Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
Alabelle
0 Kudos

Re: Breaking Dawn Discussion *Spoiler Warning*

My Breaking Dawn rating on a 1-10 scale (10 being highest): 6.5

Overall, I liked the book. It was a really good story. I could really feel the emotions, you know? When Bella was nervous and afraid about having sex with Edward, I felt it. Whenever Edward had to ask Bella to drink blood and Jacob was all grossed out, I was grossed out, too!

I didn't like the baby's name that much. I just had to keep flipping back to the page where it has the pronunciation because I couldn't remember how to say it! I don't like it how Charlie ends up knowing. It's just too perfect. I also don't like Charlie's need-to-know attitude about all of this. I guess it's his personality, but I just didn't like it. I wouldn't like my father to have a need-to-know attitude about my life.

I didn't like how any time Edward and Bella would kiss after they got married, it turned to sex. I mean, I get it that they're married and so they're not doing anything wrong, but I mean... of course, Stephenie didn't write the sex part. I wasn't really expecting her to. But when Edward and Bella would kiss we'd be right there with Bella feeling what she feels, you know? And with sex we miss it and I feel kind of like I missed a part of Bella's life... I don't know if that makes any sense...

I didn't like it how after the Volturi went away Bella started calling Renesmee Nessie. I thought it was a stupid nickname, too, and if I were Bella I would have refused to call her that, too. I mean she even called her Nessie in the non-dialogue parts. I don't get why Bella would do that.

However, I did like part with Jacob's POV. It took me a while to fully appreciate it, but when looking at the book as a whole, I really liked it. I mean, there wasn't much we could get with Bella's POV at that point with her just sitting around all day drinking blood and having her ribs being broken, you know?

I like it how Bella got a superpower, after all. :smileyhappy:

I liked Bella's interaction with J. Jenks. She's finally the beautiful indimidating vampire that makes men's heartrates accelerate and sweat. It was cool. :smileyhappy:

I was very surprised at the thing with Alice. I would rack my brain trying to figure out where she and Jasper had gone and came up with nothing. I liked it that Alice didn't really abandon them, after all. :smileyhappy:

I like it when Bella ends up being the hero at the end and saving everyone from Jane's smiles and Alec's stares and Chelsea trying to break their bonds.

I kind of feel like the book could've ended at the end of the chapter where Bella beats Emmett at arm-wrestling and then crumples the rock and says that she found a place where she truly shined. If all that immortal-child stuff hadn't been there at the beginning, I think it could've ended. But I liked the ending with the Volturi and the immortal children stuff and Irina. I kind of felt like it was just tying up loose ends, though.

But this book felt VERY different from the first 3. I feel like I can't even compare it with them because they're just so different, you know?

It didn't quite live up to my expectations. But all in all, I liked it and it was good ending. I admit I read the last few lines several times, soaking in every word, not wanting it to end. But it did. :smileysad: 

Frequent Contributor
i_dream_in_twilight
0 Kudos

i dont get all the negativity either!

Breaking Dawn is a completely awesome book, and honestly, this is how the majority of us wanted things to turn out! we wanted:

a) bella to be a vamp--she was

b) edward to turn her--he did

c) bella to have a gift--she does

d) jake to imprint on someone--he did

e) something exciting and dramatic to happen (this is the Twilight Saga)--lots of stuff happens

i think the reason everybody is freaking out is because we got all this, but it all came with a twist. bella's a vamp because edward turns her because she's dying because she got pregnant. bella has a gift and she uses it to save everyone from the Volturi (the drama for the book). Jake imprints on someone, it just happens to be renesmee. and honestly, i love renesmee's character. i think bella should get to have a family with edward. she deserves it. and we all knew she'd be different when she was turned, she can't be klutzy forever! bella and edward have a romantic relationship, thats no different, its just the fact that there's less teen angst about it. bella is a vampire and a mother now, she's finally an adult, so her romantic relationship /w edward is more adult too. i just loved the book. but, since this seems to be a point of major freakage, i'll ask this question. exactly WHAT is wrong with renesmee/bella getting pregnant???

New User
plug_3444
0 Kudos

overall, i loved the book.  the twilight series is awesome.  Unfortunately though, I liked it substantially less than the other 3 books.  it didn't seem to fit in with the other three.  It was kinda detached don't you think?  Unlike the other books, I was able to put it down to other things, which was impossible with the other three, excet new moon (I couldn't handle it)  Okay, that part with Bella getting prego, that was really, really bizzare.  I did not see THAT one coming.  I thought it seemed that Stephenie Meyer munipulated the series Just so she could have Bella pregnant.  I mean, isn't edward's body basically dead??? how is it that his sperm is still alive???  I was definitely confused.  Not too mention, the whole pregnant part went on and on for hundreds of pages!!! i was actually going in me head "Pop out already!!"

I do have to say I liked it when it was in Jacob's point of view.  That was very interesting.  I have to say, after I read Breaking Dawn, I changed from a jacob hater to a Jacob Lover!!!  Seth was freakin awesome too!!

which brings me to something else, EDWARD WAS BARELY IN THE BOOK!!!  Well, it seemed that way to me.  He seemed like a minor character.  Plus it seemed that Renesmee (a really stupid name in my opinion)  loved him far, far less than bella.  I mean sure, she was the one that almost died, but seriously, show love to the dad!!!

And then the part with bella turned into a vampire.  that really annoyed me.  She doesn't seem to be bella anymore.  the person whom many teenage girls could relate with is gone!  plus, there was barely any edward and bella moments that made me giggle and squeal like all the rest of the books.  there relationship seemed to be based on sex.  except for the ending, but that was like the one exception.  and it was kind of wiered how new moon and eclipse was like a love triangle with bella, edward and jacob, now it's just wiered.  so jacob and renesmee's baby is going to be like one third human, one third werewolf, and one third vampire???  won't Aro get a kick out of that.  Oh, and the part when Alice and Jasper left made me sad.

so all in all, i still loved the book, it could have been better, but, yes, still loved it.  It had it's key moments.  The arm wresting match with Emmett - hilarious!

New User
plug_3444
0 Kudos

one thing i just have to mention, that part after edward and bella "do it" on their honeymoon, the part where edward was (quote from bella: "You're ruining my buzz Edward!")  when he was calling himself a monster, i couldn't help but laugh.  it was kind of funny. =P
New User
booksamillion
0 Kudos

i am seriously starting to think i read

the wrong book.

because what i reaD?

it was FILTH.

New User
cloudy_days
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

To be honest, I really don't know how I feel about this book. It's mixed feelings I suppose. I LOVED that Bella loved to be married to Edward (about time), Edward turned her into a vampire, and didn't end up with Jacob. Let's be honest, this is what the majority of the people wanted right?

But then, there's this other part of me thats like "I did not like this as much as the other books." I think it's because the characters didn't feel the same. The tone in which Bella spoke in was different. Alice didn't seem to be as close to Bella in this book and Edward was somewhere in the backround... etc. Yeah, okay, people have to change, but it was kind of sad to let go and have to meet the new Bella or the "new" couple Edward and Bella. But then again, it's something I have to deal with =P.

What I really liked about this book was Jacob's point of view. I was never really a Jacob fan, but after this, I really really like him. =D

Message Edited by cloudy_days on 08-04-2008 06:10 PM
New User
Angsters1979
0 Kudos

I am totally confused by all the negativiity posted on here too.  I think that Bella stayed true to herself even though she changed into a vampire...hello?  she took off the stiletto heels and ripped part of the dress that Alice dressed her in when she first transformed into a vampire.  Also, after their first night in the cottage Edward found Bella some jeans and a cotton t-shirt to wear as opposed to the other designer stuff alice had there for her.   That proves she was still herself in many ways with the added bonus of her vamp tricks.  I think this book showed a lot of growth in the characters.  Stephene couldn't write everything the same because in real life people grow and change while still keeping a real sense of who they are.  

The fact that Bella and Edward had a child was magnificent and totally unexpected and I am so thrilled that she got to experience that part of life.  Why people find it so hard to believe that Rennesmee is a half human and half vampire is hard for me to understand  because we are reading about ficitonal characters anyway that live in a world where vampires, werewolves and "shapeshifters" live.  Get over it...she had a kid  and I thought it was sooo cute how they were trying to be parents and the Cullens were just spoiling her.  In this world, the Cullens have denied themselves to be moral and not take lives of those around them so I thought it a sweet reward that they all had a new baby to love and ad to their family.  I thought this book went beyond what I expected and I wouldn't have Stephenie change it at all.  I do think she will keep writing about Jacob's and Rennesmee's love story I thought breaking dawn was a good jumping off point to that story.  

Contributor
purplephoenix
0 Kudos

Did anyone else get the impression that Breaking Dawn was different than the other books, in the writing I mean? The characters felt different. Ex. in Eclipse it seemed Rosealie and Bella were finaly getting along, but in BD it seemed like she was purposely waiting for Bella to die so she could steal her kid( Renesmee?! Seriously why name a kid that? What a mouthful!). And Alice would never have avoided Bella when she was pregnant just because of the fetus or whatever. But the characters just felt wrong, and I personally don't think the rest of the Cullens were in it enough. Don't get me wrong I love Breaking Dawn, I've already reread it at least 5 times, it just feels more like fanfiction characters rather than Stephanie Meyer characters. Plus am I the only one dissapointed that we didn't get to the Volturi get thier butts kicked into the next county? I mean seriously, Jane and Caius were just asking for a beat down. I still love Twilight though, and you do get a feeling of closeure, but I hope Stephanie isn't done with the Twilight universe just yet.
New User
DaniELLEx3
0 Kudos

I was truly disappointed with Breaking Dawn. It felt like a completely different series by a completely different author. I hated the fact that Jacob narrated part of it, even though I see why that was necessary.

My biggest problem with the book, however, was Bella. She changed from being a somewhat "average" High School Student, to a doting new mother. As a high school student, I could relate to Bella while reading the book. As I am not a mother, at least at this point, I could in no way relate to her feelings during pregnancy, or the feelings she felt towards her daughter. I understand that these feelings are like nothing else, but seeing as I have never experienced them, I could not relate to Bella in this book.

A lot of people seemed to be upset over the relationship between Edward & Bella in this book. I thought it was fine. Though not as descriptive as it had been in previous books, it was still obviously just as involved. It could not have been as descriptive without being crude. 

Edward imprinting on Nessie? A little ridiculous. I actually heard this spoiler before I read the book, and I laughed at how crazy that sounded.  I was so shocked when it was true. 

I've heard a bunch of criticisms over the name Renesemee. I actually really like this name. It's nice how she combined the names of both her & Edward's parents. It was really nice.  

I like the way it ended. Everything was settled, without an epilogue 20 years in the future to mess things up. 

Frequent Contributor
twilightandgemmafan
0 Kudos

Vintage1977 wrote:
I couldn't agree with you more. Thank you for putting it so eloquently!
I am beginning to think that all of the people that really hate this book have either never:
a. been in love (and/or married)
b. been pregnant
c. never really understood the characters to begin with
d. read this book too quickly and/or skipped sections because they thought it was boring (as I myself did some during New Moon-but then I re-read it and understood it better) 

I do agree that SM probably did write more to this story, but was edited back some. I can't understand those that don't agree with the outcome or plot lines. She has said all along that she writes for herself. She wouldn't try to change the story just to make everyone happy. This is really were she feels the characters are going. 

I also had just finished re-reading the saga last Friday, so to me, this book flowed right along with Eclipse. I personally felt this was the best of the books because Bells finally gets what she really wants and she becomes a beautiful young woman in the process (and not at NO COST as many have stated)!

The majority of the readers are teens. Therefore they most likely have not truly been in love or married. And hopefully most of them aren't pregnant. So they can't relate to this new book too well. Stephenie's new book seemed to be for the mothers and wives of the Twilight fandom who can relate to them. And I'm sure most people do understand the characters and didn't skim the book, so it is just their opinion of the novel.

"We're like pretty horses, and just as on horses, they mean to put blinders on us so we can't look left or right but only straight ahead where they would lead.
Please, please, please, Gemma, let's not die inside before we have to."
-The Sweet Far Thing
New User
AMoonlessNight
0 Kudos

I think it was pretty good.

I don't want to bash it at all or anything, because I want to stand by the books that I love even thought the last book wasn't as great as anticipated by many people.

Ugh. What I extremely dislike the most, however, is that there was no battle scene at all. It seems like it took so much pages and chapters for the Volturi to decide whether to attack the Cullens and the other clans, but in the end, it didn't even happen! The ending was too perfect, and it didn't give me much emotion to cry like I did in New Moon and Eclipse.
"Live like you're at the bottom, even if you're at the top."
-JB
Frequent Contributor
twilight_girl
0 Kudos

okay, before anyone says anything else about negativity, i do like the book. some parts made me laugh, (jacob's names for chapters, how he annoys rosalie, emmet annoying bella) others made me cry (renesmee saying goodbye to her mama, the last two words of the books) and others made me smile (the wedding, renesmee growing on all the different vamps). i have good and bad, because that is how i am. please don't think that im thinking oh, worst book ever, kind of stuff, i just like to say certain things.

so, book one. i like how bella and edward are getting married, cuz ive been waiting for that since new moon. the wedding scene was just so perfect, it was one of my fav parts of the book. i also love how when bella hears that it is called isle esme, and that it was a gift, "this is where edward learns his generosity" i also love where the two guys are discussing her "before" car, and how a tank could'nt stop it. that really made me laugh. but on the other hand, i don't like how the honeymoon goes. i don't know, just that it goes on for a while.

book two. i love jacobs name for the chapters. i laughed at pretty much all of them. i loved how close him and leah got, how they kinda understood each other without reading their thoughts. but with how bella goes, it just drags on for a long time. someone else wrote "i was thinking in my head, just pop out already!" i understand that completly. i mean, okay, so its not going to take nine monthes for it to be born. but it shouldn't take nine mothes to read it.

book three. this would have to be my 2nd fav book, jacob's being #1. i love how bella goes through the pain so edward wouldn't have to see it. i also loved the hunting scene. i think that stephenie should've put more scenes like this in, just to show how vampy bella really is. ok, so she goes hunting once. edward has to go every 2 weeks, and he's a practiced vampire. she goes for 3 montes. i know that she has gone other times, but i would still like to know how they went. the ending. oh. my. god. i cried when i read the last two words, cuz i still had so many questions left in my head. Is the volturri going to get their butt whooped, or not? How is Jacob and Renesmee's relationship going to work out? How is Bella going to do as a vampire, later? will jacob join the family? whats it going to be like when renesmee gets older? so many questions, but no answers. other wise, the ending was good, if not left hanging. i mean, i am really obsessed with their lives, so i want to know from begining to end, but still, ???????

over all, breaking dawn was not so much as an ending as a begining, because of all the stuff in the end ends really quickly. it just makes you wonder, so whats happening now? but i still loved it as i love all the other books. i also wish that edward wasn't so much of a minor character, and that he was a bigger hero. i love the book, and i love the saga. it just ended to quickly, like sm has something else up her sleeve.

Contributor
kremlinmirrors
0 Kudos

I agree with many people about the book - it was good, but just not good enough. There was too much packed in with not enough emotion, and I didn't feel that it did the series justice. It certainly got better as it went along, but then Renesmee showed up and I just wanted to kill the name.
Frequent Contributor
CuzEveryoneLovesACullen
0 Kudos

I have to admit, I was a little disappointed in this book.  It was more about Jacob and Nessie than it was about Bella and Edward.  Now, don't get me wrong, I love Jake and I'm glad he found someone.  But I thought the saga was supposed to be about Bella and Edward's relationship and the ups and downs they faced.  I know there are a lot of Team Jacob people out there but Jake originally came in as a side character and then was rejected by Bella after his character developed some more. I think he should have faded into the background more at that point.

I also miss the fluffy romance between Edward and Bella.  You barely saw any sweet moments with them together, and even then they all seemed sex centric.  What happened to cuddling and chaste kisses on the cheek?

That being said, overall I though this book was good.  I was glad Bella got everything she wanted and then some.  Who couldn't want a happy marriage with the love of their life, a beautiful bouncing baby, and immortality?  It was nice that everything was also tied up without major tragedy. I was almost afraid that SM would go J.K.Rowling and kill a major character. It was nice that all our favorite characters survived! 

xXxXxXxXx
If we know the way we're gonna die, through all the rest we will survive ~The Academy Is... LAX to O'Hare
Yue
Frequent Contributor
Yue
0 Kudos

I actually thought it came full circle. I mean "Eclipse" left a few holes didn't it?

Bella got married to Edward. She was finally turned into a vampire. The Volturi thing got resolved somewhat. Jacob finally found his mate. I mean is there something that's missing? I know that the end of the book left some questions unanswered about the Volturi, but I mean come on. What else could she have but in "Breaking Dawn" that would've made it better?

I liked the fact that Rosalie and Emmett was shown more in the fourth book and that we we're able to sympathize with her. I liked the fact that Renesmee (Nessie) was revealed because it gave us more insight to what would happen if Edward and Bella had a child. I also loved the idea that Jacob imprinted on Nessie and found his soulmate in life. At least this way Jacob would still be a part of Bella's life. A transition occurred that was very subtle; Bella became more of a mature and maternal figure that showed how she had grown throughout the series. A very hard thing to do as a writer and I think that Stephenie Meyer more than accomplished that task.

"All happy families are alike; each unhappy family is unhappy in it's own way." ~Leo Tolstoy
Frequent Contributor
weirdpanda3
0 Kudos

i thought it was a good book not as good as the first ones i could actually put this book down and come back to it later.i still love the series but there was something missing.people kept telling me that they couldnt have a baby but they did thats so cool.i did like the fact that she got her happy ending but the ending felt like there could still be another book even though this is the final one.I cant wait to get the encyclopedia thing and then midnight sun.
New User
Naty
0 Kudos

I feel pretty much the same way as everyone does about the fourth and final book. I feel as if I were to compare it to the other 3, which were all very close to perfection, this one couldn't quite compete or live up to the expectations. Don't get me wrong, I did very much enjoy the book but it didn't awe me the way the others did. I missed the compelling love story between Edward and Bella. I also hoped to read about bella's struggles to become the vampire she always wanted to be. the fact that it was all so easy for her kind of took away form all the anticipations and hopes left behind from the previous books.

I also HAVE to point out a MAJOR mistake in the book that I caught the moment I saw it on the page. The part where Edward and Bella are on their honeymoon and he is explaining to her the "Libishomen" I right away noticed the mistake in that part. First and foremost it is spelled LOBISHOMEN and quite frankly it has NOTHING at all to do with vampires. The direct translation of lobishomen in "wolf man" and if I used that description to qualify a mythical creature I would be a werewolf and not a vampire. So of all the Stephenie Meyer fans out there let her know the mistake because if I knew how to get in touch with her I most definitely would. And just so people don't think I'm hating I'm not I was born and raised in Brazil and speak fluent Portuguese so I would know....

Other than that I look forward to Stephenie's new project that she's had decided to move on with which tells the story of the first book through Edward's eyes.

New User
Cad2010
0 Kudos

I loved Breaking Dawn!!! Maybe the reason everyone felt disconnected is because the characters grew up. I loved the wedding and was surprise Jacob showed up then upset... The honeymoon was fine in my opinion, a new married couple found love on a different level. I didn't think at all that it was based around sex. When Bella got pregnant I was surprise, I liked the twist I just hated that Edward didn't play a bigger role and step up. Im a HUGE team Edward fan, and after awhile was annoyed with Jacobs book it seemed repetitive to me, but in the end it grew on me. I was so happy that Jacob imprinted on Nessie just because Jacob couldn't live without Bella, and he got a piece of her in a way.  At first ill admit it wasn't my favorite book (while I was still reading it I didn't like it at all) but when I finished, it I have to say I loved it. The characters grew up which everyone has to do when u have a family and your loved once lives are on the line. The book was very well written made me laugh, cry, I was surprised, and sad. Not all writers can write with that much emotion in the book. I really hope Stephenie continues with Renesmee's point of view when she is older. Stephenie did a great job writing these book and left you wanting to know what happens once Nessie is older, we have never heard of a part-human part-vampire!!

Thank You So Much Stephenie for these book they are amazing!!!

I really hope each book is made into a Movie, and please follow the books as much as possible!!

-Courtney :smileyhappy:

New User
militarybound
0 Kudos

I agree this book is very much different than the other books but that's why I liked it.  I have been reading the books since twilight first came out and I have grown as a person as well so the growth of the characters really made sense to me.  I can see how for a younger reader this book is way out of the ball park as some of the things in the book seemed to me.  With Bella's pregnancy though I have never been pregnant and still in my teens and I really related to it.  I think her maternal since can also be interpreted as her feeling like she can give Edward and the Cullins something they never thought they could have a child member of the family.  Not to mention she could just be realizing that life is precious and feel like she has no right to take that away especially after some comments made in the book by Rosalie and Carlisle talking about how you shouldn't take the decisions of others for granted.  I do however think this book was targeted at older fans of the series not so much the preteen or early teen readers.
Contributor
Glastenan
0 Kudos

Starting to agree with booksamillion on the "filth" thing. The book made me physically ill--literally, physically ill. I like vampire stories, but there is such a thing as TOO graphic, TOO bloody. And seriously, I've gotta wonder what SM's obsession is with werewolves imprinting on TINY LITTLE GIRLS. Not to mention, NEWBORN BABIES. SICK and wrong on SOOOOO many levels. Yeah, I get it isn't supposed to be sexual but SERIOUSLY, enough already with the borderline pedophilia. I liked Jake better until he imprinted on Renesmee (and WHAT is WITH that NAME? YUCK). After that, he became creepier and creepier. And Bella just let him tell her what to do with her own baby daughter. Whatever, SM. I am disappointed.