Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Sarah-W
0 Kudos

Crescendo Discussion: Chapters 21-End

After Nora narrowly escapes from the explosion at Patch's apartment, she gets scared. She calls detective Basso, but he doesn't seem to be taking his calls. She hides at home, but Vee convinces Nora to join her and Rixon at the Delphic amusement park for Summer Solstice. This is when things get exciting. Not only has Scott broken out of jail to track her down, but in escaping from Scott she discovers who it is that has been trying to kill her. In an action packed sequence that takes place in the tunnels below the park, Becca finds the answers to many of her questions: the identity of her father's killer, as well as the identity of the Black Hand. Later, Nora confronts her mother about the secrets her mother has been keeping. But ultimately the last chapters feature the moment we've all been waiting for: Nora's reunion with Patch.

The book ends with a lot of questions resolved, but it also leaves some crucial questions unanswered. We discover the identity of the Black Hand, but not the purpose behind his organization. The person who has been chasing Nora is revealed, but whether or not she will be safe now seems questionable, particularly as she bears a special mark. Finally, there is the question of how long Nora and Patch can be together without drawing the ire of heaven. Tempest will have lots of juicy material with which to work.

What are your thoughts upon finishing the book? Does it change the way you see other parts of the book? For example, does it change the way you view the prologue? Were you surprised at the identities revealed at the end of the book? What questions have been left unresolved for you? What do you hope to discover in the next book?

Inspired Wordsmith
Morigami
0 Kudos

Re: Crescendo Discussion: Chapters 21-End

[ Edited ]

When I found out Rixon was Mr.Grey's killer I was shocked. Rixon and Patch are best friends, I would have never thought he would betray him just to kill Nora. I am wondering/hoping that Scott comes back in the next book. At the end when he tells Nora he sold his car and got her a car, I thought that was very sweet, and now I want him to be in the next book. The ending with Nora and Patch in his house, with the Nephilm and Mr.Miller was a big shock. I think in the next book there will be even more shocking things. I was thinking that Marcie might not be related at all to Mr.Miller or Nora. Marcie might just be a child to make other fallen angels "think" she's Mr.Miller's real daughter, so they don't go after Nora. I can see Scott in the next book come in with a bang, he might soon just give up running from his past and join Mr.Miller (The Black Hand), and the rest of the Nephilm. I am also wondering how long Patch and Nora have with one another. The biggest thing I wish could happen is if Patch becomes human, that's all I really hope.

Blog: http://booklover-bookchicks.blogspot.com/
Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
0 Kudos

LexieVamp wrote:

When I found out Rixon was Mr.Grey's killer I was shocked. Rixon and Patch are best friends, I would have never thought he would betray him just to kill Nora. I am wondering/hoping that Scott comes back in the next book. At the end when he tells Nora he sold his car and got her a car, I thought that was very sweet, and now I want him to be in the next book. The ending with Nora and Patch in his house, with the Nephilm and Mr.Miller was a big shock. I think in the next book there will be even more shocking things. I was thinking that Marcie might not be related at all to Mr.Miller or Nora. Marcie might just be a child to make other fallen angels "think" she's Mr.Miller's real daughter, so they don't go after Nora. I can see Scott in the next book come in with a bang, he might soon just give up running from his past and join Mr.Miller (The Black Hand), and the rest of the Nephilm. I am also wondering how long Patch and Nora have with one another. The biggest thing I wish could happen is if Patch becomes human, that's all I really hope.

I hope to see Scott in the next book. I don't think Scott can run from his past. And which side would Scott choose to be on. I hope that a Nora will trust Patch more and other people less. Nora had a few hard lessons to learn from trusting the wrong people in this book.

Inspired Wordsmith
krb2g
0 Kudos

Oooh. I thought Rixon was bad news, but I hadn't realized just how bad! I'm torn about the cliffhanger ending. On the one hand, it is the middle book of a trilogy, and I love True Blood (a TV show entirely structured around the logic of cliffhangers)--and now there's no way I'll miss Tempest. It also feels more "real" in a way--life doesn't wrap up in neat packages. On the other hand, it seems a little manipulative: almost like we've stopped mid-story!

Correspondent
SpunkiiReader
0 Kudos

LexieVamp wrote:

I agree with Marcie not being Mr. Miller's daughter and just being a diversion tactic, but at the same time that would be really sad for Marcie and might be one of the reasons she is the way she is.

and I also hope Patch becomes human!

Distinguished Correspondent
salander_9277
0 Kudos

I knew it!  I just knew something was up with Rixon since he wasn't around a lot in the beginning of the book and I just kept getting a weird feeling about it.  I was so glad when Patch and Nora could pretty much be together at the end but *jaw drop* at the cliff hanger ending.  Now a whole year of WAITING :smileysad:

To acquire the habit of reading is to construct for yourself a refuge from almost all the miseries of life. ~W. Somerset Maugham

http://greatexpectationsbookreview.blogspot.com
Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

pen21 wrote:

LexieVamp wrote:

I hope to see Scott in the next book. I don't think Scott can run from his past. And which side would Scott choose to be on. I hope that a Nora will trust Patch more and other people less. Nora had a few hard lessons to learn from trusting the wrong people in this book.

I like that LexieVamp,,Maybe its just a ploy to make Marcia and Nora think Evil Miller is their Father,,It became a shocker for me as well.Kind of left. Hanging..,thinking , OK,now what.Becca has done this so well  We have so many scenarios to come  up with,which will be not too hard here with all the creative juices flowing..To buy Nora a Car,Scott was sweet and in terrible Mental Pain..                      .pen ,I agree Nora, of course will be a bit older,when Tempest is released,she Trusted Patch unconditionally..I may have to rethink this..Scott could be The Good Guy"all along..

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Scribe
DSaff

I really loved the book and can't wait for the next one! The two things I was happiest about seeing resolved were Nora confronting her mother about her true parentage, and Nora and Patch's reunion. The scene in the amusement park underground was very well done. I could see it all play out as it went along. It didn't surprise me that Patch and Nora were "captured" at the end, nor that Hank is the "Black Hand." There was a lot of foreshadowing that the ending wouldn't be tidy. :smileyhappy:

Still unresolved for me:

1. The relationship between Nora and Marcie - are they sisters?

2. How will Nora handle seeing her mother, and will she continue to push for the truth?

3. Will her "father" really harm her, or will Nora and Patch escape?

4. How deep is Scott involved and will he help Nora and Patch if the opportunity arises?

5. Did Patch really send Rixon to hell forever????

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

At first, I wondered where we were going with the prologue. But as the pages turned, things started to gel, but I still couldn't figure out who was scaring Nora and was surprised that it was Rixon. Finding that Patch has gone rogue was disturbing but at the same time with a couple of pages left, I figured what could happen. Nora and Patch go to his shed/home only to find darker secrets there. Hank Millar is the Black Hand and he and his gang are going to probably kill Patch. Does Nora make it out in time and does Patch survive? I believe that they will only because a 3rd book is in the works. This was such a good book and I'm glad that I read Hush, Hush first as it gave me an idea about what Crescendo might be.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

DSaff wrote:

I really loved the book and can't wait for the next one! The two things I was happiest about seeing resolved were Nora confronting her mother about her true parentage, and Nora and Patch's reunion. The scene in the amusement park underground was very well done. I could see it all play out as it went along. It didn't surprise me that Patch and Nora were "captured" at the end, nor that Hank is the "Black Hand." There was a lot of foreshadowing that the ending wouldn't be tidy. :smileyhappy:

Still unresolved for me:

2. How will Nora handle seeing her mother, and will she continue to push for the truth?

4. How deep is Scott involved and will he help Nora and Patch if the opportunity arises?

Donna..I have very similar issues,which of course,in a small way Becca will answer,she has a way of answering,but not really She was so fun with Hush,Hush..I liked especially where you said That the ending wouldn't be Tidy..    I have been reading some "untidy"books recently..;;I know you like some Paranormal.."Nicole Peelers Tempest Rising"Series and DarkFever'Karen Moning " Series  .One is set in Ireland,(,DF),and (TR )set in Maine...Both are excellent.See you Monday..With Becca....Susan

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

Thank you for the book suggestions, Susan!

Vermontcozy wrote:

DSaff wrote:

Still unresolved for me:

Donna..I have very similar issues,which of course,in a small way Becca will answer,she has a way of answering,but not really She was so fun with Hush,Hush..I liked especially where you said That the ending wouldn't be Tidy..    I have been reading some "untidy"books recently..;;I know you like some Paranormal.."Nicole Peelers Tempest Rising"Series and DarkFever'Karen Moning " Series  .One is set in Ireland,(,DF),and (TR )set in Maine...Both are excellent.See you Monday..With Becca....Susan

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Contributor
Helloo
0 Kudos

Am I the only one who wasn't surprised it was Rixon who was behind the whole...Black Hand thing? At the beach I thought the conversation was weird and as soon as she mentioned him with a gun, I was like. Yep, bad guy. I knew it. Who shoots a gun to shoo a crowd? Only bad guys. I was partly disappointed with Nora's revelation that Rixon did the deed to her dad. Or, I wanted more a reason why he killed her dad. I guess it was because he was aware of angels and the fallen, but I felt kinda unsatisfied with that whole plot line. Maybe in the next book we'll see more. (Maybe I need to reread it because it's been a few weeks...)

But I still loved it. Fitzpatrick sure knows how to pull in a crowd.

So many questions are left. Marcie really her sister? Is Hank gonna really kill her? What's Patch and Nora going to do now the Archangels are gonna be on there tails. What about Vee? What about her loss of Rixon? Nora's mom? Does she know? She must know, right? I really want Vee in the with cool crowd and know about fallen angels and Archangels. I think she'd be a great help. In her own crazy way.

Frequent Contributor
KateBrianIsAwesome
0 Kudos

Wow is all I can really say to describe the shocking end to Crescendo. Have you guys noticed that Hush, Hush, Crescendo, and the third book Tempest, all have to do with sound and musical stuff? I know random but I just realized it and thought I'd share. :smileyhappy: 

I feel bad for Vee. She always seems to not have that much good luck. Just when she finds a guy she is crazy about he has to be the one that wants to see her friend dead. I hope in Tempest we will find out her reaction. 

I too think Marcie must be a decoy for the fallen angels. She could or not be related to Nora and her real biological dad. 

When Nora and Patch finally get back together at the end and the gang comes out of nowhere was surprising. Mr.Miller seems cruel. I can't wait to find out more about him. 

Scott buying Nora the car she has been dreaming of since the beginning was a sweet gesture. I hope to see in the next book, and hey he might even become a hero too. 

I feel like Patch and Nora will make it threw the series. But who knows one of them might actually not make it. 

CAN"T WAIT TO READ TEMPEST NOW!!! 

Reading can only make you more happy and smarter. :smileyhappy:

Visit my blog at http://teenbibliophile.blogspot.com/

- Mallory
Frequent Contributor
KateBrianIsAwesome

Totally agree with your post. You summed up all the questions that are left unanswered. I was surprised at how Rixon could shoot a lot of people and also be just plain violent but at the same time play the good guy part well. He not only betrayed both Patch and Nora but he betrayed Vee too. I also want to know why he killed Nora's dad. I can't wait to find out what Nora's mom will say to her. 

Helloo wrote:

Am I the only one who wasn't surprised it was Rixon who was behind the whole...Black Hand thing? At the beach I thought the conversation was weird and as soon as she mentioned him with a gun, I was like. Yep, bad guy. I knew it. Who shoots a gun to shoo a crowd? Only bad guys. I was partly disappointed with Nora's revelation that Rixon did the deed to her dad. Or, I wanted more a reason why he killed her dad. I guess it was because he was aware of angels and the fallen, but I felt kinda unsatisfied with that whole plot line. Maybe in the next book we'll see more. (Maybe I need to reread it because it's been a few weeks...)

But I still loved it. Fitzpatrick sure knows how to pull in a crowd.

So many questions are left. Marcie really her sister? Is Hank gonna really kill her? What's Patch and Nora going to do now the Archangels are gonna be on there tails. What about Vee? What about her loss of Rixon? Nora's mom? Does she know? She must know, right? I really want Vee in the with cool crowd and know about fallen angels and Archangels. I think she'd be a great help. In her own crazy way.

Reading can only make you more happy and smarter. :smileyhappy:

Visit my blog at http://teenbibliophile.blogspot.com/

- Mallory
Contributor
spain108
0 Kudos

Still unresolved for me:

(...)

(...)

I have a feeling Scott's going to come back in Tempest and somehow be wrangled into helping Nora bring down Hank/Barnabas. Or maybe he'll be the one spearheading the mission to bring down the organization. 

As far as the Rixon thing goes...I feel like that was too easy a fix. I think there's more coming in the next book. And how was Patch able to do that exactly? I didn't know they could send one another to hell.

One of my only problems with how the ending was wrapped up was the way Scott and Nora reconcile. Or whatever you want to call it.  The guy *threatened her*.  He was in no way harmless, yet when Nora sees him in the tunnels all of a sudden she's gone soft--when not 20 minutes before he'd been about to kill her? I'm sorry, but there's NO way. No way. No wayyyy I'd ever hang around the dude who'd just tried to kill me. Scott's a psycopath. So does this mean that once someone's been shot multiple times, all of a sudden they've turned into a fluffy, harmless kitten? I don't think so.

Sarah-W
0 Kudos

But how can Patch become human without killing someone?

Sarah-W
0 Kudos

I definitely don't think we've seen the last of Scott... or of Rixon, hell or not!

Inspired Wordsmith
Morigami
0 Kudos

Sarah-W wrote:

But how can Patch become human without killing someone?

I am hoping with all my might that the Archangels will soon give up hurting Patch and Nora, and some how use their magical powers to make Patch human lmfao!

Blog: http://booklover-bookchicks.blogspot.com/
Scribe
JdiennoPSU

Let's just say I was expecting Rixon from pretty early on.  To be honest I really liked this book, it was much more adventure and less romance then Hush, Hush was IMO.  I am honestly really looking forward to the next book and Nora's interaction with Mr. Miller.  The last book is going to be the end of the trilogy correct?  Anyway I really liked this book!

- JJ

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain.

FACT: Childhood cancers are the #1 disease killer in children - more than asthma, cystic fibrosis, diabetes, and pediatric AIDS combined.
Frequent Contributor
Suyai

It did leave so many questions from before and in a way created all new ones. My theory on the Nora/Marcie sister question is that they are sisters but Nora might have that special mark because she was the first-born female, though you have to wonder about the closeness in their ages.