Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
daylightamy
0 Kudos

Re: Breaking Dawn Discussion *Spoiler Warning*

I'm sorry to just fall right into this discussion without an introduction - this is my first post. I was just reading and I felt very compelled to reply. I hope what I say won't be taken as offensive by anyone - it isn't meant that way on my part.

Where the first three books swept me away, this one just left me kind of enstranged from all the characters. The problem is that Stephanie Meyer has spent the first three books building up tensions and most of all creating and retracting and redirecting passions between the characters. I barely felt any passion in the characters in Breaking Dawn. I felt Stephanie no longer let them be guided by actual feelings - she was moreso placing them in comfortable closing positions, so to speak. Like everything she's written had to lead up to something proper that answered all questions and didn't leave room for any restless emotions. When really, to me, Twilight Saga's power has always been in the feeling of being swept away to places that aren't necessarily comfortable but are raw.

And now comes the part that I hope nobody will hate me for -- I think the unsatisfying ending of Breaking Dawn may have had a lot to do with Meyer's mormon background. Just like the abstinance, which did work for tension building...

To me, Meyer took the abstinance to a place where it was raw and real and almost a little torturous - in a good way. Let's face it, it was a big source of the tension between both Bella and Edward and Bella and Jacob. But then - sadly, to me - the mormon ending also comes in, where the girl gets married at 19 and has her first child at that age, too. The clear cut she made between abstinant longing, and then rather emotionally-flat family life to me was kind of disappointing. That's what the mormon community expects; you don't have sex until you're married, then once you're married "it's over" to speak negatively. Why does passion have to end in marriage and parenthood? Were there no other places for her to take that story? Or was she just limited by what she was raised to believe was the happy ending for everyone?

It was thoroughly disappointing to me. And Jacob imprinting on Renesmee? That was disappointing to me, too. It was a typical testimony to me that she was just trying to shut it all down. Bella and Edward were married and so their romantic tension came to an end, and so she quickly found a spot for Jacob. God forbid a character was left in a raw, unsatisfying, realistic spot. And this spot was rather freaky to me, to be honest. It just wasn't right for some reason. After the gap that was created between shape-shifters and vampires, suddenly Jake imprints on a half vampire child? The child of the girl he persued quite passionately for so long? It doesn't make any sense to me. It didn't feel like a development that was as raw (again) and natural as the things in the other three books. It felt forced. A forced ending - at least for now.

It really, really bothers me. Why must it end in marriage and children? At such a young age, too. In fact to me the first two books were the most moving, especially New Moon. But this one? I didn't feel she was trying to move anyone anymore. She was just trying to close up shop without being obligated to open it up again. She can, of course. But she doesn't have to.

Frequent Contributor
AlliD
0 Kudos

I like your post, not offensive at all to me. I found this issue really frustrating throughout all of the books actually, but I agree with you 100% that the abstinence between Bella and Edward did heighten the passion and energy - the gestalt of the relationship. I found it unrealistic but moreover the metaphor of becoming a vampire and losing ones virginity was to me, really upsetting. I think that the whole idea of the old fashioned romance, (i.e. where the girl pines and pines and pines and is finally actualized by a her lover through marriage and a baby,) has proven to be faulty and dangerous for girls over and over and over again. Ugh. I could go on and on....I really like the Twilight books but this was one area I really took issue with.  

Frequent Contributor
JamieMonique
0 Kudos

you too the words right outtta my head lol

* - is it possible to obessed with reading ? *
New User
No1NewAuthor
0 Kudos

WOW.... I'm crushed! With all the energy and time invested in this series, I feel completely betrayed. With so many ways this series could have gone, Breaking Dawn is what it came to??? A freak show image of it's former self, distorted, like that of a funhouse mirror! The dynamic of the relationships seemed to go out the window, overshowed by an illogical pregnancy and birth of Bella & Edward's hybrid spawn. Bella looses absolutely nothing; she gets her cake and eats it too.... so NOT the grounds of character strength and development. How sad for her! Poor Charlie, once the protectivly sweet dad, is no longer. He is a shell of what he once stood for, taking a backseat to Bella's NEW life as a vampire. Then Jacob, imprints on Bella's daughter... umm, gross. Some of the topics are not for the faint of heart. For example... children under 16! To top it off, the highly anticipated Volturi/Cullen Battle.... NEVER HAPPENS! All the hype for nothing... everyone walks away with a happy ending. Come on.... not everyone truely wants a totally happy ending, do they?

Distinguished Wordsmith
_K3LS3Y_
0 Kudos

Welll, not to be offensive to you No1NewAuthor but who would really want a cake and not get to eat it? Just saying:smileyhappy: Haha:smileyhappy: But no I totally agree with you that how SM planned out the series up until Bella was really wanting to have sex before marriage. And a young age of 19 at that! The anticipation for the fight, with Alice leaving out of nowhere, to find something that could help. Either she knew it was a hopeless attempt at fighting or SM just wanted to bring another character in with the other million she already had.Jacob needed his happy ending but I don't think his almost lover's baby should have been included. Another thing is Bella thinking for almost 500 freaking pages within the books of what will happen when she becomes a vamp. No mom, dad, friends, she seems to forget when she gets married, pregnant, and redone as a vampire. She seems suicidal which isn't at all what this generation needs when it's already pretty messed up itself. And now the hype and more people reading the books and watching the movies, they think it's ohk to look for mythical creatures, have high expectations of guys, think 'Oh hey let's go have sex before I'm married, and get married at 19-20 years old. Not to mention that she totally relys on a guy 24/7 (Edward, Jacob) And yes I agree with you about the happy ending part. People aren't perfect and we're never going to be perfect on this Earth so why treat someone as if they are perfect by giving them a perfect, wonderful happy ending, in which they have cliche superpowers.

Sorry I have so much to say, :smileyhappy:

And welcome No1NewAuthor:smileyhappy:

You always get your happy ending
If you're not happy...then it's not the end
New User
mandalovestwilight
0 Kudos

i felt it ended the series perfectly!!!!!!!!!! i am team edward 100%   it would've  beeen funnyy if bella had a baby boy and jacob imprinted on him, but i prefere renesmee <3

but theres nowayyyy i'd ever want her to end at eclipse, eclipse was my least favorite book, mostly because of jacob, and the side of jacob i hate. new moon and breaking dawn were my favorite because,

mew moon was amazing, and after readi ng it five times jacob grew on me, and i realized i have my own real-life twilight saga story, and i lovee my ture life jacob, he's the bestttt,,, and his name is really jake :smileyhappy: but then again, my  bff abbiiii is like my jacob tooooo~~~~~~~~~~ and shes my alice :smileywink:

p.s. im bellaa

and well, breaking dawn is what i want, a beautiful husband and a beautiful child :smileyhappy: <3<3

i would change NOTHING about breaking dawn

New User
NessieBelleEd
0 Kudos

I just finished reading Breaking Dawn. *contains spoilers*

Volturi

Whats all this about the Volturi showdown letdown? Letdown?? I had never been so tense and anxious reading a book before! Yes, a lot of people would have actually liked to SEE the fight happen, but geez, there was so much anxiety already there! When Alice came dancing into the battlefield at the end I jumped up with such anticipation! I loved how everyone stood together. I even became a fan of Garrett. I couldn't believe how evil the Voturi truly is! Fishing for reasons to kill everyone! I was in suspense the entire time!

Jacob/Wolves

Never liked him until Eclipse. I'm Team Edward. In Breaking Dawn, what do you know? I love him! Loved his point of view and agree with an earlier comment that it came at a perfect time. (Not wanting to hear how much pain Bella was in) It did creep me out a lot when he imprinted on Renessmee, but I loved how he was protective over her and wanted her to be safe at all costs. His relationship with Bella was finally balanced and I just really like his character. I really liked the pack as well. So glad I was able to see their side and Seth is one of my faves.

The Vampire Gathering/The Cullens

I loved the different vampires from around the world. The Amazon (Zafrina) was my favorite. And Alistair was pretty funny.The two vengeful vampires from Romania made me smile too many times. The Denali Clan was a favorite and I felt for the sisters when Irina was destroyed. I was a little impatient when it came to that part of the book. I just wanted the confrontation to happen. I loved the Cullens (wary about Rosalie) in this book. Carlisle and Alice are my favorites and I loved Jasper (especially after Eclipse) I was very surprised she took off and actually thought she'd abandoned the family!

Edward and Bella

When Bella changed into a vampire, the writing was done so well, I felt like I was turning into a vampire. She changed so much from a human, yes, thats what happens when you turn into a vampire! I loved their relationship even more. And what are people saying?? They arent googly eyed anymore? The romance was gone?? Are we reading the same book?! How many times did Bella say, 'Me and Edward just stared at each other for hours.' how about, 'he took my hand' how many times did they do those cute little lovey dovey things? And I love how their relationship matured. And no, it wasn't all about s-e-x. Understand please that they are finally able to show their love for one another. When people love each other like Edward and Bella, OF COURSE there will be "allnighters"! Not to mention they are newlyweds! Bella wanted this and more! This was Bella's dream come true! And Edward isn't in pain and in worry afterwards because she's as strong as he is! And sweet Nessie, I absolutely adored her! They made such a wonderful little family. I could go on for paragraphs for Nessie so I'll leave that be for now.

The ending was wonderful. I would have liked an epilogue (20 years later or something). But SM can't please everyone and I'm forever left to wonder what happens next in this wonderful extended family that is the Cullens.

Frequent Contributor
Lee-Lee81
0 Kudos

I thought the book was pretty good, but Meyer should have done her research. The only living beings on this earth who can have any extra chromosomes, is one with Down Syndrome.

I also didn't like how little personality Bella had, and how she gained even less as a vampire.

New User
Halo_Gin
0 Kudos

Wow you said everything so perfectly i couldnt agree more and for a teen romance novel the sex scenes were approprate and the life changes were adaptable. I couldnt have asked for a better book to follow the rest of the novels