Frequent Contributor
twilightandgemmafan
0 Kudos

Breaking Dawn Discussion *Spoiler Warning*

*Please don't look at this thread unless you have finished Breaking Dawn*

What are you guy's thoughts on the book? I have mixed feelings. I thought the story was good itself, but it didn't feel like the Twilight series to me. It had too many plot twists, the characters became two dimensional, things weren't fully explained, it had a stupid baby name =], it just seemed to fall apart. I'm not gonna bash it, it was a good story with a good ending, it just didn't live up to my expectations and left me wishing the series ended with Eclipse.

"We're like pretty horses, and just as on horses, they mean to put blinders on us so we can't look left or right but only straight ahead where they would lead.
Please, please, please, Gemma, let's not die inside before we have to."
-The Sweet Far Thing
Contributor
eyesforstriking
0 Kudos

Re: Breaking Dawn Discussion *Spoiler Warning*

I agree with you.  I seemed somewhat detached to this book rather than the last three.  It was good, but I just thought there was too much plot and too much going on.  It felt like every chapter, there was something different going on.  I also missed Edward and Bella's 'old' relationship.  Where they were just two teenagers (if you could call Edward a teen) completely in love.  I really liked Jacob having a "book" because it made him seem more significant than just breaking Edward and Bella's relationship apart.  I was able to put this book down now and again to go do other things, the other ones I wouldn't even sleep!  I feel closure, but I almost think it's loss of interest in what would happen next.  

Don't get me wrong, I still love the series!  I just thought it would be different.
Frequent Contributor
twilightandgemmafan
0 Kudos

eyesforstriking wrote:
I agree with you.  I seemed somewhat detached to this book rather than the last three.  It was good, but I just thought there was too much plot and too much going on.  It felt like every chapter, there was something different going on.  I also missed Edward and Bella's 'old' relationship.  Where they were just two teenagers (if you could call Edward a teen) completely in love.  I really liked Jacob having a "book" because it made him seem more significant than just breaking Edward and Bella's relationship apart.  I was able to put this book down now and again to go do other things, the other ones I wouldn't even sleep!  I feel closure, but I almost think it's loss of interest in what would happen next.  

Don't get me wrong, I still love the series!  I just thought it would be different.

Yeah, I didn't at all connected to the characters. I really missed all of the adorable Edward and Bella moments so much. Now their relationship seemed to all be based on sex, and that's sad. I also liked Jacob's POV. I felt bad for Leah, and I really thought Jacob was going to imprint on her. I wish he did, it would have been a lot less creepy than him and "Nessie", and then Leah could have a happy ending too. I also hated how once Bella became a vampire, she was never herself again. I know how becoming one makes you beautiful, and I accepted that, but her personality changed too. All the quirks and insecurities that she had when she was human were gone. Before she was a vampire, teenage girls could relate to her, but now it feels like she conformed to the same beauty standards and perfection of modern society. I know, being a vampire does change you, but I didn't think her personality would completely change, and she would become boring. Another thing, Edward was barely in the book. He seemed like more of a minor character. All the romance and excitement of Edward was absent from this book. What happened to Bella's lullaby and them declaring their love for each other? It seemed like all the romantic bits that all the teen girls (like me) love were gone after they got married. It was disappointing. Also I found it depressing how Bella could barely remember her human life. I knew that was going to happen, but not on such a high level. Maybe that's why the romance is gone, because she can't remember the beginning of their relationship. I miss Twilight!

"We're like pretty horses, and just as on horses, they mean to put blinders on us so we can't look left or right but only straight ahead where they would lead.
-The Sweet Far Thing
New User
kmws48
0 Kudos

I pretty much agree with you.  While the book was still a pretty good read, the story often felt hollow.  I felt somewhat detatched from the characters, not as close as I had in the other books.  Starting after the wedding it just seemed a bit off.  The characters, especially Bella, began to feel very alien to me.  This only got worse when Bella became a vamp.  She was just too perfect and everything was too easy.

It was somewhat predictable, although I've also felt that about the other Twilight books.  Also it kind of felt like I was, perhaps, trading in the closeness to the characters for a bit of a frenzied plot.  At first I wasn't sure if I would like the story from Jacob's point of view, but I actually really enjoyed that part of the book.  Also sometimes it felt like Meyers was stretching things so that the story would go how she wanted.  For example the whole pregnant Bella thing.  I was a bit shocked when that happened and was curious to see how it would be explained.  I was quite dissapointed by the weak explanation of which I was given.  It wasn't really believable and to me this just brings the book down.  Bella just magically got pregnant and that just doesn't cut it for me.  I also didn't like how how Bella didn't have to give up anything to be a vampire.  She got a kid, she didn't have to give up Charlie or Jacob, and she didn't have to go through the whole newborn thing.  The only real problem was the Volturi at the end which worked out flawlessly.  Plus I didn't like that the honeymoon part so much.  Understandably, it focused a lot on sex.  However, it kind of felt like the honeymoon just kept dragging on and while reading I began to wish that it would end and move on to something else.  Well, I guess I'm done ranting.  It was still a pretty good book, although it could have been way better.  I'd give it about 3 out of 5 stars.

Frequent Contributor
Jess25rocks
0 Kudos

i totally agree with you. the begiining was nice i loved it. bella getting pregnant was very unexpected it just happened. and as i was reading i started to hate rosaliee. and i didnt like how edwardd justt broke down that was so shocking and sad and how the baby hurt bellla. i also miss bella and edwards old relationship. when the physical things didnt matter and they lovedd eachother for who they were. i didnt really see that here. i didnt really see it at all . it was just sex. and in the previous books i felt connected but here i didnt. and many of the characters seemed to me a little ooc. i miss the edward and bella relationship from the previous books. in the other books we have quotes of things edward said to bella and here i could barely get one quote. i feel as if i didnt get enough edward and the cullens. dont get me wrong i liked the book but it was just dissapointing. i feel like it missed a lot of what we originally fell in love with. there was so much action and drama. it was a good book but i expected more. im still love edward though. he rocks :smileyhappy: lol
teamm edwarddd . ilovehim !
New User
samanthashaffer
0 Kudos

I honestly was dissapointed at breaking dawn, I was expecting more, I did feel very complete at the end of this book though, I think stephenie should keep writing from renesmee's perspective though, that might be interisting, I allmost threw up when bella got pregnant, deffinatley not what I was expecting at all, however towards the end of the book, it started pulling me in more, after bella was a vampire, it got a little more interisting, expeshaly how she let edward see her thoughts at the end, that was sweet, the part in jacobs p.o.v. made me like him more, and the book is alot funnier in his perspective, like his thoughts about rosalie! Its nice to get into his head, and have his story told, im glad he imprinted though, or I would have felt bad for him, funny its on bellas child though, and I love how edward wants to kill him after! It irritated me that the begining of the book pretty much was focused on sex, so not how I ever pictured their relatonship, It made me look at the whole thing in a weired way, and it just was never the same between them after the first time, the bond they have with the child is amazing though, thats what makes it so complete for me, I think, now that they are secure with their own little family, in their own little cottage and everything, you know, that they can finaly just be together, and enjoy eachother, It brings new hope to the term 'Forever' and you know that the cullen family has nothing to worry about in the near future, it was a different way to leave, but a fantastic one none the less,

I hope stephenie continues from renesme's pov, or after midnight sun, keeps going, I still dont want it to be over, and I think thats what stephenie wanted, for us to feel complete, but still have glimmers of hope for the new characters brought into the picture in breaking dawn.

-samantha, (secretly wishes she were a cullen!!!)

New User
edward4eva
0 Kudos

Ya, i agree too! I am totally OCd over the book and im a 100% Edward fan BUT the book was not what i expected. I mean half vampire-half human?? a but lame dont u think?? there was too much description with the Volteri (sry if i spelled that wrong) and it just dragged on and on at that part. Not enough description of Edward i should say. After Bella turned into a Vamp, the suspence and romanced died down.

it was good though and i enjoyed it! 

Distinguished Correspondent
esme_cullen24
0 Kudos

I agree that the book was not as...connectable. It might be more connectable with the older women(such as twilight moms) because they have experienced marriage and etc. I mean lots of teens can relate to falling in love with someone they shouldn't necisarilly. I guess Stephenie was doing what she did with Twilight. In many interviews she has stated that Twilight was a book for her. And maybe she relayed it through the book. It did get a new message that I understood because of a book cover theory (i do not know the source) that chess is all about choices and if you make one false move that can ruin everything. In other words life is full of choices good and bad, if the wrong choice is made (maybe like having sex or something) that it can turn your world upside down (becoming pregnant.) Stephenie also relayed a bit of her religion (which in my opinion is a good thing no matter what religion you are because ultimately they relay an image to the public and if you believe something you should stand up for it.) In that Bella kept the baby. I actually kind of liked the name....Well anyway that is all I have to say. Oh and I loved the names for the Jacob chapters!!! They were hilarious!! : )
There are four questions of value in life... What is sacred? Of what is the spirit made? What is worth living for, and what is worth dying for? The answer to each is the same. Only love.-----Emily Dickinson
New User
navychick
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I am absolutely shocked by the all the negativity. 

Breaking Dawn was not like the Twilight series - it was better.  Never in my life have I read something that made me feel anger, glee, hurt, shock, and utter satisfaction within the bindings of a single book, not like that.  Breaking Dawn was an emotional roller-coaster and a full-body experience for me - I laughed, cheered, cried, sat in utter stupefaction, but I never put the book down.  I read it straight through in a little over six hours. 

Bella changed - the timid, translucent (physically and I believe, emotionally) gangly kid finally stepped into her own.  She became a complete woman - none of this half-her-soul-missing-without-a-guy crap, but she held onto her love for Edward even when given the distraction of a baby.  Lots of moms cave, replace their husband with their kids, but Bella managed both. 

The plot was a whirlwind - absolute and irrevocable proof of Stephenie Meyer's genius.  I was shocked time and time again - and when Jacob imprinted on Renesmee, I felt that everything in the world had clicked into place.  Bella's soul split when she had to leave Jacob, and that left a wound.  Jacob's obsession was unhealthy - and now everything is right.  Jacob and Bella can love each other like the best friends they were meant to be.  

I wish Bella had not gotten pregnant so quickly - I know Stephenie's publishers resisted first adding to the series (they wanted to leave it with Twilight), then they pressured her to wrap it up in a trilogy, and her agent had to fight to let her stretch it to four.  I sincerely suspect there was more to book one than we got - the development and perfectly smooth flow of book two is evidence of the author's ability.  Book one was choppy - and Stephanie is anything but concise.  I think we could have had a more complete maturation with two separate books.  Regardless of how I feel about the choppiness of book one, however, the end of the book left me with the clear and utter conviction that Renesmee had to happen.  I was glad Bella got pregnant, I agreed with Rosalie in Eclipse that it was pretty harsh to sterilize herself so soon, I just wish she got to wait a while.  

I absolutely loved the purity of Bella and Edward's physical relationship - let's face it, it's ridiculous to want them to simply make goo-goo eyes at each other for the rest of eternity.  Think of it as freedom - freedom to finally share every element of themselves with each other, utter trust, delight in their spouse, finally able to enjoy every element of this intense tie they have to each other.  I was thrilled that they were so into each other, had such a joy about it - for many, many girls and women out there, sexuality is laced with pain and fear - Bella was protected.  She has never been so real to me as she was when she sat on the floor of the bathroom in a towel, trying to talk herself into going outside to Edward.  The hand-holding was still there, the sacrifice, but it morphed into something else by the confrontation with the Volturi - complete oneness.  

Bella wanted to be a vampire.  She trained for it.  She fought two days of intense pain in silence so she would not hurt Edward; she deserved the delight of finally having things go her way for once.  It crushed me in Eclipse that Bella would have to let go of Charlie, of ever having children - I wanted her to have her own life, for crying out loud.  Personally, it would have taken a great deal for me to want Bella to become a vampire - I agreed with Rosalie - but Stephenie Meyer did it.  I put the book down at the end with the understanding that everything was, finally, perfect.

Message Edited by navychick on 08-04-2008 02:14 AM
Contributor
books-r-my-release
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Oh my gosh you guys! I don't get all the negativity, either. I thought Breaking Dawn was perfect. come on, we all wanted bella to get married and become a vampire and SM gave it to us. she gave us everything we could have wanted. dont get me wrong i wish the pregnancy could have waited a tad bit so we could have more of just bella and edward. BUT... we couldn't seriously excpect that they would get married and NOT have sex and that bella's personality WOULDN'T change once she became a vampire. I think it was done perfectly = )

I got so much closure and at the same time i still wasn't ready to leave the twilight world. and may i just say that the way SM incorporated Jacob's point of view at just the right moment was briliant. i mean i doubt anyone would have wanted to see the pregnancy from Bellas side. and i know this is sad but once again Edward has given me unrealistic expectations. I wish i could just rip him out the book and keep him!! ugh, my poor boyfriend has a lot the live up to now! haha

Message Edited by books-r-my-release on 08-04-2008 02:46 AM
Edward

Enough said
New User
pandastalks
0 Kudos

OKAY GIRLS, Breaking Dawn,.. I have to say I pretty much enjoyed the book, I was not disappointed at the ending rather happy knowing it all went as Bella would have wanted it, YES Edward and Bella lost romance BUT they grew as a couple, Most of you feel their relationship went to fast, I on the other hand wanted them to sleep together the first novel! I also wanted Bella to be a vampire in the first novel, SO for me the biggest disappointment was waiting till the 4th book for them to finally have SEX, and I was SO VERY much disappointed that there were not details of it, only stating that they did have sex, I waited to the end of the book craving more detail of Edwards anatomy! Haha! But it didn’t happen of course, now I know I am a lot older than most of the youth reading this book, I am 23, so me wanting more sex is just natural. The other younger females reading this book have the opposite opinion, they wish it was not based on "sex" so much, and that Bella wouldn’t have gotten pregnant or married so fast, the quickness of the situations in this book was a gasp of relief compared to the slow pace of the other 3 novels, (not that I didn’t love them) Another thing is that Bella did yes change after becoming a vampire, but what did you expect? Her to be a clumsy vampire? We all know Bella’s beauty from the being and its good she embraces it now, so she isn’t insecure?? So what? She CAN”T be with a baby, she has to care about another life, there are no mistakes in that, so grow up and understand her responsibilities and forget her being 18, she’s an adult don’t make her be a child forever ladies, one day you will have to grow up too, I also loved that Jacob had a side in the book, not that I was ever wanting him to be with Bella over Edward but rather he himself found closure, now that that closure was with Renesmee I completely disagree that is sick and I find it very pedophileish! What about poor Leah, I think a late imprint on her perhaps if she got seriously injured then recovered would be much better than a sick ass Jacob and a baby, GROSS, but I like I said before OVERALL with the volturi and such, I didn’t worry I knew SM was going to end it on a happy note, after all she would have millions of fans castrating her if she didn’t right>?

-Cheers Edward lovers!!!

New User
militarybound
0 Kudos

I also am very surprised at the amount of negativity not only her but on other websites as well.  I am not very involved in the fanfiction universe, but have read the series since the beginning and thought it was awesome.  Breaking Dawn to me was the best book in the series, Because it gave new insight into characters and realationships I had never paid much attention to before.  I thought that the book felt like several books in one, but that that feeling just made the book even better. As far as the Edward Bella relationship goes I thought it was very realistic the way their relationship turned out, to me they were like most newly married couples who love each other, and are expieriencing new life together and sex is a huge part of that for newlyweds.  I loved this book because it delved more into the werewolve relationships and I think it set up the posssibility of Stephenie Meyer going further into that lifestyle with a series abouth the werewolve(or should I say shapeshifters) pack.  I loved it couldn't put it down.  It is the first book in a very long time that I have read without wondering what time it is or when yhe book would just hurry up and get to the good part, because to me the book was great.
Reader
reensters
0 Kudos

As with many people, the book was not what I expected.

I started reading the book Friday night (after I picked it up at a release party) and I started reading it. I got about half way through it. I put it down to go to sleep. The next day my boyfriend messaged me and asked me how the book was going, and I realized at that point that I could have honestly never pick it up again. Everything in the book dragged on and on, which was very frustrating. I thought it was stupid that the baby was making Bella so miserable. I just didn't get it.

As for the sex. For 3 books now they have been looking lovey-dovey and holding hands. They are 18 years old (well, 18 and 17, but essentially, my point is they are young adults). Bella has been asking for this for a book now and just wanted to share everything with Edward that she possibly can. She now has all of him and that's a very special feeling. They love each other, and there is nothing wrong with it when it's with the one you love. Especially when they are married. Someone brought up the point of Bella in the bathroom in the towel, which is a very "human" reaction to the whole thing. I totally "got" that part of the story. Except for how she got pregnant. How could they not think about that possibility?

The Jake part. I have to admit I was a HUGE Jake fan, but I am at peace with what happened. It is a little creepy that he imprinted on Bella's daughter, but ironic that Bella had such a hard reaction when Jake told her that one of his pack imprinted on a young girl and she found it gross. It's nice that they can still love each other, especially from all the stuff they were put through over the past few years, yet, not him getting in the way of her and Edward's relationship.

One other thing threw me during the book. Keeping in mind this book is written for young adults. We're talking teenagers. At one point in the book Bella asked Jacob if he was ever going to go to school again and he said he would go back once this all calms down. The book took place during at least a 3 month period (probably longer, but AT LEAST 3 months). Essentially Jake was at Bella's beckoning call most of it, so we can assume he was out of school for a while. Is that the right impression to be putting on high school kids? That school is not important? Jake must be in his senior year by now (or at least junior). Does he plan on just hanging out with Bella, Edward, and the baby for the rest of his life? 

Frequent Contributor
twilightandgemmafan
0 Kudos

Yeah, I understand you guy's points. It was a good book, I'm not trying to be completely negative. I did like it for the most part. I guess I had trouble realizing that they were not teenagers anymore. Myself being a teenager, I wish they still were. I wanted them to get married and everything, but I guess I didn't want things to change too much even though that was inevitable. I liked the idea of Edward and Bella having sex and the idea of Bella becoming a vampire better than when it actually happened. It still bothered me that their whole relationship became sex. I know they are married and whatever, but most teenage girls can't relate to that. Even the quote on the back of the book which everyone thought would be Bella becoming a vampire turned out to be about sex. Even though this book was cleaner than most young adult books, the concept of marriage and a child seemed more aimed towards adults. I know a bunch of adults read them (like my mom =) but the main fan group is based off of young girls. I did like at the end though, how Bella let Edward see into her mind about what it felt like when they first met. I thought that was really sweet. But then of course it led to sex. I thought the perfect end would have been the two of them in their meadow, but it is understandable for them to be in their cottage representing their new life. Sorry for all this negativity, I really did like the book in the long run. I guess whatever Stephenie Meyer decided to write, the was going to be negativity. I know a lot of people are complaining about the anticlimactic battle with the Volturi, but if they was a battle, most likely people Bella loved were going to die, and they would make fans angry too. So even if the ending seemed a little too fairy tale perfect, I guess people would be a lot angrier if things didn't turn out so well. 

-The Sweet Far Thing
New User
militarybound
0 Kudos

I understand your points too, I also am a teenager, but I tend to think from a more adult perspective.  I agree that some of the book seemed more aimed towards adults and its easy seeing how SM did that seeing asd many of her audiences read The Host an adult novel.  I 100% agree in the sense that this book seemed to be more about the characters leaving childhood behind and refining who they are as people vs.  the other books where it seems like everyone is on the journey to self discovery.  This book seemed more a bout completion. The other main point I agree with you on is that if Bella would have lost someone at least one part of a fan based would have been furious.
Frequent Contributor
twilightfan108
0 Kudos

I dont get the negativty.

Breaking dawn was the best book ever for me and its so sad this is actually the end of the series. Everything came toghther and made u wonder at first you had to admit they made the book intretsing.

i loved reneseme even though i can never picture pronucing her name i cried when she said goodbye to her mom.

Bella is so much better in this book. She finally found her slf and shes so awesome its hard to explain.

I finished the book in 2 days and 10 minutes.

Frequent Contributor
twilightfan108
0 Kudos

I think stephine meyer could have been a little more carfel. she didnt go into much details of how bella got pregnant but that could turn away some potienl readers if she does not realize half ofher reaers are teen or pre teen girls.
New User
Wiskers
0 Kudos

I was surprised by the critical reviews that I first read.  I thought that Stephanie Meyer did the only thing she could to give her characters a happy ending.  Who wants to read a book that ends with at best, Jacob and Renesme getting away?  Who wants to read a book about two vampires going to college, one a newborn who can't control herself.  Meyer was limited in the possibilities of creating an interesting, fulfilling novel, and I think she did it.  I think she rounded the series off nicely.  I was shocked that Bella got pregnant, but then I thought that her explanation made enough sense for the novel, unless you are all going to tell me that vampires and shape-shifters do exist out there.  I mean, you can't expect everything to mesh with reality when there are so many fantastical creatures and powers.  I was very glad for the sexual relationship because I felt as if Bella was willing to give up her humanness for it and deserved it once they were married.  It shows how deeply in love she and Edward were.  I was glad that Jacob and Bella's connection was finally explained, but put off by the idea of Jacob and Renesme being together, initially.  It grew on me just like Jacod and Edward grew on each other.  I was also very glad that Bella got to have such a significant role in the fight, although she, being modest, still did not realize it as such an important thing.  I don't think her personality changed at all.  She was still the same old Bella, no confidence, quick to anger, but she was more gifted than before.  She was not forced to lose the things she loved the most.  I thought Stephanie Meyer did an excellent job with the end of this series.
Contributor
yourgirlie
0 Kudos

Not finished yet, but wanted to make a few statements:

1.  Jacob imprinting on Renesmee?  Totally saw that one coming.

2.  Renesmee?  Really?!  C'mon, Bells, be more creative.  Bleh.

3.  The narration of Bella getting pregnant made me feel like I was reading over the top fan fiction.

Don't get me wrong, I am enjoying the book, but it doesn't feel like I am reading the Twilight Saga at all.  It IS a good story, but not the story I've been reading since Twilight was released.  Bella didn't feel the same to me.  Everything seems OOC and backward. 

I've still got about 200 pages or so to go, so I hope it starts feeling like the saga again.

Gotta say, though, Jacob has grown on me in this one.  Seeing things through his head has really changed my perspective on his whole story.  Used to think he was just selfish and immature, but now I can relate to the pain he was going through.

That's all I've got right now...be back after I finish the book. 

Urgh. *Can't get 'Renesmee' out of her head*

New User
Vintage1977
0 Kudos

I couldn't agree with you more. Thank you for putting it so eloquently!
I am beginning to think that all of the people that really hate this book have either never:
a. been in love (and/or married)
b. been pregnant
c. never really understood the characters to begin with
d. read this book too quickly and/or skipped sections because they thought it was boring (as I myself did some during New Moon-but then I re-read it and understood it better) 

I do agree that SM probably did write more to this story, but was edited back some. I can't understand those that don't agree with the outcome or plot lines. She has said all along that she writes for herself. She wouldn't try to change the story just to make everyone happy. This is really were she feels the characters are going. 

I also had just finished re-reading the saga last Friday, so to me, this book flowed right along with Eclipse. I personally felt this was the best of the books because Bells finally gets what she really wants and she becomes a beautiful young woman in the process (and not at NO COST as many have stated)!