Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
anthrospeak
0 Kudos

Book Ideas?

Help me out?

I'm a teen and I've basically gotten tired with all the Sarah Dessen books (I read most of them), and I need some new ideas.  I'm into girly books, but mystery stuff is ok.

I've already read Twilight and Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, so none of those.  

Have any ideas? 

Distinguished Correspondent
D-Vos
0 Kudos

Re: Book Ideas?

Have you tried Remembering Raquel by Vivian Vande Velde? That's some great fiction there, AND it actually has meaning and some emotional resonance for guys too. That's the "girliest" book I can think of that I've actually read.

I think you need to broaden your spectrum; try to read things that don't really fit your pallete right now but could be a major part of your reading in the future. Take in some more genres--just try the best they have to offer, and if you don't like it, try something else.

Hope this has helped you and good luck on your book search!

D-Vos

Distinguished Correspondent
Kyleigh
0 Kudos

Uhm.... Meg Cabot?  I've only read one book by her, but I found it very entertaining.  I'm really not into "girly" books but I could suggest some awesome reads. 

Some great women empowering books are:

-Trickster's Choice and Trickster's Queen(basically anything by Tamora Pierce)

-Beka Cooper

-Graceling

-The Hunger Games 

Hope that helped, somewhat at least.  

"There are two types of people in this world. People who hate clowns...and clowns."
Wordsmith
Golden_Reader12
0 Kudos

One that I thought was really good was Hattie Big Sky

There are also the:

• libba bray series
  •  the luxe series
  •  the Gallagher Girls series

hopes that helps

"There would be little reason to lie down at night without the possibility of seeing things bigger and more amazing than the average day might bring about. Why pick up a pen or type on a keyboard if there's no imagination or wonder left to behold?"
-pg 3 of Leven Thumps and the Wrath of Ezra
New User
Writer_Grl
0 Kudos

OMG!!! I loved the twilight series and cant wait for the new moon movie.  Oh, and sarah dessen is great, too.  There are so many good books out there but the ones that i have been reading lately are Maximum Ride by James Patterson.  I am telling you, you wont be able to put it down.

The city of bones, the city of ashes and the city of glass.  It is an amazing series.

The one that i have most recently been reading is the fever series by karen moning. Dark Fever, Blood Fever and Fae Fever.  They are amazing, but if you're not into those you might like books by scott westerfeld (Uglies, pretties and specials) or mary higgins clark, Lois duncan is a really good mystery book, too.

Contributor
AuntieEm196
0 Kudos

Well you could try the Hunger Games... If you're into Greek myths told from a teen girl's point of view try Oh. My. Gods. And its sequel Goddess Boot Camp by Tera Lynn Childs. If you want to try a more fantasy realm, Eon and Eona by Alison Goodman are about dragons (don't worry, it's not cheesy or too manly or whatever.). Maybe The Iron Fey series by Julie Kagawa or The Book Thief by Markus Zusak.

Hope these suggestions work!

Distinguished Wordsmith
SaraMariaa

City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments Series #1) 

Shiver (Wolves of Mercy Falls Series #1) 

The Night Circus    

“The books that help you the most are those which make you think the most.”
New User
Ali_Mar_Luv
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
I think you will like - The Mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare - The Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead - Almost Perfect by Susan Mallery - Halo by Alexandra Adornetto - The Host by Stephenie Meyer - Fallen by Lauren Kate - Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare - Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick All this novels are my top rated. And each have romance :smileywink: I hope you find anything interesting to read :smileyvery-happy: