Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
something_witty
0 Kudos

Re: Breaking Dawn Discussion *Spoiler Warning*

Yeah, well, you know what they say about Marriage killing romance.
I'm sorry. My wit escapes me. I'll catch it again eventually.
New User
Edward_Bella_Nessie
0 Kudos

I totally agree with you.  The teenage girls don't relate to her in this book because she is no longer that girl.  She is a wife and mom. That totally changes you, and they don't get that concept.  Me, being a wife and mother absolutly loved this book.  And you said it all.  Thank you.
~Did you know 'I told you so has a brother, Jacob? His name is shut the hell up
New User
kinj10
0 Kudos

Hi everyone,

Personally, I believe that Breaking Dawn was a great addition to the Twilght series, and I'm very grateful that Stephenie Meyer decided to write this book. Of course, every book has to have a down point and I think I agree that the ending was a surprise---I don't really mind that a new problem kept starting, but I was REALLY expecting an "epic" fight at the end, and was a bit shocked when the Volturi simply walked away. However, I am generally pleased with Meyer's work, and i couldn't help almost crying when I read the words, "the end". :[ Also, I agree with one of you (can't remember who said this), this was the only twilight book which i could actually sleep without nearly dying of curiosity and anxiety!!

Frequent Contributor
twilight_fan01
0 Kudos

i on the other hand disagree i liked what happened there were alot of twists and it made it very interesting it made me want to read more i couldnt put the book down it was everything that i wanted it to be and well i actually think that bella's relationship was better then ever they didnt have to be so careful with each other they can just be careless and loving in a way that they had never been before there realationmship took of very fast and i think that it just took a while to get ussed to but it was ver wonderful
" I'm tired of trying to stay away from you Bella" - Edward

" I think she's having a hysterics maybe you should slap her" - Alice
Frequent Contributor
twilight_fan01
0 Kudos

exactly this book could not have been better everything about it was amazing things that we thought were impossible happened it fufilled all of its expactations and more i never felt more connected to all of the characters

i finally understood all the pain that jacob had gone through becuz of bella and i respect him and somewhat feel his pain i also understand why it was so hard for bella to let him go even though she was with edward its not an easy decision and how they could be amazing parents and still share the love for each other that they had since the beginnning

it had alot of drama and problems yea but i think that that is why its so good it wasnt like anything that had ever happend to them it was more but the fact that they could overcome everything was amazing they had a happy  ending

everything that happened i think was inavoidable i mean really u couldnt have just expected for them to have a baby and have no drama having the baby was good cuz that was part of why edward didnt want to change bella he didnt want to take bella's human expericences from her and that was kind and loving of him they got everything that they wanted and some other things but all the drama eexplained alot of things about some of the other vampires and Nessie and Bella got her power and she got to save people the pain that they would have had to endure cuz of Jane or Alec

" I'm tired of trying to stay away from you Bella" - Edward

" I think she's having a hysterics maybe you should slap her" - Alice
Contributor
alyssasal
0 Kudos

i LOVED jacobs perspective soooo funny i loved the preface: Life sucks, and then you die. Yeah, I should be so lucky) i thought that was frekin hilarious and. The sex parts welll really bella can u get any MORE desperate to get knocked up????(not that she excepcted to get preganent but still) and i hated that the romance had to die after the wedding espically after nessie was born but i guess the whole mother-daughter bond was kinda sweet..... i guess..... but we really NEEDED more edward after the nessie was born. And the child being born was WAY 2 violent i dont think i needed ALLL those details or any 4 dat matter... Speaking of Nessie, I cant BELIEVE Jacob IMPRINTED on EDWARD and Bellas daughter in other word: the vampire he hated to death and REALLY wanted to kill and the girl he was completly in love withs daughter a half VAMPIRE daughter, by vampires i mean his BIGGEST enemies and the girl he wanted!!!! But 1 thing came good for me after this book i realized my love 4 emmet and paul and Felix alll hilarious 2 me welll i guess  Felix was just cool 2 me!!!!! any way bascially i think breaking dawn was wayyyyy to violent sex involved and no-romancy!!!! but i guess it was still really good BUT i loved eclipse it was better than the rest the love triangular that sooo sadly ended in breaking dawn was my favoirite part of eclipse
New User
Southernangel
0 Kudos

I am an English major at William and Mary with way too much time on my hands, so I decided to post my opinion in this forum.

Point 1. As a writer, you know you cannot please everyone, and so you pretty much leave it up to the characters in your mind to create their own story. You become their outlet. If you expected her to reach into your mind and end the story the way you always imagined it, then perhaps you should write your own book. I think Stephenie achieved her goal to perfection.

Point 2. Of course this book wasn't like the others. Edward and Bella are no longer in highschool or simply dating. Would you have been happier if they hadn't gotten married? If your answer is no, then you have to accept that their relationship will change.

Point 3. I am a fan of romance novels, and let me just tell you that this book, and the happy couples' relationship, was most definitely NOT based all on sex. Read Christine Feehan, if you don't believe me.

The only thing that bummed me out was something that not a lot of people seem to be bothered by, and that was the 18783453 page leadup to a fight that never happened. But it was a nice ending to a nice story that left me feeling satisfied while still leaving room for imagination.

New User
caradee
0 Kudos

before i start my yapping on my perspective on the book, breaking dawn, id like to point out some people. no one in specifics, just people on random. there is no need to bash the book and insult it like you're a contestant on the show yo momma. please honey, save it for the dance floor.

my thoughts on breaking dawn after i finally finished it and put it down? that it was good, in the standard that it wrapped everything up for me. i was still too wrapped up and dazed in twilight bubble world to start my over analyzing of the plot and whatnot.

but i do have to say this, AHHHHHHHH! where were the moments between edward and bella that i always went back to read over and over until it was imprinted in my mind?  i was sad when i realized, the romance between edward and bella were downplayed. i would have liked the last words of the series to be something along the lines of the last words in eclipse. to me, the book was just summing up bella's final human moments, and the start of her immortal adventure. it wasn't going to dilly-dally on the little quirky moments between the two lovers. that's what drew me in the first place though. i didn't want their last moment to be the warmup to another night of heated sex, i imagined it would be like the scene in the meadow. still getting over it:smileysad:

another thing is, i was bored with the whole volturi lot. there was no fighting, no real show of emotions. it was just aro showing how intelligent he was with big words. big deal. i wish the suspense lead up to some brawling, not just jane hissing and growling every moment she felt frustrated. and, it rolled on and on. i felt for bella when she realized she might be dead the next minute, but i didn't feel much, since i didn't really connect to that idea. she simply stated it, but didn't agonize over it, like she did over edward in other books.

&&, with the whole bella changes after she becomes a thing of priceless beauty? of course her attitude was going to change people. her quirky body and clumsy moves changing into supermodel features and graceful steps from heaven was bound to boost up her confidence level. it was only natural. like a fat person losing 1345438 pounds. 

the whole jacob and renesmee thing, well i don't....really know. i mean, i thought nothing of it when quill imprinted on that little girl, but i guess the same thing goes with jacob and the nessie. jacob only sees her as a baby girl he loves and protects like the best brother out there, and when she will grow, he will love her and protect like the perfect guy out there. it's kind hard to explain, but its not like nessie is a normal child either, she's probably smarter than i am right now, which isn't saying a lot haha, but while she's growing, jacob will stay the same. and he's as childish as her. he only seems like a pedifile with his frightening height and strength and all, but still.........confusing myself right now:smileyhappy:

as for rosalie, i'll leave her alone with a few words. rosalie is....rosalie. she wants what bella has, she would die for what bella has, and now she has to watch what she wants most being given to a woman she disliked from the beginning. of course her priorities are going to be clouded and milky. it happens in the real world too. sterile women becoming best friends with pregnant women, and stealing their kids. i guess, you just have to get in her head to understand really.

back to bella. get over the whole pregnancy thing. her pregnancy is what triggered everything that finally tied her life together. she got what she wanted, no more torment and misery. 

plus what's the deal with the whole sex thing? i mean come on, don't say " it's ruining my virgin ears. " bella and edward already loved eachother so much emotionally. don't be so stupid to think they would leave the physical part out. its another natural turn over in life. but then, i agree, i would have preferred at least a monumental serenade worthy moment from edward to bella. 

ok, that's it. i guess=] now, i just want sm to write about bella's life afterwards, or something. maybe through nessie's pov. i know this is shallow and stupid, but i kinda want to read the parts of bella going to college and the reactions of humans around her, espacially human GUYS. that would interesting and funny. i always love a good story where the heroine finally gets the attention she deserves, even though in this case, bella doesn't really care.

e82
New User
e82
0 Kudos

*Spoiler*
I completely agree with everyone with how much of a disappointment this book was.  I absolutely love love love this series, but COME ON!!!! I thought this book did not belong in the twilight series. It was too much going on, way to fast. I personally think that SM should write a fifth book, not Midnight Sun, but another book written in Bella's pov to kind of clear everything up, and take it slower like the first 3 books were, bring back her personality, her and edwards awesome relationship, and talk a little more about what its like to be a vampire with a family. I thought BD was way too intense and I think another book would be good to bring it down a notch.
Frequent Contributor
stefanie_kennedy2000
0 Kudos

oh my gosh.

i absolutely positively love breaking dawn.

&she thanks Jesus for the daises and the roses(:
-jars of clay
New User
luv_twilight_series_4ever
0 Kudos

I loved it. I thought that Bella and Edward seemed to grow up in there relationship. Edward didn't make as many assumptions for Bella. And Bella grew up when she was pregnant coz she barely complained about the pain. A lot of people were ready to hate this book before it was published simply because it was the last book in the series, people did the same with Harry PotterThe people who are complaining about the sex part s. She had to as that was part of the deal with Edward. Without those parts, Nessie wouldn't of been born, Jacob wouldn't of imprinted, there'd be no reason for Jacob to leave the Pack so his book wouldn't of happened, Bella and Rose wouldn't of become friends, the first hunting trip wouldn't have been the same and so urgentEmmet wouldn't of been able to  make all his jokes, Jake wouldn't of able to mock RoseEdward wouldn't of nearly gone crazyAlice and Jasper wouldn't of left, , there wouldn't of been a gathering, Bella wouldn't of been turned as quickly , the volturi wouldn't of came to kill the Cullens and bella wouldn't found out she was a shield. So without those particular  scenes  there would basically be no Breaking DawnDon't understand why people hate the book. I thought it was brilliant. I've lost count of how many times, I've read it.
~Bella: ''You stupid Mutt! How could you? My baby!''

~Bella: "Should I be afraid?"
~Edward: "Terrified.''

~Bella:'' You think you'll be part of my family as my son In Law!''

~Bella'' Eggs''

~Rose:'' You. Got. Food. In. My. Hair.''

~ Jake: ''S'not so hard to erase a blondes memory. Just blow in her ear.''

~Jasper: ''Bella.''
~Bella: ''Sorry Jasper.''

~Emmet: ''Bout time somebody scored around here.''
New User
faizaa123456
0 Kudos

I agree with you about the thing with the volturi, they didn't even have an ultimate battle. Cause its the final book I think there should have been some sort of battle and cause she was a vampire this time she could at least see all the action properly. I was totolly disappointed that there wasnt any action, but I get the idea why bella had a baby in the book, to make this sort of picture of a happy family in there cottage and what a perfect way to end the love triangle with Jacob imprinting on Renesmee a new character that Jacob hasnt seen. I think that Jacob should have imprinted on leah you know with there same situation of rejection and all that. but the problem with that was that he has already seen her. bye
New User
Loweglie
0 Kudos

I think people say Bella changed or they didn't connect with her b/c SHE DID CHANGE!! The reason Edwards part did not seem to be there, is b/c he didn't have to turn around and RESCUE her every five minutes!!!!!!!!!!! She wasn't a clumsy girl any more. He was helpless during the pregnancy and already in mourning. I was extremely dissapointed that Edward and Bella's first time was non-existant!!! I felt totally gipped!!! I waited for four books for them to have a chance to be a part of each other...completely....and the book went to commercial?????? Seriously anti-climactic. Total bummer. I wanted to feel what they were feeling and get lost in the moment.......really dissapointing. Saw the pregnacy coming a mile away. Loved Jacob's perspective. Was expecting a showdown with the Volteri, but would have been dissapointed if any characters were killed off, so it was a good tie up. Overall, I was pleased. I know she writes for young audiences, so she wasn't going to glorify or concentrate on the act of sex.....but to go into so much detail about every touch, every kiss...then to skip over the most intimate part......unsatifying to say the least!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
New User
Tomatoebox12
0 Kudos

personally Nreaking Dawn was a complete and utter let down for me. The beginning was alright for me, I still felt like I could connect to the characters and I couldn't put it down for the first 100 pages but... after the honey moon I just felt so detatched from Bell and Edward. Everything revoloved around sex afterwards and I found myself missing the adorable fluff between them in the first book. It got even worse when Bella got pregnant I was like "wtf?" it made no sense and stephenie didn't go to deep into the explanation, i mean I found myself actually despising Renesmee's presence the moment she showed up! It sounds bad to say that but I didn't feel like I recognized any of the characters they were just so...OOC. And when Bella turned vamp I jus lost it. she wasn't the insecure, clumsy, lovable Bella anymore she was boring! The only parts I really enjoyed were in Jacob's book ( lol funny titles). I almost think that stephenie maybe rushed BD a little, like she knew fans were expecting it to be a masterpiece or something. To me it didn't even seem like it was her writing the book. it was so alien. I kept putting the book down, doing other things...definitely NOT the reaction I had to other books...:smileysad:

New User
Tomatoebox12
0 Kudos

personally Breaking Dawn was a complete and utter let down for me. The beginning was alright for me, I still felt like I could connect to the characters and I couldn't put it down for the first 100 pages but... after the honey moon I just felt so detatched from Bell and Edward. Everything revoloved around sex afterwards and I found myself missing the adorable fluff between them in the first book. It got even worse when Bella got pregnant I was like "wtf?" it made no sense and stephenie didn't go to deep into the explanation, i mean I found myself actually despising Renesmee's presence the moment she showed up! It sounds bad to say that but I didn't feel like I recognized any of the characters they were just so...OOC. And when Bella turned vamp I jus lost it. she wasn't the insecure, clumsy, lovable Bella anymore she was boring! The only parts I really enjoyed were in Jacob's book ( lol funny titles). I almost think that stephenie maybe rushed BD a little, like she knew fans were expecting it to be a masterpiece or something. To me it didn't even seem like it was her writing the book. it was so alien. I kept putting the book down, doing other things...definitely NOT the reaction I had to other books...:smileysad:

New User
twiligthmania
0 Kudos

I think you are all wrong i loved breaking dawn it was amazing! There is nothing wrong with the ending, it is unexpected and suspensful. If it ended up with Renessmee dying it would be bad i loved the whole other half vampire half human thing. I still think that Twilight the first was the best but Breaking Dawn came tied for second with Eclipse. I hope Stephanie Myer finishes Midnight Sun.

New User
gangiyaheardd
0 Kudos

i don't understand all the negativity, breaking dawn to me was very good. i never really knew what was coming next. sure the happy ending was a little to perfect, but if it wasn't people would of complained anyway. and the whole sex thing, bella and edward finally got to share that very delicate part of their relationship without having to worry. edward finally got to appreciate every aspect of that relationship. and i don't see what you people mean with bella loosing her personality, even edward said that even as a vampire bella was still insecure. i thought the only thing that changed was the physical bella. mentally she was exactly what edward fell in love with, a selfless, smart, and utterly perplexing person. i do wish that the fight would have happened, and possibly a death would hve occured. and i also wish that renee would find out about bella i hate how we were left in the dark about that whole situation.
New User
MaryTaylor
0 Kudos

Why has no one in this thread brought up the subject of birth control? 

I was absolutely shocked by Bella's reaction to her pregnancy. I know that she assumed she was being safe in sleeping with Edward, because vampires supposedly can't impregnate anyone. That made sense.

What made NO sense at all was her reaction afterwards. Not once did it cross Bella's mind that she should have used a condom. Not once did that come up anywhere in the narrative. Like "well, I didn't think we had to use protection because you're a vampire!" or "I thought we WERE having safe sex, Edward! You're not supposed to be able to get me pregnant!"

It was so odd. For all her supposed old-soul wisdom, Bella came across as an irresponsible idiot when it came to safe sex. So did Edward. 

The issue (or non-issue) of having responsible, adult, protected sex did not even cross anyone's mind, in the book. Or on this forum, apparently. 

really scary. be responsible, guys. be safe. use protection.

Wordsmith
shesaxsensation
0 Kudos

I don't think birth control was an issue. They didn't think they could get pregnant because he's a vampire. Even if he wasn't a vampire, they were married, so children wouldn't be terrible. In my opinion, safe sex was for kids in high school, unmarried kids. The whole children before marriage thing is still looked down upon and since they're married ... I know there's still the topic of disease but if she planned on becoming a vampire anyway then what's the point? I don't think she can catch herpes from a vampire. I could be wrong though. Anything is possible.
"For almost ninety years I've walked among my kind, and yours...all the time thinking I was complete in myself, not realizing what I was seeking. And not finding anything, because you weren't alive yet."

- Edward Cullen
Frequent Contributor
dwrbrame
0 Kudos

good point! I personally loved breaking dawn. SOmetimes people expect too much from a book. Its like loads of people were disappointed with the final harry potter but it was still an amazing read.
Darkness can be far more stimulative than light