Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Wordsmith
random97
0 Kudos

Books You Never Finished

Ok so i hear abouta lot of people not finishing a book.

What books and Why? and how far did you get?

because some people just dont read on enough and dont really give the book a chance! some quit just right before it gets really good!

"I've been making a list of the things they don't teach you at school. They don't teach you how to love somebody. They don't teach you how to be famous. They don't teach you how to be rich or how to be poor. They don't teach you how to walk away from someone you don't love any longer. They don't teach you how to know what's going on in someone else's mind. They don't teach you what to say to someone who's dying. They don't teach you anything worth knowing."
Distinguished Correspondent
Cheyenne_Catina
0 Kudos

Re: Books You Never Finished

there are a lot of books i dont finish...umm...since i began reading...maybe 20? cause it doesnt interest me...with some i make it about halfway...others like a chapter or two...but sooner or later i try again to get through and sometimes im successful
"He is bound to you,” said the Queen. “But does he love you?"
Inspired Wordsmith
Vampires-and-Spongebob
0 Kudos

Hatchet by Gary Paulson. Don't remember what page, don't care. Too boring.
"Behold the male beast roaring in the jungle for his mate. See how the female beast giggles behind a shrub while she organizes her voice to say 'Pardon dear, did you say something?'"~Elphaba, Wicked, pg.102-103
Distinguished Wordsmith
BeeZnEEz101
0 Kudos

To kill a mockingbird

page 100 something

New User
alphabetsoup
0 Kudos

I have never not finished a book...its a habit of mine. Even if they stink I have to finish them eventually. Otherwise there's a nagging feeling in my head until it gets done.

Inspired Correspondent
Facepalm
0 Kudos

Recently been having troubling finishing books, actually.

Fragile Eternity- was awful, just awful.

Flux- I was bored, I guess?

The Crime Writer- I just gave up on that one because I had a mild case of reading ADHD...

I also walked away from As I Lay Dying and Picture of Dorian Gray, but I'll probably go back to those sooner or later.

Oh yes, and I only ever read the first 5 pages of The Martian Chronicles.

team GALE, anyone?
Inspired Wordsmith
twilight_fanatic_01
0 Kudos

There have been a few...there was this one called "Every Soul and Star" that I couldn't even finish because I didn't like the author's writing style. I tend to give my books a couple of chapters before I give up on them.
Inspired Correspondent
Facepalm
0 Kudos

Oh, I read every soul a star. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't really remarkable or outstanding. I sort of loved this little bit they had at the end though about how everyone is made of matter from exploded matter in other universes, and when our universe ends, our matter will become part of new planets.

Or something along those lines. Sorry for the run-on sentence.

team GALE, anyone?
Bibliophile
Silvermist24
0 Kudos

Um, the Uglies book. I read so far, like at least 5/6.
Baby you can drive my car,
Yes I'm gonna be a star,
Baby you can drive my car,
And Baby I love you,
Beep Beep, Beep Beep, Yea!
Frequent Contributor
Love2read34
0 Kudos

I tend to finish books I read and the only one that I have not finished was Secret Life Of Bees. I was depressing right from the start. I can't stand books about abusity but I loved Dreamland by Sarah Dessen. Weird right?
Bibliophile
ZoeyRedbird
0 Kudos

Again watership down i had like 50 pages and was like its not worth it to read about stupid talking bunnies so yeah and

NEVER READ WATERSHIP DOWN IF YOU DONT HAVE TO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"You have to dream before your dreams can come true."
Abdul Kalam
"What great thing would you attempt if you knew you could not fail?"
Robert H. Schuller

Wordsmith
J.R._BookWorm
0 Kudos

Wicked Lovley and Before I Die

and why i didn't finishes them is cuz they were both really boring

and both just got annoying

"I didn't have quite same...upbringing as my adopted siblings here. My begining was something else entirely."
Jasper
~Eclipse~
Inspired Scribe
_mOonSeeKer_
0 Kudos

I never get to finish "Tess of the D'urbervilles"..I found it so boring so I stopped..But I'm already half-way finished when I stopped..ANyone read it?? Is the ending good??
http://whisperinglostwords.blogspot.com
Inspired Wordsmith
random97
0 Kudos

o yaa to kill a mockingbird... we had to read it for my english class and most people didnt finish it... it doesnt get good until like after half way of the book and then its good
"I've been making a list of the things they don't teach you at school. They don't teach you how to love somebody. They don't teach you how to be famous. They don't teach you how to be rich or how to be poor. They don't teach you how to walk away from someone you don't love any longer. They don't teach you how to know what's going on in someone else's mind. They don't teach you what to say to someone who's dying. They don't teach you anything worth knowing."
Inspired Wordsmith
random97
0 Kudos

yaa freakin talkin bunnies my friend read that book and absolutely HATED it.
Inspired Wordsmith
random97
0 Kudos

ok so i should definetly read ALL the messages before i reply lol

so i loved wicked lovely and uglies... im on the third book for both series!

Frequent Contributor
Nataliaxsummer
0 Kudos

i really dont remember the books I never finished. its rare that i dont finish a books but sometimes i dont. i will probely go to the middle of the books and if i still dont like it then I dont finish it.
gotta love Jace!
Cheyenne_Catina
0 Kudos

a lot of te books i dont finish are classics..i like romance a lot but i wan tto read the classics to but sometimes i just cant get into it..like tom sawyer i got to like the last ten chapters..but it was due so yeah

i got to the 2 part on tkam(to kill a mockingbird) im gonna try to reread it this summer

pride and prejudice

Inspired Wordsmith
random97
0 Kudos

pride and predjudice was great! you should give it andother trie. the first few chapters are a little dry, but it helps later on. there may be another dry spot but by the end it great. *my opinion*

Cheyenne_Catina
0 Kudos

yeah i have it from the library..i really want to read it since its considered teh like greatest romance of all time, and i love romance, so...yeah