Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
JHabeck
0 Kudos

Re: Crescendo Discussion

Now that I don't believe. From what I got from the book, he can't "feel" like she does. Meaning physicaly not emotionaly. As put on page 53 "When I touch you do you feel anything? How far does your desire go? Do you feel anything close to what I feel for you?" Patch watched me in silence. "Nora--," he began. "I want a straght answer" After a monent he said " Emoionally, yes"

He can fall in love with her even though he is her gardian angel, He just has to figure out how to, because the archangels are watching and it is forbidden. I get that she is trying to keep away from him for that reason, but wouldn't it be better to be honest about it and make that decision together. I does make for a great story though because it keeps me reading to hopefully see what happens between the two.

Also not liking Scott. They way the talked to his mother really turned me off. And the automatic jump to nephil was really fast for me. And sooo wondering what is up with Marcie.

You know you've read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.
~Paul Sweeney
dhaupt
0 Kudos

What's fairly obvious to me is that the YA readers get these characters behaviors and we of the not so YA variety don't.

I think we older folks would be better off  trying to think like a 16 year old where the logic is hidden waaayyyyy down deep and the here and now is what rules your life. So when I think like a pure feeling being I can really see where Nora is coming from, she's young and while mature for her age is obviously still 16 while Patch is practically immortal and though he looks like a teen he's definitely not. In my opinion Patch has been very patient with ms. hormones herself (Nora) because he knows in his heart that she's speaking before she thinks, but sometimes our words are out, we can't take them back and it's too late, the damage is done and sometimes there's no going back to make it all better.

I really like how we get to see bits and pieces of the distant past in Nora's dreams, I just wonder who she's watching.

Contributor
Lostnthestax
0 Kudos

I actually enjoyed the prologue. It reminded me of telling ghost stories and it set the tone up perfectly. I love the spooky feel of Fitzpatrick's writing.

For me, this series is all about the moments shared between Nora and Patch. When they are sitting together in his jeep (Ch 1) and Nora is telling him that she loves him it felt so honest and sweet. Of course, I knew those feel good moments wouldn't last but it was nice to see her bare all to Patch.

I see some people talking about Nora being too whiney but I didn't feel that way. She is insecure and jealous just the way lots of people are, I could relate to a lot of the things she expresses.

Contributor
Lycan731
0 Kudos

i read the book in a day!! it has a wonderful cliffhanger. just perfect. it made me start liking vee. yesterday becca was at the OC's children book fair and  i got to meet her. she was very nice.

Contributor
Marcie77
0 Kudos

I really liked Hush Hush, but I have to agree with some of you, Nora's neediness is annoying.  However I do like the mysterious element that Becca has included in these books. It keeps me turning the pages to find out all I can.  I can't wait to find out what's going on with Marcie.  I really like their antagonistic relationship. Also there is the mysterious element with Patch and now Scott.

I can't wait to see what's going to happen next.  I also love the cover to this book.

Inspired Contributor
kristyn711
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

What's fairly obvious to me is that the YA readers get these characters behaviors and we of the not so YA variety don't.

Very good point.  I am sure some of the things that now annoy me about the way Nora reacts would have made perfect sense to my younger self.  I also think that by making us all frustrated at how this is playing out, Becca has done a great job of keeping people interested in the story.  I might be annoyed with Nora ending things over her jealousy about Marcie/Patch (whether deserved or not), but I sure know I want to read more to find out what happens.

"A room without books is like a body without a soul." ~ Cicero

"My test of a good novel is dreading to begin the last chapter." ~ Thomas Helm
Contributor
Carrissa
0 Kudos

Ok I have to admit that this is my first time doing this, so I knew nothing of procedure here, and read the entire book in six hours. From what I have read in the posts we are at chapter five right now, so I will not post anything from beyond that.

That said, I liked the prologue. I like getting back story. I think that it was well written and definitely drew me into the story.

I also didn't have a problem with how Nora figured out what Scott was. To me, the way it written, it was even a surprise to Nora, how she just kind of knew.

And I with all of you who were practically heartbroken when she told Patch that she didn't want him anymore.

Also, just for my reference, where is the schedule posted?

Contributor
JHabeck
0 Kudos

There is a thread on the teen boards titled Crescendo Sneak Peek, News Schdule& Updates. You can find the schdule in the first post :smileyhappy:

You know you've read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.
~Paul Sweeney
Reader 2
RachelF
0 Kudos

I liked how in the beginning, we now know what happened to him. But now we wonder who killed her dad. Was a friend or a new enemy? I also agree Nora is too needy with her relationship with Patch.

Frequent Contributor
mommybooknerd
0 Kudos

I am not saying that I do not understand the mind of a teenage girl, because I am sure no matter our age we remember the feeling of our first broken heart and the feeling of the first love.  But there is a small responsibility, I feel, for writers to create stronger female characters.  To have them triumph over heartache, not run face first into a wall.  I am not saying that I don't love the books, because I do.  I just want girls to have characters to look up to.  The recklessness is what scares me.  Nora just looks for trouble to hurt Patch and she is really only hurting herself! 

PS  yes Scott is one scary dude....

You are the author of your own life story.
Reader 4
Riley715
0 Kudos

I didn't know we had a schedule, so I finshed it over the weekend. I really liked this book although Nora's attitude drove me nuts, but Patch is just as bad, I mean he doesn't tell her anything.  I going to reread the book "on schedule", so I won't give anything away. Can't wait to hear what all you guys think.

Wordsmith
wheeze
0 Kudos

I am really interested to see if Scott turns into some crazy lunatic or fizzles out in the end... it's got me pulled in!

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."
— Marilyn Monroe
Distinguished Wordsmith
aprilh
0 Kudos

I am loving Crescendo! The writing flows easily and keeps you on the edge of your seat, always wanting more.

I was saddened that Nora and Patch ended up breaking up in the first chapter. I was hoping to get to see more of their happily ever after early on in the book, but it has pushed me to read on to find out if their relationship will ever get repaired.

I was shocked when Nora thought she saw her dad! After Hush, Hush, I assumed we'd learn more about her dad's death, but I never expected for her to see him again. I'm dying to find out if this mystery man really is her dad, or if she's just imagining it.

Scott makes me a little uneasy. There's definitely something up with him. I was very surprised that Nora went from thinking Scott was creepy and then agreeing to go to the Z Pool Hall with him. I know she was trying to see if Patch would keep her safe, but it didn't seem like something Nora would normally do.

At the end of chapter 5, I found myself screaming at Nora to take back what she said to Patch about not wanting him as her guardian angel anymore. By her saying that could it make it true? Guess I'll just have to keep on reading.

Can't wait to discuss more tomorrow!

April
Distinguished Wordsmith
aprilh
0 Kudos

naylorchic wrote:

I actually really liked the prologue in Crescendo better than Hush Hush. It drew me in more than in Hush Hush did.

Me too! I have been dying to find out what happened to Nora's father since I finished reading Hush, Hush last year and I thought it was the perfect way to start Crescendo. I was hooked from the first page!

April
Contributor
Lycan731
0 Kudos

crescendo is a great book. in the fisrt part (hush, HUs) i dind't liek vee much. I guess she was just too much under the influence of Jules and Elliot. In this book, however, i learned to like her. At some point or another i was mad at all the characters and the decisions they were making (excpet at Marcie, i just love to hate her). But i like a book tha can ellicit that kind of response in me. I was a bit thrown out about Patch and Nora oarting ways, i just didn't see it in their future , maybe because Hush, Hush ended in such a happy note. I like that we get to know more about what happened to Nora's dad.

Frequent Contributor
Lblaze
0 Kudos

CrabbyCat wrote:

At the end of chapter 5, when she told Patch that she didn't want him to be her guardian angel anymore, all I could think was "What are you doing?"!  It nearly killed me when Patch told her, "Take it back."  Throughout this entire book, that was the part that stuck with me the most. 

That part REALLY stuck with me too. I wanted to yell 'Let's just slow down here Nora! Don't do anything drastic." I understand she's hurt and upset but by renouncing him as her Guardian Angel, well this cannot be good.

Contributor
Helloo
0 Kudos

Lblaze wrote:

CrabbyCat wrote:

At the end of chapter 5, when she told Patch that she didn't want him to be her guardian angel anymore, all I could think was "What are you doing?"!  It nearly killed me when Patch told her, "Take it back."  Throughout this entire book, that was the part that stuck with me the most. 

That part REALLY stuck with me too. I wanted to yell 'Let's just slow down here Nora! Don't do anything drastic." I understand she's hurt and upset but by renouncing him as her Guardian Angel, well this cannot be good.

Nora drove me insane, while reading just for that reason. She's just too drastic and I can't think of an other times in Hush, Hush, she acted this way. I felt so bad for Patch. He's trying to do everything for both of them, but Nora keeps flying off the handle at times. She just keeps digging a hole bigger and bigger and yea...don't wanna give anything away. :smileyhappy:

Frequent Contributor
Lildove3
0 Kudos

This is a very interesting read, Nora is torn between life on earth and the spiritual side.

She obviously realizes Patch is not human but of a type of an Angel. Young love is quite the

adventure,Nora is very rentless and so muchin love with Patch that sometimes one might get

the impression she's in denial about her relationship with Patch. This other guy Scott, definately spells trouble with a capitla T.  Nora's mom is absolutely right to suggest to her daughter to stay away from that guy.  Unfortunately, I was not able to read the book previously

to this one,but that's o.k., I'm enjoying this read quite well.  :smileywink:

Correspondent
Tenrbe
0 Kudos

I have to admit I have no self control and finished Crescendo a day after getting it in the mail. It was just one of those unputdownable books. With that said, I loved it and will try not to post any spoilers during the discussion.

I liked the prologue. It was just the right amount of mystery that made you want to jump into chapter 1 and see where the story takes you.

Scribe
JdiennoPSU
0 Kudos

So I am only on chapter 2 right now but am enjoying it so far. I just finished Hush, Hush last night and though it was good it wasn't my favorite (I am a 23 year old male after all).  Both it and Crescendo are a little to Romance for me and not enough action.  Regardless, I have enjoyed both but wouldn't be something that I would go out to the store to buy (I will most likely read the third book just because when I start a series I need to finish it).  I will post again when I am finished up thru chapter 6.

- JJ

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain.

FACT: Childhood cancers are the #1 disease killer in children - more than asthma, cystic fibrosis, diabetes, and pediatric AIDS combined.