Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
Amazane73
0 Kudos

Re: Book Club???

It seems like a great idea to have to read a couple chapters a week and then discussing them ongoing so lets do that! So there are not really chapters in The Adoration of Jenna Fox but we can just do page numbers..... So lets say everyone reads the first 50 pages by next Friday (October 5th), comment while reading or after you have read them...If you are going to post spoilers please say so! Lets see how this works out and comment any suggestions or ideas you have about it. 

Inspired Contributor
sadie_2151
0 Kudos

i havent been on in a few weeks and i just now saw the post about what books to read, but ill try and get the book asap and try my best to catch up, if not, ill just wait for the next book! oh and btw theres a new book by maggie stiefvater called raven boys that ive been wanting to read so if anyone else wants to read it, thatd be awesome! =)

Contributor
HuntingWitch89
0 Kudos

We haven't started reading yet, I don't think (at least I haven't). I've been meaning to get on here and ask when we wanted to start and how many chapters we want to read for the first week. Ideas? I looked at the book and there's 17 chapters total. If we want to stick with a month, that's about 4 chapters a week (we'll need to do an extra chapter one week). Also, in case no one else has looked at the book, it actually has discussion questions at the back. Just an extra interesting fact. We don't have to use them, but they are there if we need topic starters.
"I hate fate. I don’t believe in her. Unfortunately, I think the [she] believes in me." ~ MacKayla Lane
Contributor
Amazane73
0 Kudos

So I don't think anyone has started the Adoration of Jenna Fox...So we are not going to start until next Friday. So please try to get the book and try to read the first 50 pages by October Then we can all have an on going discussion about the book. Thanks, hope you guys enjoy the book!!

Wordsmith
Jefferson_Thomas
0 Kudos

sadie_2151 wrote:

i havent been on in a few weeks and i just now saw the post about what books to read, but ill try and get the book asap and try my best to catch up, if not, ill just wait for the next book! 

Hey, Sadie, don't feel bad; I haven't started it either.  I reserved a copy online at my local library way back when we first decided on it, and it still hasn't arrived!  :smileyhappy: 

I stumbled across The Face on the Milk Carton at my brick and mortar Barnes and Noble (yes, I'm so old that I actually still GO to a B&M B&N, hahaha!), and it looks like it might be a good read if any of ever finishes The Adoration of Jenna Fox:smileyvery-happy: 

Jeff

Contributor
HuntingWitch89
0 Kudos

Hey, so are we going to start reading this anytime soon? I'm currently at a standstill on what to read until "Iced" comes out next week and I was wanting to start this!
"I hate fate. I don’t believe in her. Unfortunately, I think the [she] believes in me." ~ MacKayla Lane
Wordsmith
Jefferson_Thomas
0 Kudos

I checked last night, and it turns out that the local library lost my request for The Adoration of Jenna Fox!  I'm probably being mean by saying this, but how dumb can ya get?  Anyway, I ordered it again, so we'll see what happens.

In the meantime, I'm having fun reading The Face on the Milk Carton and Whatever Happened to Janie.  I just started The Voice on the Radio.  So far, I like Whatever Happened to Janie best, mostly because it seems more realistic to me, especially the part about what law enforcement would do.  Overall, I'm not sorry I wasted money on these books, but I'm hoping to soon adore (or not, as the case may be) Jenna Fox!  :smileyhappy:

Jeff

Wordsmith
Jefferson_Thomas
0 Kudos

Jefferson_Thomas wrote:

I checked last night, and it turns out that the local library lost my request for The Adoration of Jenna Fox!  I'm probably being mean by saying this, but how dumb can ya get?  Anyway, I ordered it again, so we'll see what happens.

In the meantime, I'm having fun reading The Face on the Milk Carton and Whatever Happened to Janie.  I just started The Voice on the Radio.  So far, I like Whatever Happened to Janie best, mostly because it seems more realistic to me, especially the part about what law enforcement would do.  Overall, I'm not sorry I wasted money on these books, but I'm hoping to soon adore (or not, as the case may be) Jenna Fox!  :smileyhappy:

Jeff

Well, I didn't adore Jenna Fox, but I didn't hate it.  A couple of thoughts without giving too much away:

1.  Don't be fooled by this book -- it is a work of science fiction trying to disguise itself as drama.

2.  I think a bit more romance would have been nice.  When Jenna kisses who she kisses (I promised I wouldn't give too much away so I won't say exactly who), it feels like she's doing it just to be doing it; she doesn't seem to have any real feelings for who she's kissing.  When I was her age and kissed a girl I liked, my heart was pounding so hard it was hard to breathe, doesn't yours?  I understand why it might feel like just a science experiment to her, but if so, why did the book end the way it did?  I think you can't have it both ways.

3.  I understand why Jenna is so angry throughout the book, particularly given the things she discovers, but I don't understand why she sees so little need to make any effort to get along with anyone.  After all, wouldn't she be better able to get information from people who thought she liked them than if she were sullen, resentful and accusatory?  In this regard, she reminds me of Harry I'm-Mad-all-the-Time Potter.

4.  I think this author tried to bite off more than she could chew.  She obviously has a chip on her shoulder about medical bio-ethics (I don't want to give away any more than that), and she's right about completely uncontrolled experiments, but she's coming across as this total Luddite, and she's trying to write this huge denouncement of what she doesn't like, but without giving her characters enough depth or complexity to pull it off.  They're just not memorable enough to send the message she's trying to send.

I don't know; maybe I'm being too harsh, but I really didn't like this book as much as I'd expected to.  Does anyone else feel the same way?  Did I totally misjudge it?

Jeff