Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
Christopher_Cleary
0 Kudos

Christopher Cleary on Writing on the Wall

Hey everyone. I'm the author of Writing on the Wall. It's about Donnie and Megan: two teens who cleverly rent a storage unit and make it their secret place to hang out. All kinds of stuff happens in and out of the unit, but I don't want to ruin it for anyone who has not read it yet.

I'd love to hear your comments and it would be my pleasure to discuss the book and answer any questions that you may have.

Rock on,
Chris
PL
New User
PL
0 Kudos

Re: Christopher Cleary on Writing on the Wall

Wow, Chris, Writing on the Wall is a great read! The ending is powerful. The characters you created are so real, I found myself missing Megan and Donnie when I finished reading the last chapter.

I've always loved Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Just wondering...Why did you choose that book as Donnie's favorite?

I can't wait for you next book!
Contributor
Christopher_Cleary
0 Kudos

Thanks for your nice words about Writing on the Wall, PL. It’s the compliments, not the criticism, that encourage a writer to make their next work better than the last. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory has been one of my favorite books since fifth grade. Actually, it’s tied for first with a book by Richard Adams, which is also mentioned in Writing on the Wall. More importantly, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was an apt book for Donnie to like. Charlie Bucket is someone he connected with… Guessing from your choice of icon, it’s sort of like how you connected with Megan :smileyhappy:
New User
laceyroadster
0 Kudos

I'm sure you don't remember me, but I met you at a book signing at Barnes and noble. i bought your book and I'm so glad i did. I absolutely loved it. do you know anyone that went through what Donnie went thru (it's hard to ask without spoiling for others)? How'd you make up the ending? Is it going to be a series?

Thanks for writing a great book,
Lacey Rhoads
Contributor
Christopher_Cleary
0 Kudos

I'm so glad you bought it too! I have not experienced it myself and do not know anyone who has persevered the challenges faced by Donnie in the book. It's going to sound strange because it's such a major plot point, but when Donnie revealed his secret, it was even a surprise to me. The idea for the ending came from a sign held by a random spectator a few years ago when I ran the Peachtree Road Race, a 10k in Atlanta. Writing on the Wall will not be a series. I'm fond of its ending and have moved on to my next project, which involves all new characters and settings. I'm sure you'll enjoy it just the same.

Rock on,
Chris
New User
jmilt
0 Kudos

I truly enjoyed Writing on the Wall and got wrapped up in it very quickly.  It's been a long time since I've read a book in one sitting.  What inspired you to write this?  Two teenagers renting a storage unit and falling in love is not exactly a common theme.  I was wondering if it was based at all on reality.  I like the underlying but strong message of realizing self-worth.  Where'd you come up with words like "boffo" and "groovalicious?"  ***SPOILER***  How long before Megan moved in did Mr. Betts commit suicided?

Thank you for your time,
Jerry
Contributor
Christopher_Cleary
0 Kudos

Hey Jerry. You read it in one sitting? Do you have any idea how long it took me to write that book? There's no hurry! I'm kidding. I actually focused on making it a quick read by eliminating anything that would slow it down including an entire chapter. None of it is based on reality - I made it up all by myself. It started out as a short story one day when I was working at a law firm and had to wait at a storage facility for a truck to pick up boxes of documents. I created the characters, put them in a storage unit, and let them do their thing. I didn't have any preconceived plans for them (I didn't even know Donnie's secret until a few paragraphs before he shared it with Megan); fortunately, everything worked out. "Boffo" is a real word. I think I made up "groovalicious." Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I don't know where either came from. Thanks for your warm words, as well and KEEP READING... I suggest the books mentioned inside Writing on the Wall if you haven't read them already.

Rock on,
Chris
Contributor
Christopher_Cleary
0 Kudos

If you live in Florida or Pennsylvania, please come visit me at one of my June 2008 book signings. For more details, visit: www.immortalitypress.com/tour. Hope to see you there!

Rock on,
Christopher Cleary
Author of Writing on the Wall
New User
0 Kudos

Mr. Cleary is a great writer, also a good teacher :smileyhappy: