Contributor
Orangeyougladto
0 Kudos

Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver

Ok so I did the B&N teen bookclub thing and got Before I Fall. I LOVED the book but the ending bothered me. What were your thoughts on it?

Bibliophile
ZoeyRedbird
0 Kudos

Re: Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver

I also read the book and loved it.

****SPOILERS****

But I was really sad that she couldnt be saved I mean I know in the beginning she like dies and like relives the day over and over again but i thought for sure that there was going to be a way to save her. Oh and didnt you hate sams friends in the beginning!

"You have to dream before your dreams can come true."
Abdul Kalam
"What great thing would you attempt if you knew you could not fail?"
Robert H. Schuller

Inspired Scribe
djaq
0 Kudos

I read it and thought it was pretty good for Lauren Oliver's first novel. I think I'd be interested to read some more stuff by her. Some parts kind of bothered me, and yeah I hated Sam's friends in the beginning a lot. :smileytongue: Lauren Oliver also through in little questions within the book. I can't really remeber where or what exactly, but occasionally she would ask "Well its no better than what you do." "I didn't deserve this, I'm the same as you."  Stuff like that. Was she trying to get the reader to think about how they treat people, or how their actions impact others, something along those lines?...So I dunno if thats something worth bringing up on the Before I Fall board, but it was just an observation.

"We could do pizza."
Frequent Contributor
michaela27
0 Kudos

I read the book and I loved it.  Ya I was sad about the end I definately hoped for a different outcome. but it was still great.

Contributor
Orangeyougladto
0 Kudos

I was upset at the ending because she actually died! I know that must sound stupid but I mean, COME ON. All that for nothing???

Inspired Correspondent
bookrooted
0 Kudos

i read it as well, and im glad juliet was saved, but then i was just shocked about sam! i mean yeah she was pretty cruel in the beginning, but by the time the end came she made some amends and learned, and when you thought that there was going to be a loop-hole or way, BAM she's gone 

yeah i remember the parts when she 'talked' to the readers. Like, can you really blame me? people do it all the time....

just stuff like that; i hope in the future though, her friends who also were pretty cruel, learned something as well, or at least grew up a bit, realized maybe some of their mistakes

----------------------------------------------
Contributor
TatyyGirl
0 Kudos

As I posted in one of the threads on the "Before I Die" thread, I wish Sam had thought to pull, rather than push, because by the end of the novel, I cared about Sam's clique of friends, Kent, and Juliet deeply.

The most I can hope for, however, is that Lindsay makes up for her mistakes and repents because Juliet didn't deserve to be so hurt, no one does.

Inspired Correspondent
bookrooted
0 Kudos

Yeah i warmed up to her clique, and liked them the most, rather Elody, Lindsay, and Ally

It was sad to see them hurt, and that they dont remember some of the later repeats of her days, especially Kent

Frequent Contributor
dandyMW
0 Kudos

I was actually satisfied with the ending. I mean, in the beginning, I absolutely hated Sam and her friends. I don't think I've ever hated a character more, to be honest. So when she started to turn around and do some good, I was glad. Then, when she saved Juliet, I was happy. I think she learned her lesson and got to move on. Anyway, all in all, I have to say I didn't really like the book - it wasn't my type.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."
— Groucho Marx
Bibliophile
ZoeyRedbird
0 Kudos

I actually think the saddest part about her death was that she had just discovered she liked Kent and then she had to die! It was really sad knowing Kent had liked her all this time then when she finally likes him she dies =(

"You have to dream before your dreams can come true."
Abdul Kalam
"What great thing would you attempt if you knew you could not fail?"
Robert H. Schuller

Inspired Correspondent
bookrooted
0 Kudos

Yeah that sucked...

i was surprised by they ending, even though i knew she was going to die. I hope Juliet somewhere in the future finally sticks up for herself, though that might cause more trouble...

Anyways, i was sad about the ending, but satisfied as a reader by it.