Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Wordsmith
SaraMariaa
0 Kudos

Buy a Nook Color or not?

I have been thinking about buying a Nook Color for a while. I was just wonder what everyone thought about them? What are the negitive and positives of getting one? If you have anything to say about them let me know. Thanks!!

“The books that help you the most are those which make you think the most.”
Inspired Correspondent
adm912
0 Kudos

Re: Buy a Nook Color or not?

I have the NookColor, got it a few days after it released. I LOVE mine.

There are so many pros - childrens books (if you have kids in your life they are awesome!), magazines, apps, web, sharing some books. Being able to download books upon release - ie you can preorder and they'll download as soon as they release! I live in a small town with no book store, so this saves me a lot of gas money.

Cons: I can think of is reading in sunlight isn't as easy on the NC as it is an e-ink device. It can be done with brightening the screen, but in some light can still be a bit hard. That really depends if you plan on reading in direct sunlight much though.

Not all books can be shared, to me it's not a big deal but does upset some people. Those that can be shared can only be shared once.

If you have any specific questions feel free to ask! :smileyhappy: There is also a Nook Color forum on these boards that you might check out.

Distinguished Wordsmith
SaraMariaa
0 Kudos

Awesome!! Thank you that is really helpful :smileyhappy:

Distinguished Correspondent
Whisperlynn
0 Kudos

The only thing I use the NookColor for is apps, sometimes the internet...reading on it, while not as bright as a computer screen, still strains my eyes after only a few minutes.  So if you're a heavy reader and want an ereader for that I would recommend one of the black and white screen models, but for a portable computer for social networking and entertainment it's tops!

Distinguished Wordsmith
SaraMariaa
0 Kudos

Well that is good to know. Thank you!

Distinguished Correspondent
bobbles918
0 Kudos

This thread was very helpful to me too!  I have a Nook 1st edition & have been debating on getting the Color since it came out.  I really couldnt care less about getting on the internet or playing games on my Nook so for the time being think I'll just stick to my 1st edition Nook-love it too!

"A classic is something that everybody wants to have read and nobody wants to read"-Mark Twain
Frequent Contributor
so_death_bye
0 Kudos

i love my nook color dont get me wrong. you can get free book, apps and some mag 14 day free trial and stuff. some things or 99 cent anf then their free fridays plus you can get a book in a snap and sometimes cheaper. i like how you can pay on gift cards if you dont want to it out on your credit card. you can still go to the store and read and it's for free. i love my nook i kind of with it had the i <3 radio app, but pandora is on their. i like how if you have a problem just post in on fb and someone would reply and help you out.

what i dont like about my nook color rign now is that its not syncing up right now, but ill fix it or erase it something and my charger brakes same spot everytime. other don't have that problem like i do.

no matter what you do everything has pros and cons it a matter of the cons outing over the pros.

What's Montague? It is nor hand nor foot,
Nor arm nor face, nor any other part
Belonging to a man. O be some other name!

What's in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet