Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Contributor
I_read_books
0 Kudos

Anybody heard about cell phone novels yet?

Hiya, everyone. I was just reading an article in a magazine talking about cell phone novels. Supposedly their really big in Japan, and seem to be getting big here, too. Has anybody read one yet, or knows anything about them?
Inspired Correspondent
Facepalm

Re: Anybody heard about cell phone novels yet?

No. I'm guessing it's a novel on a phone (crazy, out-there guess- I know!!)? I couldn't stand to read anything longer than a text on my phone. The screen's too small, and there are only like two-three words per line.
team GALE, anyone?
Wordsmith
sweetiepie95
0 Kudos

r you talking about ebooks?

I'm weird cause i hate goodbyes :smileyhappy:
Inspired Contributor
I_read_books
0 Kudos

No, I'm not talking about ebooks, and yes, the novel are actually on your cell phone. Crazy, neh? Supposedly it's all the rage in Japan, and is getting more popular here. I actually went on a site the other day for it and checked it out. It's really weird. Whenever the author puts up a new chapter you download it only your cell phone (their only like, 100 words each) and then read and review it. It sounds annoying to me (I agree. The type is WAAAAAAYYYYYY too small) but I guess it was bound to happen.
Inspired Correspondent
Facepalm
0 Kudos

I suppose it would be more convenient than carrying around a full-size book, though. At least it could fit in your pocket.
team GALE, anyone?
Inspired Correspondent
Ravenclaww
0 Kudos

I'd rather have a big book on me all the time then a small phone book with 100 words per chapter. Quality over Quantity. (I think haha)
TheSubtleChronicler.blogspot.com

Check it out :smileywink:
Distinguished Correspondent
Cheyenne_Catina
0 Kudos

y o y did u tell me that...not that i have a cell phone but now i really really really want one...
"He is bound to you,” said the Queen. “But does he love you?"
Kyleigh
0 Kudos

Lmao.  Wow.  Japanese people, the sillies.  I have to agree. I'd rather read something physical, than virtual.  I have slight troubles reading ebooks.  Though I kind of got over it, cuz I really really really wanted to read that book. 

Reading a chapter on my tiny little screen would drive me nuts.  Have the time I can't even read my screen cuz of light refraction or the sun being stupid and in my way.  I have to be inside to actually read it.  Lol.  If you had an iPhone or Blackberry I suppose it wouldn't be that bad, but still it's kinda inconvenient.  How much memory would that take up on your phone?  

"There are two types of people in this world. People who hate clowns...and clowns."
Cheyenne_Catina
0 Kudos

too true...:smileysad:..lol
Inspired Contributor
I_read_books
0 Kudos

LOL I have to agree with most of you. I'd much rather have a real book to lug around, whether or not it's heavy. I just think it's a lot easier and funner to have the actual object. I'm not too into ebooks, either. They make my head hurt, though they are a good thing for some people...

I don't know about the space. I wouldn't think that a text phone novel would take up too much space, because I'm pretty sure you just delete it after you've read it (it's like recieving a text supposedly) but I wouldn't know. Another bad thing is that these aren't by real authors, so there would be the issue of quality, as Ravenclaww said. Not that there aren't a lot of good authors who don't get published, but...

Inspired Wordsmith
twilight_fanatic_01
0 Kudos

Jeezums...ebooks...ick. They're called "books" for the same reason we don't call a banana a potato...because they're two different things entirely! I'd rather feel the freshly-printed pages in my fingers and smell the processed ink instead of reading Harry Potter of a two-inch screen that has to be charged every thirty minutes xP

Correspondent
thaisra
0 Kudos

Yea I prefer the printed book over eboos and audiobook, to me it's a lot easier, when I read ebooks it bothers my eyes and I can never follow and I can never follow the audiobook
Cheyenne_Catina
0 Kudos

yeah, i agree...but i dont have like an unlimites credit card and our library has downloadable books..so i f they dont have the real thing and i want to read a book really bad i have to suck it up/..i also read the excerpts on B&N...but  yeah theres nothing like the real thing
Inspired Contributor
I_read_books
0 Kudos

Yeah, the e-books make my eyes hurt a lot, too. I know their easier to read, but I don't really like them. I'd rather pay extra for a real book than buy a cheeper one if it's an e-book. Their not that much more, and they'll last longer, too.

As far as the cell phone thing goes, they aren't written by "real" authors, so that might kind of stink to read. Plus, it would wrack up your phone bill, which would not be fun. 

Cheyenne_Catina
0 Kudos

i agree...real books are soo much better