Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
Distinguished Scribe
HungerGamesPerson
Posts: 611
Registered: ‎01-09-2011
0 Kudos

Bing vs. Google?

This place needs some exciting new topics!

 

So which is it? Bing or Google?(I realize they are almost the same)

This is kind of a "Springboard" topic, anyone can post a new _______vs_______.

 

 

If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other.
Mother Teresa
For it is in giving that we receive.
Francis of Assisi










Wordsmith
Jefferson_Thomas
Posts: 462
Registered: ‎08-04-2010

Re: Bing vs. Google?

Definitely Google!  For me, Bing seems to return a lot of irrelevant information while still managing to NOT return any useful information.  Anyone else have the same experience, or is it just me?

 

Jeff

Inspired Bibliophile
GS2991
Posts: 2,590
Registered: ‎04-21-2011

Re: Bing vs. Google?

Chicken vs Egg? I have a theory on this but I never had people to ask......
Silence is golden,
Duck tape is silver.

Book Sharks: No need to breathe, just read!
Distinguished Scribe
HungerGamesPerson
Posts: 611
Registered: ‎01-09-2011

Re: Bing vs. Google?


Jefferson_Thomas wrote:

Definitely Google!  For me, Bing seems to return a lot of irrelevant information while still managing to NOT return any useful information.  Anyone else have the same experience, or is it just me?

 

Jeff



Same here, their "algorithm" or whatever is defiantly not as good as Google's.

Plus I like Google because they were once a really small company but are now super-duper huge!

 

GS2991- do you mean like what came first, the chicken or the egg?

If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other.
Mother Teresa
For it is in giving that we receive.
Francis of Assisi










Inspired Bibliophile
GS2991
Posts: 2,590
Registered: ‎04-21-2011

Re: Bing vs. Google?

Yeah which came first? I have a thought behind it but I would like to see what others say first.
Silence is golden,
Duck tape is silver.

Book Sharks: No need to breathe, just read!
Distinguished Wordsmith
SaraMariaa
Posts: 258
Registered: ‎01-23-2010

Re: Bing vs. Google?

Google all the way! I tried Bing once and it didn't give me any useful information. It sucks!

“The books that help you the most are those which make you think the most.”
Inspired Bibliophile
GS2991
Posts: 2,590
Registered: ‎04-21-2011

Re: Bing vs. Google?

Yeah I have the same feeling. I was hunting around ebay once didn't find what I was looking for so I thought to try bing since I seen the add. And well it gave me three of the same thing. Bing be as useful as a sack of dog crap. Google's faster anyway. Bing vs Google uh whats the question? :smileyvery-happy:
Silence is golden,
Duck tape is silver.

Book Sharks: No need to breathe, just read!
Distinguished Scribe
HungerGamesPerson
Posts: 611
Registered: ‎01-09-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Bing vs. Google?


GS2991 wrote:
Yeah I have the same feeling. I was hunting around ebay once didn't find what I was looking for so I thought to try bing since I seen the add. And well it gave me three of the same thing. Bing be as useful as a sack of dog crap. Google's faster anyway. Bing vs Google uh whats the question? :smileyvery-happy:


I agree.

 

As for Chicken vs. Egg I would say the egg came first.

If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other.
Mother Teresa
For it is in giving that we receive.
Francis of Assisi










Inspired Bibliophile
GS2991
Posts: 2,590
Registered: ‎04-21-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Bing vs. Google?

[ Edited ]
Egg huh? Can you in short tell me why? I'm not going to debate just interested in the answer.
Silence is golden,
Duck tape is silver.

Book Sharks: No need to breathe, just read!
Distinguished Scribe
HungerGamesPerson
Posts: 611
Registered: ‎01-09-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Bing vs. Google?


GS2991 wrote:
Egg huh? Can you in short tell me why? I'm not going to debate just interested in the answer.

Well, if you believe in evolotion, than whatever a chicken evolved from would have to lay the eggs first and if you are a creationist than God would create the egg first (At least I think so).

If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other.
Mother Teresa
For it is in giving that we receive.
Francis of Assisi










Inspired Bibliophile
GS2991
Posts: 2,590
Registered: ‎04-21-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Bing vs. Google?

Very interesting. I thought the other way around. The feathered lizered whatchamacallit layed the chicky egg and God created the chicky. Because the egg can't hatch itself it needs turning I know because I've raised many broods. Hmm me rethink my theory. Thank you. Anyone else?
Silence is golden,
Duck tape is silver.

Book Sharks: No need to breathe, just read!
Distinguished Correspondent
Cheyenne_Catina
Posts: 2,066
Registered: ‎10-18-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Bing vs. Google?

google, definitely...its wayy faster and with better results

"He is bound to you,” said the Queen. “But does he love you?"
Wordsmith
Jefferson_Thomas
Posts: 462
Registered: ‎08-04-2010

Re: Bing vs. Google?


HungerGamesPerson wrote:

GS2991 wrote:
Egg huh? Can you in short tell me why? I'm not going to debate just interested in the answer.

Well, if you believe in evolotion, than whatever a chicken evolved from would have to lay the eggs first and if you are a creationist than God would create the egg first (At least I think so).


Hmmm, let's think about this for a second . . .   If I remember correctly, that part's in Genesis, so if we Google Genesis . . .   all kinds of other (irrelevant) things pop up, like the band, and a Hyundai dealership . . .   I've inadvertently brought our conversation full circle . . . and made a bad joke  . . .   [rolls eyes at self]  :smileyvery-happy:

 

Jeff 

Distinguished Scribe
HungerGamesPerson
Posts: 611
Registered: ‎01-09-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Bing vs. Google?


Jefferson_Thomas wrote:

HungerGamesPerson wrote:

GS2991 wrote:
Egg huh? Can you in short tell me why? I'm not going to debate just interested in the answer.

Well, if you believe in evolotion, than whatever a chicken evolved from would have to lay the eggs first and if you are a creationist than God would create the egg first (At least I think so).


Hmmm, let's think about this for a second . . .   If I remember correctly, that part's in Genesis, so if we Google Genesis . . .   all kinds of other (irrelevant) things pop up, like the band, and a Hyundai dealership . . .   I've inadvertently brought our conversation full circle . . . and made a bad joke  . . .   [rolls eyes at self]  :smileyvery-happy:

 

Jeff 



:smileyhappy:

If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other.
Mother Teresa
For it is in giving that we receive.
Francis of Assisi