had freckles on her nose, crazy long eyelashes, and her hair looked like the color of dark chocolate. Jenna noticed that Adam had a strange look on his face and said, "Hey is something wrong?" He shook himself off of the train of thought and said, "Oh no, nothings wrong. You just have mustard on your chin." Embarrassed, Jenna wiped her chin. They finished eating and sat in the booth for hours talking and laughing about everything. They both lost track of time until Jenna saw the time on a clock behind Adam. She said, "Wow. We've been here for three hours. I should probably be going home now." Adam said, "Yeah me too. I'll walk you home." They left and started toward her dad's house. When they got there Jenna said, "Today was a blast." Adam said, "Yeah I had fun too. Actually it was the most fun I've had in a while. Do you want to hang out tomorrow?" She said, "Gee I don't know." She saw that Adam was disappointed and said, "Hey I'm just kidding. I would love to hang out again tomorrow." He smiled and there was an awkward second where neither of them knew what to say. Jenna decided to give him a quick goodbye hug and go inside.

purple_monkey

Jenna closed the door behind her and didn't realize that her dad was in the living room. He put down his newspaper, which startled Jenna, and said, "Hey how was your day?" Jenna said, "Oh my gosh! Daddy you scared me." She walked into the living room to sit with her dad. She said, "Adam and I hung out today. We went to that old abandoned mansion and he told me the story behind it." Her dad raised an eyebrow and said, "Really? What did you think about it?" She replied, "Well, it made me realize the story you told me when I was little were actually true. I thought that you were making it up. When we went inside" He interrupted her by saying, "Hang on. You went inside?" She said, "Yeah and it was amazing." He said, "Since Adam told you the story then I'm hoping he told you about the mansion being the home of a monster." She nodded. "I don't know if there is a monster in there, but if there is then you could've been hurt. Please promise me that you won't go in there again." She said, "But dad I didn't get hurt. Adam was with me. He said that I would be safe with him. Plus, after we went in, Adam had doubts that a monster actually did live there." He said, "Just please promise me that you won't go in there ever again." Jenna said, "I promise." She felt bad about promising that because she felt that there was a mystery behind the mansion and she wanted to go back and figure it out. Jenna wasn't hungry so she took a shower and went to bed.

purple_monkey
0 Kudos

How am I doing so far? Any ideas on what you would like to see happen in the story? Questions? Opinions?

Please reply! :smileyhappy:

Inspired Correspondent
Open-Peacemind

I really like your story!!

it all connects somehow...

Well here's what I want to see, either, Adam was the monster or someone behind the things in the mansion and Jenna's love(well that's where see it headed) life is crushed, OR their love life goes on the ups and downs, together or not...

That's what I think would be pretty good, but it is your story.....

No questions, but, When is the next part coming out?

“You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams.”
― Dr. Seuss
"It's your decision:
are you going to do the right or the wrong?"
~me
purple_monkey
0 Kudos

Thanks for your input! I've had issues trying to think of what should happen next. I am trying though. Please don't think that I've started something and I'm not going to finish it. I will finish but it might take a little longer than what the readers would like.

purple_monkey

The next day, Jenna woke up to the smell of bacon and pancakes. She went to the kitchen to, unexpectedly, see her dad at the stove. He heard her come in and said, "Good morning Jenna! I don't have to go into work today so I thought that we could spend the day together." Still a little groggy, she sat down at the table and said, "Okay. What did you have in mind?" He sat the food down in front of her and said, "We can do anything you want. We could go ice skating, play hockey, go sledding, ice fishing, or skiing." She smiled and said, "That sounds like fun." They finished breakfast and started their day by going ice skating. Jenna had never skated on ice before. She went roller skating many times with her friends back home, but ice skating was so much different. Her dad could see that Jenna was tired of falling on her butt and they went sledding, which eventually turned into a snowball fight. They did everything that he suggested and had an amazing time. They finished the day by going to a cafe to get some hot chocolate and something hot to eat. After hearing that Jenna and Adam went inside the mansion her dad was hoping to get her mind off of possibly going back. He knew that she wasn't the type to give up and move on. He did enjoy the time they had spent together. If he was not successful in getting her to forget the mansion then at least he would get to keep the memories that were made that day. They left the cafe, went home, and they both went to sleep with a smile on their faces.