Inspired Contributor
kristyn711

Re: Crescendo Discussion

thewanderingjew wrote:

Of course, we have all wanted to haul off and smash someone who hurt us, at one time or another, but we don't. As mature people we know that it is a very inappropriate and unwise behavior. There are more sensible ways to solve our problems than with our fists.

For me, I would NEVER in a million years act on any of the things you mentioned.  I guess the only reason I was so glad to see Nora stand up for herself, was because this is just a book.  We are being bombarded with stories of kids being bullied and taking their lives, or just living in constant fear and depression.  Having been inundated for such a long time with those stores, I guess it was just nice for once that a character that was being picked on so severely finally stood up for herself.  While I would never use violence to do this, as I think it always ends poorly, Becca chose this as her platform.

"A room without books is like a body without a soul." ~ Cicero

"My test of a good novel is dreading to begin the last chapter." ~ Thomas Helm
Inspired Contributor
kristyn711

Chapter 11:  I cannot believe Nora was drugged, and as much as I am annoyed with Patch right now, I don’t think he would do that to her.  I think it was interesting at the end of the chapter that Nora was finally able to see that she really did need him.  I am curious to see if this changes the dynamic (well, tension) between them.

Chapter 12:  Although I know Nora is desperate, it seems a bit risky to steal Marcie’s diary from her bedroom.  If Patch hadn’t shown up, she would’ve been in real trouble.  And speaking of Patch, this scene was so incredibly bittersweet.  He finally told her everything the hopeless romantics wanted him to tell her, and she finally realized she couldn’t live with him destroyed.  I really thought the end of this chapter was really well done.  Well, maybe I was just glad Patch FINALLY let Nora know how hard this has been for him.

Chapter 13:  I really wish Nora would stay away from Scott.  He is the last person she should be hanging out with, especially since he was drunk.  Even though Scott almost acted normal, I just have a bad vibe about him.

Chapter 14:  Wow.  First there was Patch trying to protect Nora from Scott.  Then, there was Scott’s revelation about what he knows.  This was a very full chapter in terms of information and what was going on.

Chapter 15:  While I am glad Rixon was willing to talk to Nora about patch, part of me wishes he had not been so incredibly honest.  Telling Nora Patch should be allowed to have fun, that they’re alike, etc. just made me feel for Nora.  Rixon’s conversation with her only seemed to reinforce her belief that Patch didn’t really care, which we all know isn’t true.  I also didn’t like the idea of Vee and Rixon double dating with Patch and Marcie.  It feels like a validation of a “relationship” or whatever is going on with them.

Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Nora was often as cruel as Marcie but she seemed to be unaware or unconcerned about the consequences of her behavior and often the author did not write in any consequences at all. I found that a bit disheartening.

I do agree, though, that Nora and others in that postion should stand up for themselves, if they can. Being bullied is the worst form of abuse, especially for young people because one of the things it does is make one feel helpless and out of control at a time of life when becoming independent is so important.

I would really like to know the basis for all of this unhappiness, anger, frustration. The world has never been a perfect place but it seems that today, behavioral abuses are worse. If we don't find out why this is happening, it will not get better. Too many young teens seem unhappy. At a time when they should be eagerly facing a bright future, why do some see the future as so bleak?  

We need to help these teens. They are the future.

I hope you didn't think I was accusing anyone or was making a personal attack against  anyone on the site because of their views. Perhaps I didn't state it well. I am genuinely interested in finding out from where all the anger is coming, all this bullying behavior, today, in both the older and younger generations. It seems to be everywhere. It exhibits itself in books, movies, politics, demonstrations, media, entertainment, athletics, you name it, every possible avenue is rife with people flaunting, bending or stretching the rules and demanding their rights while denying them to others, often in a way that is too physical and threatening. Maybe we need a bit more structure in our lives so we understand, or are more aware of, acceptable boundaries.

kristyn711 wrote:
thewanderingjew
 wrote:

Of course, we have all wanted to haul off and smash someone who hurt us, at one time or another, but we don't. As mature people we know that it is a very inappropriate and unwise behavior. There are more sensible ways to solve our problems than with our fists.

For me, I would NEVER in a million years act on any of the things you mentioned.  I guess the only reason I was so glad to see Nora stand up for herself, was because this is just a book.  We are being bombarded with stories of kids being bullied and taking their lives, or just living in constant fear and depression.  Having been inundated for such a long time with those stores, I guess it was just nice for once that a character that was being picked on so severely finally stood up for herself.  While I would never use violence to do this, as I think it always ends poorly, Becca chose this as her platform.

Contributor
JHabeck
0 Kudos

Alright I must confess. I was following the scedule until last night. COULD NOT PUT IT DOWN! I had to finish it, I just had to. It was one thing after another and I had to know what was going to happen. I won't spoil it for everyone else, I promise.

You know you've read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.
~Paul Sweeney
Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
0 Kudos

JHabeck wrote:

Alright I must confess. I was following the scedule until last night. COULD NOT PUT IT DOWN! I had to finish it, I just had to. It was one thing after another and I had to know what was going to happen. I won't spoil it for everyone else, I promise.

Good for you!

I think I will be finishing it tonight. I can't imagine trying to wait any longer.

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Åh, I haven't had time to finish it yet. I'm trying to get through about a dozen other reads including the one featured on my own club here :-) But over the weekend I will finish it.

Inspired Contributor
kristyn711
0 Kudos

thewanderingjew wrote:

I hope you didn't think I was accusing anyone or was making a personal attack against  anyone on the site because of their views. Perhaps I didn't state it well. I am genuinely interested in finding out from where all the anger is coming, all this bullying behavior, today, in both the older and younger generations. It seems to be everywhere.

Oh heavens, no!  I didn't take it like that at all.  I think this is a discussion that needs to be happening, both due to real life events and novels.  Perhaps novels like this are a good way for people to discuss with their YA-aged readers what the consequences of these actions really are, etc.  We are actually in complete agreement.  I just felt bad when I re-read an earlier post of mine mentioning this fact.

Frequent Contributor
Lblaze
0 Kudos

Sarah-W wrote:

A common theme in this book is the question of who can Nora trust? Her mother is simultaneously overprotective and totally unavailable. Patch seems fickle and undependable. Scott is clearly a basket case. Even Vee has a tendency to get caught up with her boyfriends and leave Nora on her own. At least Marcie can be depended upon to be a bully!

I absolutely agree with what you said...trust is the larger theme of this book for sure. Who can Nora trust? Who knows more about Nora's father than is letting on? Who is RESPONSIBLE for his death. Why is someone clearly targeting Nora now? There are so many mysteries in this book. When I feel annoyed with Nora and the way she's handling Patch, I try to remember that she really is all alone and to go easier on her. Patch was someone she thought she could trust and he left her hurt and confused.

Frequent Contributor
AIRKNITTER
0 Kudos

What an incredible group of women are in this group. (Apologies sincerely offered to males who may be in the group).

Thanks for sharing your honest opinions. Makes for some great reading.

Aine

Children are the living message we send to a time we will not see.
Frequent Contributor
All-Things-Stephen-King

Crescendo 11-15

The book has been dragging on for me so far but my 13 year old son has been enjoying it.  He has been having me read it to him aloud.  (Audio books are a favorite of his.) 

To this point, he hasn't gotten the entire story from Hush, Hush, he saw that we got an ARC and was curious what the story was about since he saw that I finished the first book in a couple of days.  I began reading Hush, Hush to him about a week ago but we have been focused on Crescendo mostly. 

He is trying to piece together exactly how Scott plays into the story.  He is a little irritated by how naive Vee and Nora seem to be.  He thinks that they make unwise decisions.  (As his parent, it makes me feel happy that he can recognize bad decisions.)  My son has some suspicions about who killed Nora’s father but we’ll have to see how everyone plays into this twisted web.      

Contributor
Chrissy17104
0 Kudos

At this point in the book another dip in the rollercoster happend. First Patch revels that he will give up everything for Nora and accept his "fate" this is the bittersweet upswing, then to have everything come crashing down with the news of Patch having been known as the black hand in the past.

I really do enjoy the ups and downs in the book, it keeps you on your toes.

Contributor
Forbidden_Love

[ Edited ]

Chrissy, completely agree!  This entire book is a roller coaster.  Obviously the arch angel roller coaster is a metaphor...

Contributor
melNaac
0 Kudos

I thought that too about the arch angel rollercoaster!

I keep getting hung up on when patch comes into the room where Scott and Nora are, at Scott's house, and he says to Nora something like, "He isn't worth it... and neither am I"

I guess I really didn't see his doubt until then. :smileyindifferent:

Contributor
Einstein3D
0 Kudos

I was completely and utterly shocked when I read that Patch was known as the black hand - it makes me wonder if he isn't really "in love" with Nora but is with her because he killed her dad and he thinks it is fun to toy with her now?  What a shocker!

I was also a bit surprised at Nora being somewhat mean to Marcie as well - up to this point in the story, I thought Nora was a "bigger" person than that. Something to think about though.

I will definitely be reading Hush, Hush as soon as possible!

Distinguished Wordsmith
Zeal
0 Kudos

Bonnie_C wrote:

Just a few in general thoughts.

If anyone needs a guardian angel, it's Nora.  That girl really does let her emotions get the best of her and in turn makes some really stupid decisions.

The absence of parents in both Hush Hush and Crescendo reminds me of watching Charlie Brown cartoons and wondering "Where are their parents?"  But I do realize that the absence of parental control allows for the teens to take charge of the story.

I also think I need to take the class Angels 101 or read Angels For Dummies.  I found myself befuddled at the innerworkings of this realm of beings.  Maybe after the discussion gets started things will become clearer for me.

I will have to say though, I finished this book and I truly had a good time doing it.

Bonnie

Bonnie,

I love your comparison to the Charlie Brown series...how original!!  If you find that book on Angels For Dummies, pass a copy onto me...I totally understand your confusion.  It was pretty frustrating for me at times.

"I learned to dream through reading, learned to create dreams through writing, and learned to develop dreamers through teaching. I shall always be a dreamer."
Sharon Draper
Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat

I think the characters are rather interesting how the evolved from Hush, Hush to Crescendo. Nora is annoying as everyone is saying and continues to be annoying. She was not like that in HH. Patch is now a guardian angel and can't fall in love with Nora as the archangels are watching him. He seems to hem and haw about whether he should be with Nora or not. He gives me the impression of instability. Vee has her own agenda as she has a boyfriend, Rixon, who is friends with Patch. In HH, she was always available for Nora, always driving her places, always by her side. Then we have Marcie, who is trying to be a sex kitten and is a thorn in Nora's side as Marcie is very interested in Patch. Scott is very creepy and dangerous as well. More of him will be revealed later. Nora's mother never is at home, claiming her job takes her away for several days, leaving Nora at night. More on her in the last few chapters. Rixon at least explained to Nora who Patch is and more of that will be revealed in the last chapters. The prologue really is the key to the book and Becca has done a wonderful job in getting the characters together for the ending.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
Contributor
amomthatlovestoread
0 Kudos

I totally agree with Bonnie and Debbie.

Nora does have alot on her plate.

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Einstein3D wrote:

I was completely and utterly shocked when I read that Patch was known as the black hand - it makes me wonder if he isn't really "in love" with Nora but is with her because he killed her dad and he thinks it is fun to toy with her now?  What a shocker!

I was also a bit surprised at Nora being somewhat mean to Marcie as well - up to this point in the story, I thought Nora was a "bigger" person than that. Something to think about though.

I will definitely be reading Hush, Hush as soon as possible!

Einstein3D...I know it will make a difference,when you read HH..Its so entirely different,leading up to Crescendo,so you will be amazed at all the action...You will appreciate the Back,Back Story,,,Glad you are here discussing,though...Susan Vtc...

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Distinguished Wordsmith
Zeal
0 Kudos

thewanderingjew wrote:

Isn't it funny how we often like or dislike a book based on whether or not we like the characters, even though they are made up from thin air? We somehow make them real in our minds and judge their behavior, that is, if the author paints a good picture of them for us and this author did. It sometimes feels really frustrating because we can't intervene and shake Nora or Scott or her mom or his or any of the characters and shout at them to behave with a bit more common sense. LOL, it is like our own "fantasy reality show", kind of a contradiction in terms but boy do I want to shake someone every now and then.

This is so true!!  This has happened to me more times than I can remember.  It's funny though, when people talk about characters (actors/actresses) on television as if they are real people, it drives me crazy!!!  However, it doesn't seem to bother me when it involves a book.  Guess I'm just as bad as they are.

"I learned to dream through reading, learned to create dreams through writing, and learned to develop dreamers through teaching. I shall always be a dreamer."
Sharon Draper
Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

All-Things-Stephen-King wrote:

Crescendo 11-15

The book has been dragging on for me so far but my 13 year old son has been enjoying it.  He has been having me read it to him aloud.  (Audio books are a favorite of his.) 

To this point, he hasn't gotten the entire story from Hush, Hush, he saw that we got an ARC and was curious what the story was about since he saw that I finished the first book in a couple of days.  I began reading Hush, Hush to him about a week ago but we have been focused on Crescendo mostly. 

He is trying to piece together exactly how Scott plays into the story.  He is a little irritated by how naive Vee and Nora seem to be.  He thinks that they make unwise decisions.  (As his parent, it makes me feel happy that he can recognize bad decisions.)  My son has some suspicions about who killed Nora’s father but we’ll have to see how everyone plays into this twisted web.      

Glad your son is interested in "Hush,Hush "and "Crescendo"..Its a very gender friendly Series and Becca knows her audience ,,She weaves quite a story..Exposure is so important..He can post,through you..That would be Great..Or on his own..His thoughts are just as important as ours...Susan Vtc Love your BN Name..Are you a Haven Fan?

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer