Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
Lola48
0 Kudos

Content area text information in literature

Hello! I am a university adjunct professor teaching content reading to teachers who, hopefully, in turn, will be able to teach science and social studies better - we are concerned about the difficulty of texts for students in content area classes (6 - 12th grades). So, I am looking for stories and texts that are interesting to read and get the information passed on in a better way for some of our students. Does this make any sense? For instance, the bigotry and racism of the 50's is well told in the book Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry. So, I will be listening and hoping to find out other novels that encourage understanding of important historical events.
BN Editor
MattW
0 Kudos

Re: Content area text information in literature

Lola48 wrote:
Hello! I am a university adjunct professor teaching content reading to teachers who, hopefully, in turn, will be able to teach science and social studies better - we are concerned about the difficulty of texts for students in content area classes (6 - 12th grades). So, I am looking for stories and texts that are interesting to read and get the information passed on in a better way for some of our students. Does this make any sense? For instance, the bigotry and racism of the 50's is well told in the book Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry. So, I will be listening and hoping to find out other novels that encourage understanding of important historical events.

If you haven't discovered these already, other books you may want to check out are Markus Zusak's award-winning novel about the Holocaust, The Book Thief; Hattie Big Sky, about the American West expansion; and The Astonishing Life of Octavian Nothing, set during the American Revolution. These are some suggestions, but you may want to browse our Teen Fiction-Historical Fiction category, here.

Hope this helps!
Matt
Teens Editor, B&N.com
Reader-Moderator
agnijay
0 Kudos

There are a lot of great books out there on Native Americans for teaching that sort of thing. Also, several textbooks offer excerpts from books related to a given subject. "Dragonwings" is a good representation of life for immigrants at the turn of the 20th century.
☼☺♥ Jaya ♥☺☼

If we crawl/ Till we can walk again/ Then we'll run/ Until we're strong enough to jump/ Then we'll fly/ Until there is no end.
Frequent Contributor
platinumpink
0 Kudos

I've read books covering the "Civil Rights" era, and other books that cover the era well are novels such as Invisible Man and To Kill A Mockingbird (highly mentioned, but true)

For a book about the French/Indian War,(a fictional account, that is) try Jason McGee (really good!)
It doesn't have much fighting, it's about a boy's experiences as he grows to manhood

A book covering end of the Civil War (from the Confederate perspective) is The Year of Jubilo

A book that covers WWI very well (it's very "bloody") is All Quiet on the Western Front

A book that's half WWII/sci-fi is Slaughterhouse-Five.

A book that's half Black Death/sci-fi is The Cure (has a character that's called Gemm, and he becomes Johannes)

This is obviously an incompleted list.