Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Wordsmith
Golden_Reader12

Book Clubs

Does anyone actually do that book club thing where everyone is supposed to read the same book with assigned chapters and then disscuss them? I've always wanted to do that with a group except no one seems interested. I can understand if people don't like the assigned ch. thing. It becomes more like homework that way. Plus people read at differnt paces. But what if instead of assigned chapters you just had a set date that everyone is finished by and then gets together to talk about the book? Even if you haven't completly finished you could still participate.

"There would be little reason to lie down at night without the possibility of seeing things bigger and more amazing than the average day might bring about. Why pick up a pen or type on a keyboard if there's no imagination or wonder left to behold?"
-pg 3 of Leven Thumps and the Wrath of Ezra
Wordsmith
Arielle
0 Kudos

Re: Book Clubs

I think a few people started one, but I dont know where the thread went. I think some people are just too busy, but I am sure you can find at least one person that will read the same book as you and then you and them can talk about it via private messages. 
Who controls the past controls the future.
Who controls the present controls the past.
Wordsmith
shesaxsensation
0 Kudos

Well, I have so many books that I have to read. And I'm reading them all in a certain order. So to add a book in there from a book club would mess it all up. As soon as I get through all of these books then I'll definitely want to do the whole book club thing.
"For almost ninety years I've walked among my kind, and yours...all the time thinking I was complete in myself, not realizing what I was seeking. And not finding anything, because you weren't alive yet."

- Edward Cullen
Inspired Wordsmith
Vampires-and-Spongebob

[ Edited ]
I would LOVE to do that but everyone I know doesn't read the same books as I or would like to. I have been assigned chapters to books but I either will not read the book at all or read the book in one day. It makes things very difficult for book groups. Right now, in school we have been assigned to reading groups where we read a book with no set chapter/page stop and discuss. That unfortuantly let's the fast readers go farther in the book then the slow/normal rates. The discussing is hard because you can't tell where the slowest reader stoped at and only be able to discuss that. So, to get to the point I would really love to try out your idea!
Message Edited by Vampires-and-Spongebob on 02-20-2009 05:42 PM
"Behold the male beast roaring in the jungle for his mate. See how the female beast giggles behind a shrub while she organizes her voice to say 'Pardon dear, did you say something?'"~Elphaba, Wicked, pg.102-103
Wordsmith
Golden_Reader12
0 Kudos

That's great! Do you have any books in mind that you have or want to read?

Vampires-and-Spongebob wrote:
I would LOVE to do that but everyone I know doesn't read the same books as or would like to. I have been assigned chapters to books but I either will not read the book at all or read the book in one day. It makes things very difficult for book groups. Right now, in school we have been assigned to reading groups where we read a book with no set chapter/page stop and discuss. That unfortuantly let's the fast readers go farther in the book then the slow/normal rates. The discussing is hard because you can't tell where the slowest reader stoped at and only be able to discuss that. So, to get to the point I would really love to try out your idea!

"There would be little reason to lie down at night without the possibility of seeing things bigger and more amazing than the average day might bring about. Why pick up a pen or type on a keyboard if there's no imagination or wonder left to behold?"
Inspired Wordsmith
Vampires-and-Spongebob
0 Kudos

Well, what type of books do you like? And what are your favorite authors? Personally, I love the Dark Fantasy genre and my favorite authors are......

• L.J. Smith
  • Nancy Holder
  • Amelia Atwater-Rhodes
  • Melissa Marr
  • Richelle Mead
  • P.C. Cast
  • Kristen Cast
  • Claudia Gray
"Behold the male beast roaring in the jungle for his mate. See how the female beast giggles behind a shrub while she organizes her voice to say 'Pardon dear, did you say something?'"~Elphaba, Wicked, pg.102-103
Inspired Correspondent
torusthetiger

can i also be in the reading club b/c i would LOVE to do that!!!
"but why's she got to go to the library?" -Harry
"because that's what Hermione does........When in doubt, go to the library." -Ron (chamber of secrets)
Distinguished Correspondent
xojewlzx012
0 Kudos

i would love to do tht, but im way to busy right now. I can hardly get thru books like i did before, with all school & stuff. But during the summer ill def. join
" I'm completly capable of driving myself home!"
Of course she was but i wasn't capabale of letting her go
- bella & edward, midnight sun ♥
Frequent Contributor
imsosorrybutiloveyou
0 Kudos

id do it. can i join?

well depends on the book. i think im too lazy to like rent/buy a new book. (hehe.. hopefully a book ive read, just to dissucss) :]]]

fer sure maybe. fer sure not. fer sure eh. fer sure bomb.
Distinguished Scribe
booklover37

can i join in.?? i've always wanted to do one of these book club things but no one ever reads around here.
"...life is a fight just the same, whether you fight it with weapons, or with words. You have to fight for what you believe in, and for the things you want.'"
Distinguished Wordsmith
_K3LS3Y_
0 Kudos

i  would love to join as long as i don't have to buy the book bc i'm short on money and stuff
You always get your happy ending
If you're not happy...then it's not the end
Inspired Correspondent
torusthetiger
0 Kudos

what book should we read?
"but why's she got to go to the library?" -Harry
"because that's what Hermione does........When in doubt, go to the library." -Ron (chamber of secrets)
Inspired Correspondent
bookaholic_girl

[ Edited ]
  • OOOOO!!!! Me me me me! I'll join!! I have always wanted to do this kind of thing but no one I knew wanted to. I had even posted a similar thread in here before about doing something like that and no one replied. :smileysad: Oh well. lol. I'd still like to join though. I like reading a bunch of different kinds of books, though not big on major horrors. You know, like Stephen King kind of horror. Although he also wrote Green Mile and Shawshank Redemption.  I have the dvds but would like to read the books.

Well here are some I'd like to suggest that are on my list already to read. I'll try and put a variety of genres:

• Sisters in Sanity by Gayle Forman ( I already read it but it is awesome and I think it would be great for discussions.)
  • North of Beautiful by Justina Chen Headley
  • Tess of the D'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy
  • The Host by Stephenie Meyer
  • Night by Elie Wiesel
  • The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne
  • Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte
  • The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath
  • Two-Way Street by Lauren Barnholdt
  • Letters to a Bullied Girl by Olivia Gardner
  • The Green Mile by Stephen King

If you don't like those suggestions, I have many more.:smileyhappy:

Message Edited by bookaholic_girl on 02-21-2009 01:05 PM
~I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.~
Philippians 4:13
Distinguished Wordsmith
_K3LS3Y_
0 Kudos

ohk well i don't like horror, but thrillers are ohk. i don't mind fantasy books, and realistic fiction are probably my favs.

right now i'm reading treasure island for school, and Coraline (the new movie) but lets ppick a book to read then we can discuss it. :} so what book? haha

Wordsmith
Golden_Reader12
0 Kudos

I'm so glad that so many want to join! Of course anyone is welcome but we would need to find a book that everyone would enjoy. Let's start with books that we have right now (no need to spend more money if we don't have to). I just bought some books:

• Eternal (same author as Tantalize)
  • The Fetch
  • The City of Secrets
  • Gone
  • Host

but I have others too. You guys just make some suggestions and we'll decide together. I think I should mention that I just finished Hunger Games and thought that it was great, so anything like that I would be totally up for!

Wordsmith
Golden_Reader12
0 Kudos

I just wanted to let you guys know ahead of time that I'm not always real good at responding to messages. I just get so busy with school and other stuff, so if I'm not really around just go on and I'll try to catch up but please don't stop on my account.
Inspired Wordsmith
Vampires-and-Spongebob
0 Kudos

Well, I Lurve Fantasy and Sci-fi! I love the Night World series and basically anything by L.J. Smith. Right now my favorite book is Shadow Kiss by Richelle Mead. I love anything with the supernatural (i.e. witchs, vamps, ghosts, faerys, lycans etc.)

booklover37 messaged me saying her favorite genres are fantasy/fiction and reality. She also said she is into vamps/faerys/werewolfs/witchs etc. Lastly, she said she will read anything.

I can't wait to get started in this Club! Here are titles I have not read but are planning to read.

•  Hawksong by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes
  • Night World 2 by L.J. Smith
  • A Great and Terrible Beauty by Lissa Bray

Let's hope we can find a book!

Distinguished Wordsmith
_K3LS3Y_
0 Kudos

i think that since Golden_Reader started this she should pick the first book, then set a reasonable date to finish it.

but she should give us info and tell us about it and see if we want to join on reading that book:} how's that. then Golden can pick the next person to pick a book and repeat the process like that. but that's up to ya'll:}

Inspired Correspondent
bookaholic_girl
0 Kudos

Sounds good to me.
~I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.~
Philippians 4:13
Inspired Wordsmith
Vampires-and-Spongebob
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
That is an AMAZING idea! We should sooooooooooooooooo do that! Kelsey when I take over the world you will be my Second-in-Command! :smileywink:
Message Edited by Vampires-and-Spongebob on 02-21-2009 04:44 PM