Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
Alleyney_Filmguy297
0 Kudos

Books that are better than Twilight

Other than everything in the enitre hitory of literacy.....

The Last Apprecntice Series....

Joseph Delaney

Harry Potter....

J.K Rolling....

Eragon Series...

Paloni....he's itallian thus I cannot spell his name...

So I say this while screwing off in my chemistry class... I challnge you twlight fanboys and girls...Do you're worst...for I will do mine...

Frequent Contributor
stefanie_kennedy2000
0 Kudos

Re: Books that are better than Twilight

[ Edited ]

i think the only thing better than twilight is the bible.

but for me that goes witout saying

Message Edited by stefanie_kennedy2000 on 11-03-2008 08:40 PM
&she thanks Jesus for the daises and the roses(:
-jars of clay
Frequent Contributor
katie_mills
0 Kudos

That's pretty hard. Because Twilight incorporates romance and action, which is pretty hard to do. I don't think I've read a book that can do it as well as Twilight.

I just read City Of Bones, and it was really really good, very action-ey and mysterious. But not much romance.

The Summoning is also good, mysterious, but not much romace as well.

"Son, fear is the heart of love."
Wordsmith
shesaxsensation
0 Kudos

nothing.

:smileyhappy:

"For almost ninety years I've walked among my kind, and yours...all the time thinking I was complete in myself, not realizing what I was seeking. And not finding anything, because you weren't alive yet."

- Edward Cullen
Inspired Correspondent
bella_swan_lover
0 Kudos

i agree with Sax i dont think anything can come even close to it but i havent read the Harry Potter Series so i guess they could be better but so far i havent read anything close other than where the red fern grows!!!!

"It will be as if I'd never existed" - Edward

"La Push baby it's La Push. Are you going?" asked Eric
"I'll go if you stop saying that." replied Bella.

~*~ Twilight Fangirl ~*~
Frequent Contributor
WaterLily
0 Kudos

Well I would suggest Laurell K. Hamilton, Kim Harrison, and Kelley Armstrong but they are deffinately adult books. Laurell K. Hamilton is good all the way up to book 8 in my opinion.  Try Amelia Atwater-Rhodes she is a young adult writer her books are In the Forest of the Night, Demon in my View, Shattered Mirror, and Midnight Predator.  They are not a series but they all tie in together they have vampires, shapeshifters, action and romance.  She also has a series out the first two are the best they are Hawksong and Snakecharm.
"In the end family is all that we have"
Inspired Contributor
MadamedeChevreuse
0 Kudos

Many.

Have you read Tamora Pierce? Harry Potter? Lord of the Rings? His Dark Materials? Ender's Game? Ender's Shadow? Shannon Hale? Jane Austen? Graceling? Finding Nouf? Wheel of Time? Countless classics including Jane Eyre, The Three Musketeers, and A Tale of Two Cities?

Twilight is not half bad. But the first book was the best and, honestly, I wasn't that impressed. Sure, it's addicting and bewitching, but it also has no depth. I don't get anything worthwhile from the story, except for perhaps the messages that a regular girl cannot protect herself and even makes stupid decisions that put her even farther into harm's way. And that the perfect relationship contains no anger or disagreement. And that it's okay to feel so utterly attached to someone that you accept it as your fault when they hurt you utterly and irreversibly. And that true dilemmas can only be solved by supernatural means and influences. So, sure, Twilight is a good book. But there are many, many more out there that are much, much better.

A book is like a mirror: If an idiot peers into it, you can't expect an apostle to look out.
Wordsmith
shesaxsensation
0 Kudos

i have to disagree.

i think the book is so much more.

it has everything in it that i love in a book.

it's made me laugh, cry, smile, it's made my heart beat so fast i thought i was going to explode.

that's what makes a book good in my opinion.

bringing out my emotions SO strongly like that really says something.

new moon made me cry more than i cried in the notebook and titanic combined.

i've read harry potter and of course it's great. i love the series but i still don't think anything can touch twilight.

if i had to choose something that would be close to touching it, it would be harry potter no doubt.

"For almost ninety years I've walked among my kind, and yours...all the time thinking I was complete in myself, not realizing what I was seeking. And not finding anything, because you weren't alive yet."

- Edward Cullen
Contributor
Alleyney_Filmguy297
0 Kudos

Ok then.

Well...

I have some qualms with the series...many...many qualms... I am a Vampire Traditionalist, if the vampire doesn't die in the sun, and there is no explanation WHY he can't die in the sun (like SPF3000 sun block, or a mystical amulet, or a ring, or a debt to some spirit or something) then that is not a Vampire. Edward is practically superman, he  and Bella are my definition of a Gary Stu and a Mary Sue.

Last Apprencitce incorparates all aspects of fiction. The Romance is light but I perfer alluded love than to blatently saying it.... Meyer makes emotional abuse look ATTRACTIVE and that SCARES me...

Meyer is basically writing fanfiction about what she wished her HighSchool expierence was like....

and my dear. You have poor taste if you think Potter only "touches it"

An episode of Scrubs makes me feel more "touched" than the entire Twilight saga

Now , ladies and gentleman for your viewing pleasure I have here a synopsis of the entire plot of Twilight

Enjoy.

http://headtripcomics.comicgenesis.com/d/20080505.html

Contributor
Alleyney_Filmguy297
0 Kudos

The Bible without the upsetting bits, right Stefanie?

I am a lapsed Catholic, and I read my bible about as much as I watch Scrubs and House (which is alot)

and I have to say it is a good book.

BUT!

As far as actual books that are meant to be read for nonspiritual reasons (this would exclude all twlight fans cause Edward is a God in thier eyes which is more than mildly disturbing).

ONE piece of Fiction that Touches me more than anything in the whole world....

Is

Rent.

Frequent Contributor
stefanie_kennedy2000
0 Kudos

I dont think edward is a God.

-jars of clay
Wordsmith
shesaxsensation
0 Kudos

vampires are fictional so who are you to say if they can or can not die in the sun?

and um, dont call me "dear".

i really don't have poor taste because i do love harry potter i just think twilight is better.

- Edward Cullen
Frequent Contributor
stefanie_kennedy2000
0 Kudos

oh my gosh

your synopsis was mean and stupid.

I mean what is your point of even doing this?

why dont you just talk about a book you love

good grief

-jars of clay
Distinguished Correspondent
BLUEICEGAL
0 Kudos

ok books i like better

city of bones and city of ashes without a doubt

goodnight beautiful, my best friends girl and chocolate run by dorothy koomson

thanks for the memories, ps i love you cecelia ahern 

all these books are just as touching if not more but just more realistic

Wanna know the awesomeness that is moi??? movies, artists, gossip and the latest reviews of your fav books not to mention my upcoming twilight parody that i am currently working on is all here folks!! @ My Blog Fantasy4eva spread the word girls :smileyhappy:
Fantasy4eva
Wordsmith
shesaxsensation
0 Kudos

it's like antagonist are drawn here.

especially with twilight because people get "oh so annoyed" by twilight.

i dont care if you dont like twilight, you're no one special. :smileyhappy:

- Edward Cullen
New User
ZebraLord13
0 Kudos

Don't get me wrong, twilight is AMAZING but I love Shakespeare, The Inheritance Series, The Pellinor Series, and many mant more. 

However, there is a major problem with Twilight in my life.  I enjoy writing and reading (duh) and I get obsessive over most books (right now The Da Vinci Code, add that to the above list!) but whenever I read Twilight the world around me stops and nothing matters except for Twilight.  So, I get behind in school, music, and my writing.

Twilight is exactly my brand of heroin. 

Contributor
Alleyney_Filmguy297
0 Kudos

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN I HAVE OFFENEDED SOMEONE *Roar of applause from every decent writer since Homer*

I *love* talking about my -hate- for Twlight.

I take edward posters and I used them for kingiling...

And I am someone special... Cause that how I roll... I'm not speical like everyone else... I special like I'm speical.

Frequent Contributor
twilightislove
0 Kudos

what the heck?
"im perfectly capable of driving myself home!" - bella
"of course she was but i wasnt capable of letting her go"- edward
-midnight sun
xoxo
Correspondent
dholland08
0 Kudos

Books that are better than Twilight: Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte, The Sally Lockhart Mysteries by Philip Pullman, Half of a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Ngozi Adiche (an adult book), and Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte.
"Good. I was afraid for a moment that I'd killed you a bit too early."
"Waiting for a special occasion to kill me? Christmas is coming." :smileyhappy:
Wordsmith
shesaxsensation
0 Kudos

alley, what you just said isn't really funny and doesn't make you seem cool.

it just makes you seem like a freak for obsessing over a hate on something.

- Edward Cullen