Contributor
BreaEssex

Re: Crescendo Discussion

Okay, I thought Nora was a little crazy throughout this whole book when she thought Patch was the one trying to kill her.  She's already been there and I think he proved that he wasn't going to try to kill her anymore.  That being said, I'm wondering if Nora and Marcie are going to start getting along a little better now that Nora knows they are half-sisters.  I'm also wondering if and when Marcie is going to find out that it's true.  I also have to add that Vee is probably going to hold Rixon's death against Nora, even if she doesn't find out that Rixon died because of Nora.  I feel bad for Vee.  She always ends up with the crazy guys!

http://breaessex.blogspot.com/
Frequent Contributor
Lblaze
0 Kudos

This book ended on the biggest cliffhanger ever. My jaw was on the floor by the end. I did not see any of that coming whatsoever! I was so relieved that Patch didn't kill Nora's dad, I was really freaking out a bit over that!! 

BreaEssex wrote:

I also have to add that Vee is probably going to hold Rixon's death against Nora, even if she doesn't find out that Rixon died because of Nora.  I feel bad for Vee.  She always ends up with the crazy guys!

I'm also worried that Vee will hold this against Nora. I might be time for Nora to let her in on everything thats going on...

I loved Crescendo even more than Hush, Hush. I can't believe I have to wait a whole year for the next book!

Contributor
beadedchihuahua
0 Kudos

Yes, I agree the end was a definite cliff hanger. Vee will probabley hate Nora after she finds out about Rixon because she was really happy with him. I still can't believe that Nora's biological father is the Hand. You would think that he would be trying to save her. Where was he when Rixon was stalking and planning Nora's death.

Lblaze wrote:

This book ended on the biggest cliffhanger ever. My jaw was on the floor by the end. I did not see any of that coming whatsoever! I was so relieved that Patch didn't kill Nora's dad, I was really freaking out a bit over that!! 

BreaEssex wrote:

I also have to add that Vee is probably going to hold Rixon's death against Nora, even if she doesn't find out that Rixon died because of Nora.  I feel bad for Vee.  She always ends up with the crazy guys!

I'm also worried that Vee will hold this against Nora. I might be time for Nora to let her in on everything thats going on...

I loved Crescendo even more than Hush, Hush. I can't believe I have to wait a whole year for the next book!

Inspired Contributor
gmfuhlman
0 Kudos

Yes it would make you mad, but we have to remember that this is young love. There are a lot of people who sometime become weak when they think that the guy that they love doesn’t say are do the things that you want them to do.

I also agree about in Hush, Hush she was a lot stronger than she is in these chapters.

Inspired Contributor
gmfuhlman
0 Kudos

I think you might have something about feeling, and Scott I just don't see what she sees in him.  My thought is that Patch is so difference than Scott, and why you would pick such a guy in the first place?

Sarah-W
0 Kudos

Re: Crescendo Discussion: Spoilers!

The sacrificial aspect is a good point. As is the fact that Delphic Par was built by fallen angels and is therefore a place where the archangels aren't likely to show up or interfere.

Contributor
Chrissy17104
0 Kudos

The cliffhanger at the end is amazingly horrible, a whole year till we can find out what happens next!

I ahve to agree that i dont see a way for Nora to save her freindship with Vee without telling her everything. One evil BF killed, you can call it a coincidence but two? Yah gonna need something more than "hey im sorry".

Inspired Correspondent
bookrooted
0 Kudos

I just began to wonder about this while re-reading the last page- if Hank is immortal and has been around for a few centuries, you would think he would have had a fling or two with woman over the years. Maybe he never had a girl, but isnt it suspicious that Nora would be his first kid? Only the firstborn daughters get sacrificed right? If not, or just in general, Hank has had the chance and possibility to have conceived children early on. Was just thinking about that.

And i know someone mentioned this earlier, that with Nora's history, wouldn't she have an interesting gene pool? If she is related to Harrison-who was Nephilim too I think-and Hank, wouldn't her strengths or maybe vulnerability be greater than?

And now that Patch has gone rogue, surely the Archangels from Heaven are going to be more involved in Tempest. Will they cast Patch to hell, will they have to fight the society to get a hold of him, will they come after Nora for bait or for some other reason? I'm curious to see how they are going to be in the next book.

----------------------------------------------
Contributor
A_Readers_Record

Re: Crescendo Discussion - Small Spoilers Possibly

Totally lost everyone for a few days- Had one of those 24 hour bugs and couldn't make it through my normal daily tasks let alone additional tasks.

Commenting on the end of the story- it was quite on par and fitting for the whole book though.  Right?  It is maddening yes, but could you really expect anything less?  Everything was so whole heartedly passionate throughout the whole book- on the verge of annoying where Nora's crazy grasp on her emotions and reality were concerned. 

Some of you keep mentioning how will Vee take Rixon's death.  Well, she won't.  She already has suspicions about Nora's involvement with a previous death.  Vee, being the quirky best friend she is pushed through once, but again?  Probably not if her past behavior is any indication how she will take it.  From the beginning I semi saw through Rixon and thought his relationship with Vee was odd.  None of it made sense to me- or the fact how Vee didn't squeal about it the first moment it happened.  It was such a casual mentioning compared to Vee's typical personality and tendencies.  Rixon fed Vee with enough to keep her afloat and make her believe that someone was truly happy with her (and not crazy- lol) and accepted her for her.... she won't believe anything could have been bad about him unless all bets are off and she is confided in.  I mean, look at how Patch acted.  Vee will comment that Rixon had issues with Patch too- no doubt Rixon covered his tracks and bases well or he wouldn't have gotten that close no matter the circumstances to Nora and Vee. 

It'll be interesting to see what happens there- along with Scott.  I am interested to see if he stays exactly where he is now or if he somehow shows back up.  My gut says Becca will surprise us with that one but I can't help but think that his story isn't done yet and that maybe his tie to Nora goes a bit deeper, despite her feelings for Patch and his for her.  That might just be me though- I might be seeing a story where it doesn't belong... but like RIxon... something about that whole situation didn't sit well with me.  The fact Nora knows the truth, and *was* friends with him when they were litttle gives them a little bit of an underlying connection and possibly compassion if Patch and Nora's story doesn't go as smoothly as what some might hope.  We all know nothing with Nora and Patch is smooth though.

Oh, then that whole deal with her mother!  THAT ONE I never saw coming.... I don't even know how to comment on that but it definitely helped bridge two sections of the story and add more questions into the mix.

I do have to say I don't know if I can wait a whole year for another book :-)  I mean, this one hasn't officially released and I'm already going insane with all of the possibilities.

Despite my qualms with Nora and her insecurities (and ability to process such insane love but not process simple concepts) I do think the book is absolutely fab and believe Nora fits her story.

Contributor
firegirl3
0 Kudos

I actually prefer a good book with a great cliffhanger....as long as I can look forward to a followup book. This book did not disappoint. I think that there is alot more to be learned about Patch. I agree that the relationship with Vee will struggle because of Rixon's death. And I think that we will learn more details about Marcie and her deeper involvement with nephalim. I wouldn't be surprised if a future book reveals some new superpowers for nora.

Contributor
alie
0 Kudos

Sorry I have been mia the last three days, work got in the way of reading. lol.  I totally enjoyed the end of the book.  My jaw is still on the ground from the end of the book. I did not see that coming.  I really don't like Marcie tho, so hopefully she changes in the third book.

Love ya
~Stacy~
Contributor
Lycan731
0 Kudos

Overall i loved the book. But seeing as how Hush,Hush ended in such a happy note, I was a bit thrown out when out of the blue, Nora breaks it up with Patch. Another thing that i tought came out of nowhere was the whole vee-Rixon thing....not believable. What i did love, was the whole marcie thing and the plot involving what really happened to Nora's dad. At first I was all, "Patch couldn't have!!", but as soon as Nora started to believe that Patch was responsibel, I knew it wasn't true. The last scenes involvong Rixon and Nora were great, and the endoong is awesome. It's an excellent cliffhanger. Enought to start building up the excitement for "Tempest", but not bad enough that i would have hated Becca for letting us hanging like that.

Inspired Contributor
kristyn711
0 Kudos

People keep mentioning Vee's reaction to Rixon's death.  I am curious how Becca will deal with this subject.  I don't see Vee not being Nora's friend in the next book, so it will either be a secret to Vee (probably won't work) or Nora finally tells Vee what is going on (I lean towards this answer).  I also feel like Nora will really need Vee's support after the cliffhanger ending, so taking away Vee just seems a bit much after EVERYTHING Nora has been through in the previous 2 books.

"A room without books is like a body without a soul." ~ Cicero

"My test of a good novel is dreading to begin the last chapter." ~ Thomas Helm
Frequent Contributor
girlie0620
0 Kudos

I loved the cliffhanger but have to agree that it will be difficult to wait a year to see what happens next.

Will we finally see what is going on with Nora's mom? I hope Nora can finally tell Vee what has been happening..she needs support and Vee deserves some honesty. I really didn't expect that ending though..I mean I was all excited for Nora and Patch to have 5 minutes of "happy" together and then...... 

What a great second book.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Zeal

Certainly everyone is not going to enjoy the same type of book, but I am curious as to what made you sign up for Crescendo if you hated Hush, Hush so much.  Obviously a sequel is going to have the same characters and continue the same story line.  Although Nora's character got more needy, we saw some of these behaviors in Hush, Hush.  Don't you think it would have been better to leave your advanced copy for someone who enjoyed the first book?  There were many people who did not get into the discussion due to limited copies of the book.
nelliebly1025 wrote:

After reading hush, hush, and being severely disappointed, I hoped Crescendo would make a strong comeback. My hopes were quickly destroyed. I had to force myself to finish it. This book is even worse than hush, hush! The characters have gotten more annoying, and the story line is completely out of whack. Here are my words to describe Nora, the lead character, annoying, stupid, liar, thief, and idiot. Vee, her best friend is even more annoying that last time. Patch is on the tip of driving you crazy, but thankfully he isn't in this much. It is just the same thing through the entire book, Nora and Vee, "Lets play spy like we are 10 years old!" "Yea good idea, lets steal things that aren't ours, stalk people, and break into place illegally!" Lame. They honestly do this four or five times throughout the book. After the second, it gets really old. Nora steals things left and right, yea thats a really good example. Then she thinks its a good idea to follow and stalk people that are obviously dangerous. She purposely puts herself into dangerous positions even though she tells herself it is wrong.

The story line is completely bogus. It doesn't keep track with anything that is going on. Once, Nora gets a card from Patch that has a drug in it that makes her pass out, and the next day she feels safe enough to talk calmly to him. WHAT?!?!? If you don't trust this guy, and he is obviously involved with someone you hate, why are you being so naive? UGH!

It is just an awful book. The characters lack character, the plot is a plop. I do admit, the ending was better than I had hoped for, but not by much. I am sorry to all hush, hush fans, but this book sucks.

"I learned to dream through reading, learned to create dreams through writing, and learned to develop dreamers through teaching. I shall always be a dreamer."
Sharon Draper
Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew

Hi,

You have an interesting pen name. Nellie Bly was a female journalist famous for exposing mental institutions by faking mental illness and writing about the view from the inside and for her Jules Verne like trip around the world.

I read your review of Crescendo. I was a bit taken aback by the way you expressed your dislike for it. It was rather harsh. I was wondering if you could try to be a little less brutal next time since your remarks  felt almost cruel. I am sure your intent was not to hurt or insult the author, but rather just to express your opinion which I think was commendable in its honesty, I just think it could be interpreted as hurtful  in its approach.

If you don't like the book, I can understand that, that is what makes horse racing, but if you explain that you didn't think it was developed well and the characters lacked enough substance for you, I think it might be easier to take than the way you wrote it. I felt like you were almost trying to "bully" the author and other readers into your way of thinking. If I felt so shocked, can you imagine what the author will feel when she reads it?

I hope you will not be offended by my comments.

nelliebly1025 wrote:

edited.....The story line is completely bogus. It doesn't keep track with anything that is going on. Once, Nora gets a card from Patch that has a drug in it that makes her pass out, and the next day she feels safe enough to talk calmly to him. WHAT?!?!? If you don't trust this guy, and he is obviously involved with someone you hate, why are you being so naive? UGH!

It is just an awful book. The characters lack character, the plot is a plop. I do admit, the ending was better than I had hoped for, but not by much. I am sorry to all hush, hush fans, but this book sucks.

Frequent Contributor
CharminKB

First of all - Thank You B&N for the chance to view this book early!!!  I have spent the better part of my morning reading through a lot of these posts and really enjoy the different views and opinions on this book...but I will say this, personally, I thoroughly enjoyed this book and the cliffhanger made it all the better for me!  I know a book is really interesting when I can really anticipate the next in the series and I will be eagerly awaiting this one!  I was introduced to Hush, Hush just a few months ago - so I fortunately didn't have to wait long for the re-visit with them:-)

While I agree with many of the posts of the attitudes of the characters (Nora in particular) I also enjoy them for what they are - teens!!  I am swimming on the early side of 30 and while I am already far from my teen years, I find that I really enjoy YA books because of the drama.  When you are that age EVERYTHING is such a big deal (of course, I can't say I ever had to deal with fallen angels or the like!) - but for me, it's just refreshing to read a good story where the drama is teen love and teen "problems" and not about mortgages and terrorism and politics.  While I read just about any type of book - and enjoy a wide variety of books - I admit that YA is an area I like to go to for my fun reads---and this was certainly fun for me...my only regret is that I read it too fast!  Again, I will be eagerly awaiting the next!

Distinguished Correspondent
flouncyninja
0 Kudos

I'm crazy behind on the reading schedule due to illness and some family stuff, but I managed to get through the first five chapters last night and hope to get some more read tonight.  Here are some initial thoughts:

- I'm glad Nora's mom wasn't featured that much in the first book because she got annoying to me very quickly.  She's very wishy washy and "say one thing, but do another", which were qualities in Nora that got to me after a while in Hush, Hush.  I'm hoping she spends a good portion of the book doing her usual travel thing.

- I'm really enjoying getting glimpses into how all the fallen angels fit into the society in this small Maine town.  I'm still a little uncertain as to why Maine is a hotbed for fallen angel and Nephil activity, but I like that we're seeing more beyond Patch and Rixon.

- The flashback/dream to Marcie Millar's father in centuries past was a nice development that gave a lot of background to Marcie's interest in Patch's lack of history in his school file.  I'm curious to learn more about the differences between a pureblood Nephil and its/their descendents.  Why hasn't any fallen angels attempted to turn Nora into a vassal?  Or is that something only the first generation have to face.

I'm definitely intrigued.  Look forward to reading more and seeing what everyone else has thought.

Reader 4
Riley715
0 Kudos

After rereading Crescendo, I liked it even better the second time around. Nora was very annoying through the book, she never once stopped to really think about what she was doing. But then again I didn't either when I was sixteen. If you take it for what it is, thew whole story is really good. I have to admit I was much more interested in what the other characters were doing instead  Nora.  I wish Patch had talked to her more and talk about a GREAT ending. OMG, Loved it, everything with Rixon and then the cliffhanger with Hank. I can't wait to see how Becca brings everything together in the 3rd book.

New User
penultimatepage
0 Kudos

I'm extremely behind because my book got lost in the mail and I only got it on Friday, but I'm trying to read fast so I can participate in the discussion :smileyhappy: