Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Scribe
Lexa555
0 Kudos

Re: Crescendo Discussion

I think that although we don't like this break between Nora and Patch that it might be a good thing for Nora. Breaking up with a person always hurts but sometimes in the end it helps you to figure out who you are and what you want. It helps a person to feel stronger because they can say they had a rough time but now they are slowly but surely getting over it. Plus sometimes when you step back from a relationship it is easier to see whether or not you should be with that person again. For the purpose of this book though I hope they end up back together because I'm a hopeless romantic in that way.

Pages of Forbidden Love
http://pages-of-forbidden-love.blogspot.com/
Contributor
Reading_Seductress
0 Kudos

I love how this book starts out so intense and full of emotion. My heart was breaking for Nora not getting the I love you from Patch. I loved how they each exchanged something that meant so much to them. I have to admit when I read that part I could only think 'Oh, how sweet'. How could Nora not know that he loves her as much as she does him. It tore my heart out at the end of chapter 5 when Nora did what she did. Was I the only one who wanted to cry numerous times while reading these first 5 chapters? Come on admit it I can't be the only one here :smileyindifferent:

Scott did anyone think creep from the beginning or was that just me? And how funny was it that mom tried to play match maker just to watch it blow up in her face LOL. What a jerk that guy is, really how do you treat your mom that way.

Question we are discussing he book so does that mean we can actually 'talk' about it? As in put in spoilers about it. I would hate to spoil the book for someone that is waiting to read it.

~M~:smileywink:

Sarah-W

Re: thoughts on Ch. 6 - 10

DSaff wrote: As I was reading this section last night, it hit me that Patch and Marcie, maybe even Scott, are part of a group protecting Nora. The fallen angels won't look at Patch as a threat anymore, the good angels won't be stopping him from watching over her if they think the break up is real. 

I love your interpretation. To be honest, this idea hadn't crossed my mind. I never even thought to think that Patch might not be up to the job of guardian angel... I was with Nora 100% in her frustration with his tolerance for Marcie!

I'll be very interested in what you have to say about this after you've finished the book!

Sarah-W
0 Kudos

Here's my question: if a bad angel can pretend to be Nora's dad... could a bad angel also appear in Nora's dream as Patch?

Sarah-W
0 Kudos

Fitzpatrick definitely provides a reason for Nora's mother's frequent absence as you get further into the book. Whether or not it will satisfy the past few commenters remains to be seen. I'll be very interested in hearing what you think. For me, the reason seemed sort of chilling, and turned Nora's mother into a very unreliable and totally untrustworthy character. 

A common theme in this book is the question of who can Nora trust? Her mother is simultaneously overprotective and totally unavailable. Patch seems fickle and undependable. Scott is clearly a basket case. Even Vee has a tendency to get caught up with her boyfriends and leave Nora on her own. At least Marcie can be depended upon to be a bully!

Sarah-W
0 Kudos

I'm really interested in the ways people on the board have compared Crescendo to New Moon. One of the differences between the two books is that in New Moon Edward is faraway. Bella misses him, but he's not right there in her face flaunting his relationship with her worst enemy. 

In some ways I think this makes Crescendo the more realistic of the two books. Breaking up is hard to do at any age, but one of the rotten things about being a teenager is having to continue seeing that person day after day. I think Fitzpatrick captures this frustration really well. 

Contributor
Lostnthestax
0 Kudos

Well, Marcie makes me want to pull my hair out. Some girls can be so evil :smileymad:

Out of these next five chapters my favorite scene was Nora's dream in Ch 10. Even though Nora tries to convince herself to move on from Patch there is just no denying their connection! He can reach her through her dreams, how sweet is that? (I immediately think of Lisa McMann's Wake series, which is also fantastic.) I know I should be furious with him by the end of the dream but I can't help myself, I want to like him too much. He is being so vague when he talks to Nora that I know there is more than he is letting on. This just fuels my hopes that he is a better guy than we are being led to believe.

Inspired Correspondent
bookrooted
0 Kudos

I liked how Scott wasn't the typical new character boy that are usually introduced in the following books of a series. He was creepy and had me confused [As did the whole book most the time!] but at least he wasnt trying to completely charm her overboard and didnt look like a supermodel (at least, thats how i pictured him.)

*SPOILER* I'm not sure if we already discussed this, i sort of jumped to the last pages, but in the VERY end, wasn't anyone else confused on how Hank could possibly be the Black Hand? Even more confusing was his story hundreds of years ago when he was running from the Angel. Had he known then? I think he didn't...

----------------------------------------------
Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew
0 Kudos

I think that is a great question. My answer is, why not? That would be a really interesting twist.

Sarah-W wrote:

Here's my question: if a bad angel can pretend to be Nora's dad... could a bad angel also appear in Nora's dream as Patch?

Contributor
harleygirl805

Posted this on the Chapter 6-10 Discussion thread, but figured I would post it here as well:

So, it was fun to scan through everyone's posts and see what others are thinking/feeling about the book thus far.  The 1st 5 Chapters had me intrigued, but also a little worried that Nora was getting so clingy and jealous, especially after she broke up with Patch (even if it was to protect him).  There is nothing worse than a simpering main character - it was what I disliked the most about Bella in New Moon.  And their break-up made me sad, because their relationship is what I liked most about Hush, Hush.  But, like I said, Becca also kept me intrigued since there seems to be more going on than meets the eye.  I would love to see the story from Patch's perspective.  Chapters 6-10 definitely moved at a faster pace than 1-5.  Nora's confrontations with Marcie are fun to read and I agree that Marcie is a character that you love to hate and she brings out the worse in Nora, which is fun!  This group of chapters also reminded me of New Moon in that Nora was seeking out dangerous places to get to Patch in the same way Bella took risks to catch glimpses of Edward.  I'm a sucker for a good love story and loved that Chapter 10 brought Patch and Nora back together in her dream.  I found it very hard to stop reading after that!  I want to figure out what is going on with the Black Hand, Nora's father, Scott (even though I don't particularly like him) and why Patch is hanging out with Marcie.  I am enjoying the book so far - the mystery, the intermingling of dreams and reality, and now that the pace is picking up, the drama!

New User
MarybelandCats
0 Kudos

Page after page after page . . . Can't put the book down!

Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew

Gosh, I hate to moralize again but I am actually amazed at the number of comments about the fight scene and the pleasure derived from it. Of course, we have all wanted to haul off and smash someone who hurt us, at one time or another, but we don't. As mature people we know that it is a very inappropriate and unwise behavior. There are more sensible ways to solve our problems than with our fists.

Why do so many of you enjoy the hostility? Why are teens today so angry and unable to deal with their frustrations, without wanting to act out in a physical way? Are there so many more mean kids and if so, why? I just don't remember it being such an issue when I was young. We would not think of striking out at someone but, the troublemakers were few and far between and we were afraid of the consequences, too. Also, troublemakers were caught and disciplined or removed. The only people who did engage in fights were the "bad seeds", the gang members, etc. We all knew who they were and steered clear of them. They were not the majority by any means.

It seems today it is acceptable for the good kids to behave the way the bad ones used to in my day. It doesn't feel like there is a clear division between the "toughs" and the "not so toughs", anymore, or even between acceptable and unacceptable behavior? What has happened to change the dynamic so drastically? Is it the loosening of limits, too much reliance on psychology instead of discipline? Is it drugs, drinking? Is it the content of movies and books? Something is making the young generation act up.

I am curious about what the young people would say is the cause of it. Is it that I have become like the fossils of yesteryear, longing for the good old days, without realizing that they were not so good? Am I looking back through rose colored glasses?

I wish some of you younger kids or some of you who are young at heart could explain this behavior to me so I could understand the motivation. I am at a loss to understand it.

New User
MarybelandCats
0 Kudos

Not reading Hush Hush first is like getting to the climax of a story only to find out the missing puzzle was at the beginning of the book . . .and someone ripped out the pages!

Reader
Time_Stand_Still

If I would have had the time I could have sat and devoured this book in one sitting. Becca has a skill of tempting her reader as the story goes. Giving just enough to make you jump to conclusions but not enough to be convinced you are right. It's like riding the archangel rollercoaster, steady suspense and quick drop action and then back to steady suspense and so it goes. I always hope sophomore books are as good as their predecessors but in this case I think it was better. I believe because we already know the characters and can accept their actions more freely. I really loved Vee in this book but am really curious to know how she will justify what happened in this book in the next book. And just how long do I have to wait? Now I know that getting the ARC sprinting through it just makes for a longer wait, but still this book is a fantastic read.

Contributor
Landylan
0 Kudos

Sarah-W wrote:

I had the same question, and wonder why not. If the fallen angels seem to be capable of a lot of things, why impersonating another angel not be one of those.

Contributor
Fallen_AngelMR
0 Kudos

Really enjoyed how emotional Nora was.  Becca really brought out the insecure teen in all of us.  The I-just-poured-my-heart-out-and-now-what, type feeling. 

I found it very eery how Scott's mom was afraid of Scott.  And never once did I think that they would ever hook up. 

Am I the only one who thought this book was a bit "New Moonish" as in lacking the main male character?  I know we're on certain chapts right now but it left me wanting MORE Patch and Nora.  There defenitely was NOT enough of them in Crescendo.  I still loved this book but seriously left me wanting more right now!

Contributor
spain108
0 Kudos

Ooo nice observation! I'm liking this theory.

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Sarah-W wrote:

Fitzpatrick definitely provides a reason for Nora's mother's frequent absence as you get further into the book. Whether or not it will satisfy the past few commenters remains to be seen. I'll be very interested in hearing what you think. For me, the reason seemed sort of chilling, and turned Nora's mother into a very unreliable and totally untrustworthy character. 

A common theme in this book is the question of who can Nora trust? Her mother is simultaneously overprotective and totally unavailable. Patch seems fickle and undependable. Scott is clearly a basket case. Even Vee has a tendency to get caught up with her boyfriends and leave Nora on her own. At least Marcie can be depended upon to be a bully!

Sarah-W Great obsevation's I especially like the Marcie comment..So true..: )..As we get further into the book..We will know and have some questions answered..Becca  always has  us finding the missing puzzle pieces..scrambling around..Thats why I loved HH..Susan..Looking forward to "Tempest"  Susan

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
0 Kudos

I love the way Becca just gives me enough information to leave me wanting more. So I have to keep reading and turning the pages. Very hard book to read in sections. Becca did a great job in this book. Really looking forward to Tempest.

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

pen21 wrote:

Vermontcozy wrote:

BreaEssex wrote:

aprilh wrote:

Forbidden_Love wrote:

I really like the introductions of Nora's dreams into the storytelling.  And chapter 10's inclusion of Patch into her dreams was a great twist.  I found the necklace part particularly interesting...could they now have secret meetings in her dreams?  Could he "feel" her in her dreams....obvioulsy it was real on some level since the necklace disappeared.  These are just some of the anticipations that that particular part had me asking....

I also thought the way Patch could now communicate with Nora through her dreams was a brilliant twist to the story. While reading this part, I was going back and forth about whether or not it was real, but after she woke up and found the necklace he had given her gone, I was convinced it had to be real. I hope we get to see more interaction between Nora and Patch in this way. I feel like Nora learned so much more about what Patch had been up to in her dream, then she would have found out if she had just been having a conversation with him.

The dream twist is definitely brilliant.  I was wondering whether it was real or not as I was reading, but the necklace being gone definitely convinced me that it was real.

It was I agree brilliant..Also..The Dream about Marcie's father.Clue to what is to come...Do you think Nora is getting Stronger in That World?...Acquiring new skills..

New skills... I hadn't thought of it that way. I like that.  It would make a lot of sense.

It occured to me because of her hearing Patchs Thoughts,and her Dreams being so vivid,but who is that in her head feeding her those dreams..Plus after reading Nicole Peelers"Tempest Rising" and "Tracking the Tempest" in the world that Nora is in now,she needs to be stronger and figure out what is going on...Susan,

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer