Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reader
CRDWLLG
0 Kudos

Re: Crescendo Discussion

I just started Crescendo, so I'm trying to finish as soon as possible. It's really good so far. I think (and hope) I'm going to like the 2nd one more than Hush, Hush.

Correspondent
StewiesMom
0 Kudos

If you are able to get a copy of Hush, Hush, it will make the characters much more understandable.  I still think you can read it as a standalone, but it might help to understand the history involved between the characters.

Luv2Read10 wrote:

I did not read Hush, Hush so I don't know how much of the story I missed. The first few chapters were kind of not making much sense to me. Do you have to read the first one to really understand this one?

http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/Britariel

"Tact, my dear"..."is merely a ploy of the unimaginative." - Bernard in Corinne Demas' "The Writing Circle"
"My life is my own, and the opinions of others don't interest me..." — Carroll John Daly**
**This is not necessarily true, I just love the quote!**
Contributor
alie
0 Kudos

The first few chapters are moving a little slowly for me.  And Nora is annoying this book.  Why is Marcie all of a sudden trying to be around Nora, or playing at trying to be nice? I really don't like Scott.  How did Nora come to the conclusion so fast that he was Nephilim?  I just have so many questions right now, but like I said Nora is being annoying so I don't have that pressing urge to continue on so much.  But I loved Hush, Hush so it's gotta get better, right?

Love ya
~Stacy~
Distinguished Correspondent
salander_9277
0 Kudos

I am so excited about the possibilities Becca Fitzpatrick has brought to the beginning of this book.  I like the insight of Nora's Father's death and it makes you wonder, was it Patch who shot him?  It definitely eludes to the fact by saying the killer has black hair.  

Why is it a huge deal that Scott is Nephilim by the way?  I thought Nora herself was Nephilim???  I was confused about that so I hope the next few sections will enlighten me.  

I am wondering why Patch cannot show affection to Nora now of all times.  Is he wanting to still become human through her sacrifice?  I am sad they are not together right now but I think it will right itself somehow by the conclusion.

To acquire the habit of reading is to construct for yourself a refuge from almost all the miseries of life. ~W. Somerset Maugham

http://greatexpectationsbookreview.blogspot.com
Correspondent
StewiesMom
0 Kudos

Exactly my thoughts!  I probably would have felt similarly to Nora, if I were in her shoes.  It would be difficult to say those words for the first time to a boy, only to find out that he was seen outside the house of your nemesis!

KateBrianIsAwesome wrote:

I agree too. I couldn't believe Nora went from being a strong female to a weak girl. Although love can cause people to overreact and go to extreme measures. She just got mad that Patch didn't do what she was expecting and then to find out he took off to another girl's home. That would make any girl mad. 

"Tact, my dear"..."is merely a ploy of the unimaginative." - Bernard in Corinne Demas' "The Writing Circle"
"My life is my own, and the opinions of others don't interest me..." — Carroll John Daly**
**This is not necessarily true, I just love the quote!**
Contributor
spain108
0 Kudos

So I'm a little late today for the discussion and am blown away by how many comments there are already. Wow!

I scanned over some of the comments and noticed a couple of you pointing out how needy Nora seems or how weird she's acting after having said those "three words" to Patch. I'm thinking that one of the main reasons she's overreacting the way she is is the fact that after saying something like to another person, you're bound to feel really vulnerable--especially if the other person doesn't say it back right away. You can tell she's feeling a little unhinged after the whole "I love you" disaster. That vulnerability will rear its ugly head and either make someone clingy or--as in Nora's case--make them push people away to protect themselves from any further pain.

As for the other things that happened in those first 5 chapters, I'm really curious to see where the whole mystery surrounding her father's death goes. Like who was the shooter? My guess is Patch---don't ask me why, I don't even really know myself. LOL Or even Scott. Speaking of, Scott is one weird dude. I'm hoping he doesn't end up being a copy character of what Elliot and Jules ended up being. I'm hoping he's going to end up being an okay kind of guy, and not a red herring.  I think it'd be cool for Nora to have another ally in the Nephilim/archangel realm.

I haven't read ahead--main reason for my skimming some of the comments, don't want any spoilers!

Contributor
AnotherBookJunkie
0 Kudos

It seems as though we're all in agreement about the way Nora is acting. If she and Patch hadn't gone through so much, I could understand her irrationality. But there's some serious history there, even if it hasn't been that long, and she's acting like none of it really meant anything. Sure, she loves him, and she wants him to prove he loves her, but you'd think all they've gone through already, would clue her in.

Her attitude aside, Patch is annoying me as well. Nora may be acting like a spoiled brat about the Marcie thing, but I think she does have the right to know, given the circumstances. He may just be her guardian angel, but he is still (was) her boyfriend, and I think I'd like to know why my boyfriend was turning peeping-Tom on my sworn enemy, too.

Scott needs to go somewhere. Not liking him at all.

Correspondent
MissShopaholic

we need to remember that Nora is a teenager.  This is her first boyfriend and it seems to me that she's playing games with Patch. Jealousy can really make a girl crazy, i suppose and I'm just anxious to see what else happens.

Contributor
Landylan
0 Kudos

Hi I finished Crescendo over the weekend. Yes, I couldn't put it down. My comments based on what I thought while I was reading, since I don't want to spoil the book :smileywink:

So about the 1st 5 chapters and the prologue.

To me the prologue is setting the theme of the book, which seems to be dark from what you can see in the first few chapters

Chapter 1 keeps you with that sweet in love feeling that is until the end of the chapter, not sure I liked where that was going.

Chapter 2 proves that I didn't like where things were going. Nora dreaming about Patch and losing him, that to me influenced in a way her actions towards him. Marcie been everywhere and wanting to know about Patch, doesn't seem like this is headed into anything good at least for Nora. At this point you can tell that even though Nora loves Patch she doesn't trust him, and what is love without trust :smileysad:

Chapter 3 finally Scott makes his appearance, and is not a a good one. First impression is that I don't like him or his Mom. Both are characters that for different reasons are not that likeable, Scott for been a manipulator, and his Mom for been a person with out a will and been so easy manipulated by her son.

Chapter 4 the dream reminded me of the prologue. Then you get Nora who is supposed to be showing Scott around, deciding to ditch him and tail him instead. And Nora supposedly seen her Dad, to me she didn't.

Chapter 5 beginning of the chapter Scott seem like he could be a not so bad guy. By the time he and Nora go to Z well I think his back to been is obnoxious self. And to me is the real star of Nora doing things without really trusting her instincts and just to do thing to go against Patch.

So far, I don't trust Scott, and even less Marcie, but I have to say that Vee to me is shaping up to be a lot less annoying than in Hush Hush. Patch still in my eyes the good guy, that has his hands tie behind his back and can't tell what is really going on. Nora starting not to be too happy with her, and her insecurities. To me she seems self destructive, more like I have something good but I don't trust I deserve this much good, and that is the main reason she says the things she does to Patch.

By this point I made certain assumptions that came true later on on the book. Won't share them just yet, because I don't want to spoil the book.

Contributor
A_Readers_Record

Seeing as  kristyn711  touched all my major points from chapters 1-5 I'll add further to those.

The Prologue didn't do anything for me- although they rarely do.  I get the purpose of them but sometimes they just much up my initial thought of a  book and it can set a real stiff or sticky tone for me.  This did neither, but I still wasn't sure that was the way to go.

Chapter 1:  Nora's insecurities really were brought up from the get go.  It was annoying to me, even at 25 BUT I am still young enough to remember those crazy-flip emotions that entail first romances, high school love, and trust.  I think Becca does a great job depicting how a true teenage girl head over heels in love would act.  And I totally agree about Marcie not needing to be there (at this stage in the game- but seeing as I have no self control, it is obvious all things are done with a reason.)  Her character annoys me- but I am pretty sure that is her job.  To throw a curve ball in there. 

Chapter 2:  I did not expect this huge milestone so early in the book.  It threw me for a loop and I found myself taking a hold of my book and double checking how far in I really was.  I think the emotions paired with the 'break-up' scene were fairly accurate yet so maddening.  Even having read Hush-Hush I find myself in an internal fight with the rules of the Guardian/Fallen Angels debacle.  It doesn't sit well with me which causes awesome investment on my part totally feeling Nora's confusion and maddening anxiety caused by Patches inability to really let go of everything and give his all to her.  At the same time I want to slap some sense into Nora and tell her to give Patch a chance that she knew it all from the beginning.  Once she knew the truth, once she agreed to their arrangment it should have been enough.  (Enter teen angst here and we are back to the brilliantly depicted erratic crazy hormonal character building on Becca's part)

Chapter 3:  Our new, yet old to Nora, character Scott came on oddly strong to me here.  I think maybe with a little tweaking the whole scene could have been painted a little differently and given the same affect without as much skeptisism.  Maybe not have him come on so strong from the get-go?  I'm not sure.  His whole character doesn't sit well with me at this point (Again, I read forward, so this is all I"m going to say at this point.)  What I can say is that his mom weirds me out too.  Clearly delusional and in denial.  What I find funny in all of this is Nora's mom.  The woman is so protecting but runs out of town?  I never got that.  I mean I do and it flows really well with the whole book BUT it's one of those head shaking things when her motherly ramblings annoy you.  I want to say "Woman, you aren't even there, you think she's going to listen to what you have to say." 

Chapter 4:  Not much here.  I think I was sort of in the book lull at this point (not a bad lull, just nothing here really impacting me too much.) It surprises me how much Nora picks up on things.  I ask myself how can she understand Scotts situation so well, and know what he is, accept it, etc. yet can't accept Patches need to stay somewhat detached.  The whole she's a teenager excuse starts to wear itself out right around this point BUT it starts to become clear that there could have possibly been more info divuldged to Nora and that had it been divuldged by Patch that maybe she wouldn't have been so crazy about the situation to begin with.

Chapter 5:  So maddening at this point- and totally loving it (had to double check where we are leaving off here.)  The whole Nora-Patch thing has now turned into a pride issue to a point, which is a natural cause and effect of this type of termoil.  You tell someone not to do something and of course they are going to do it when they are upset at you.

I do have one thing that I am sort of nit picking on.  Nora's neediness is a bit of a touchy subject.  I am a young mom and I totally see where her neediness and dependancy on Patch at such a young age can be a bit much- sending out the wrong singal like someone else said?  At the same time, this is a book and the fact there are teens still reading is awesome given everything else out there that has seemed to consume teens (video games, ipods, social networking, keeping up with the crowd, etc.)  I think maybe Nora's character could possibly use a bit more rounding out (at this point.)  Being able to stand on your own two feet isn't a bad thing- but yet- we are only up to chapter 5 and she isn't giving herself up to vampirism to stay with her controlling boyfriend.  So in comparrison to what else I have read- moral wise- this is pretty mild considering the circumstances and fantasy of this book.

Overall: Becca has an amazing way of painting the book out for me so far.  I wish I could say more YA authors are like that and I'm the first to admit I loved a book for such and such reasons but that the book lacked.   (Up to Ch5) Crescendo isn't lacking.  Maddening at times, yes, but that is what keeps us reading.  I know I love happily-ever-afters, but even I get tired of books that are anti-climatic.  I mean, I read the whole book in a sitting despite my best efforts to put it down.

I do have to comment that I love the best friend.  She adds the 'real' factor... the anchor... that this type of story needs.  I love her whole being- from her self described weight, to her acceptance of it, to her trust in her best friend, her overall attitude.  She's a breath of fresh air to counteract her (crazy, lol) best frien, Nora.

Yes- this was totally long, but that is what I've got to say up to this point.

Inspired Contributor
smaria
0 Kudos

Hello everyone!:smileyhappy: I'm sad to say that I'm about half way through the book. Like everyone else..I couldn't resist. I found the prologue interesting. It left me with questions that I hope get answered later on in the book. I was surprised when Nora admitted to Patch that she loved him. I wasn't really fond of this. And Marcie annoys the heck out of me. But i like Nora's pride. She obviously won't just fall in Patch's arms and forgive him. But it's annoying at the same time because at one time she wants him back and in the other times she speaks like she hates him. But overall, i really like the book so far.

Contributor
harleygirl805

Joining the discussion a bit late, but made it through the first 5 chapters and had to force myself to stop.  So far, so good.  Loved the prologue and the backstory with Nora's father.   I look forward to seeing how that plays out and if we find out who the shooter is.  Nora's insecurity over telling Patch that she loves him and not getting a response has been kind of annoying, though as others have pointed out, she and Patch do have quite the history.  I'm intrigued to see where the story goes in the next set of chapters.  Haven't quite formed an opinion of Scott yet.  And I am interested to find out about Nora's dreams and who the man was who looked like her father. 

Contributor
bookescapest
0 Kudos

I've read through the whole book, and was competely sucked in. I won't go on and spoil it, just talk about the first 5 chapters.

I'll start with Nora's father. I was really excited to learn more about what happened to him. I really thought that perhaps it was someone else making her see images of her father when he wasn't really there, like in the gym in the first book.

I saw a lot of people say that Nora's more needy this book, but I think if your a girl and you think of that first love, you probably held onto that really tightly. Not all girls are heroines. She is pretty much like most teenage girls, atleast when I was a teenager, where they're looking for someone who loves them, and who they can count on no matter what. I think with such unsteady characters, like her mother, a father who died, that she's just holding onto whatever she can. She's hoping that Patch can be that rock for her.

Contributor
SweetLadyJess
0 Kudos

Hahaha! I though we were suppose to have read the entire book by today. I just finished it right now! Going to do everything I can to avoid posting spoilers. The first 5 chapters starts with Nora being really needy and clingy to Patch. Now, keep in mind that I've never had a boyfriend before so that might be fueling my annoyance with Nora. We also have a new guy in the picture named Scott so looks like is going to be the contender for Nora's heart, or at least, this is what usually happens when a new boy is introduced. Sounds hot! Then the big one! Patch and Nora's relationship looks happy in the beginning but then heads downhill when Marcie gets placed in the picture. Really want to kill that doll. Uggh!
Inspired Contributor
a_gilmore_girl129
0 Kudos

The prologue totally set my sirens off I questioned immediately whether it was Patch who killed Nora's father or not. I mean if he did it would just intensify the friction between Patch and Nora at this point. Can someone please enlighten me on what a Nephilim is? Yes, I read Hush Hush but its been a year and I am so confused about what they are talking about. I do think though that Nora is acting a lot weaker than she was in Hush Hush and I agree with bookescapest  that the reason why she is acting the way she is, is because she is in love and its her first real love. I feel as if she is scared and lost and doesn't really know how to control herself and just think when she is around Patch. One thing I don't get is why should Nora push away the one person she really cares about just so his butt is saved. I just hope the rough patch that they are going through gets resolved and they get back together because I honestly think they belong together.

My Blog:http://cobforever.blogspot.com/
Reader
Ari15
0 Kudos

I loved Crescendo!!! Although the ending was a bit shaky -.-

Reader
Ari15

A nephilim is basically  a child between an angel and a human. The fallen angels inhabit their bodies because they are basically their descendent's. All in all, Nephilim are the reason some angels fell.

Contributor
bookcrazyme
0 Kudos

I haven't actually started reading yet but I have flipped through and skimmed a few pages in anticipation and from what I can tell, Becca Fitzpatrick's still got it. As in she still has that ability to write vivid descriptions and plots that keep me flipping pages at the speed of light. I can't wait to start but I'm also reluctant to as I don't want to wait another year and some months for TEMPEST! 

Okay now I have started the book :smileyhappy: I thought the prologue was a bit stilted as in the dialogue felt a bit unreal, but now that I've reached Chapter 1 I feel like I've returned to Nora's world and it's already hitting its stride... Nora's taking chemistry class...haha that's pretty funny as I was taking chemistry class over the summer as well. I can't wait for more humor and fun and horror but I'll end here...can't wait for some conflict to start! :smileyvery-happy:

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

bookcrazyme wrote:

I haven't actually started reading yet but I have flipped through and skimmed a few pages in anticipation and from what I can tell, Becca Fitzpatrick's still got it. As in she still has that ability to write vivid descriptions and plots that keep me flipping pages at the speed of light. I can't wait to start but I'm also reluctant to as I don't want to wait another year and some months for TEMPEST! 

Okay now I have started the book :smileyhappy: I thought the prologue was a bit stilted as in the dialogue felt a bit unreal, but now that I've reached Chapter 1 I feel like I've returned to Nora's world and it's already hitting its stride... Nora's taking chemistry class...haha that's pretty funny as I was taking chemistry class over the summer as well. I can't wait for more humor and fun and horror but I'll end here...can't wait for some conflict to start! :smileyvery-happy:

Hi bookcrazyme,I know exactly what you mean..Becca has us loving "Crescendo",after a year,Hush,Hush,imprinted on my brain,and some questions answered,  will only go as far as Chapter 10..The friction and twists almost on every page,(I did finish Crescendo) leaves us once again wanting more....many scenarios,but the one that keeps coming up,just for discussion purposes, for now,Vee and Rixon, ,,That floored me.Becca has The Gift...I can't wait for her return to BN next week..She is amazing to chat with..."Tempest " I hope not another year,we will find out..Susan...

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
0 Kudos

Vermontcozy wrote:

bookcrazyme wrote:

Hi bookcrazyme,I know exactly what you mean..Becca has us loving "Crescendo",after a year,Hush,Hush,imprinted on my brain,and some questions answered,  will only go as far as Chapter 10..The friction and twists almost on every page,(I did finish Crescendo) leaves us once again wanting more....many scenarios,but the one that keeps coming up,just for discussion purposes, for now,Vee and Rixon, ,,That floored me.Becca has The Gift...I can't wait for her return to BN next week..She is amazing to chat with..."Tempest " I hope not another year,we will find out..Susan...

Your are both where I am at. It is so fun to visit this world of Patch and Nora again. Becca writes a great story. I love all the ups and downs with the characters and their relationships.

I have to say as an older participant, that females have a lot of highs and lows in their relationships. I don't care what age the female is. I have seen women my age act just like Norah where love is concerned. Love is the factor that just throws common sense out the window.